Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

deckplate mod advice and detection

Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
ARBman is on a distinguished road
Name: jobro
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
deckplate mod advice and detection

from talking to you guys i have decided to do the deckplate mod, first off can i just take the air box out and cut the hole and install the deckplat and keep every thing else the same
Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
yes.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
yep, unscrew the bolts holding the air box in and just detatch it, take out the air filter and cut the hole, most people do the 4in size which is what i did. Make sure after you cut the hole u wash it out thoroughly to get all the plastic shreds out of the box. Put some sensor safe sealant around the hole and stick the plate in there. Put the box back in and if the check engine light goes on its most likely due to the sealant but mine went away after 30 minutes. goodluck!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
so i need the screws and the sealant to install the deck plate.and i have the stock papper filter would it help if i put a K&N filter in
Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
I have an AFE pro dry filter and i like it, and all the instructions for the deck plate mod say to screw it in but the sealant holds it in very well so i didn't even do screws, but yes the sealant you can find at any checker/o reilly/auto zone store for under 5 bucks
Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
i have the v6 could i fit a 5 inch
Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #7

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
i have the v6 as well, you probably could but a 4 inch hole is big enough and you wont see any performance increase between a 4 and 5 inch deck plate
Old 07-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
ya, so did u take the silencers out of yours.so u leave the center of the deckplate in right
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #9

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
i left the silencers in, and by leaving the center of the deck plate in do u mean leave it screwed in? no you leave it unscrewed so u allow more air in
Old 07-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
oh ya i see what u mean i just went out to my boat and was looking at one.dose it make alot of nose or dose it sound B*D A*S
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
It gives it a growl to it, yes. I love mine. I'm running a stock air filter as well. Just leave it out when you are driving, and put it on when offroad. I'd leave the silencers in. Also, use a 4" deckplate.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
Question

ya i don't quite under stand what the deckplate dose fill me in
Old 07-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Better throttle response, about a 6 HP gain, and possibly a small improvement on your MPG (Depends on driving style and whatnot, but about 1-2 MPG increase usually). It's cheap and has awesome benefits. My favourite mod on my truck, by far. Also, when your RPMs get to 3k and above, it's louder and has a nice growl to it. It sounds pretty good. Keep the top unscrewed while you drive the streets. When you hit the dirt to offroad, screw the top back in. More air flow, meaning the engine can breath better as well.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
Drewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
Drewboto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARBman View Post
ya i don't quite under stand what the deckplate dose fill me in
In order to let MORE air into the airbox (provides more power and fuel efficiency) a hole needs to be cut in the filter box to let more air in. The problem with a big hole in the box is that water, dirt and leaves can get in the filter box which will clog and shorten the life of your filter. Also if water gets sucked into your engine, it usually does not end well for your engine. A deck plate ring will let air in through the opening in the custom made hole as well as water and other debris. If you plan off-roading or driving through big puddles or streams, you should fill the hole with the deckplate cap. The cap is water tight and keeps crap out although you'll be back to the original stock airflow and performance. Open for power, closed to keep clean
Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
ok went to advanced and got the sealant going to the boat shop to get the deckplate tomo
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
Drewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
Drewboto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARBman View Post
ok went to advanced and got the sealant going to the boat shop to get the deckplate tomo
You'll wanna make sure you got a good cutting tool. That plastic box is harder to cut than it looks. Good luck man. Let us know how it goes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
ARBman's Tacoma Gallery
ya i was thinking along the lines of a sawzol
Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #18
straightaxle is on a distinguished road

Name: Jordan
straightaxle's Tacoma Gallery
i used a dremal and it wasnt too bad