1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TacomaEX, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Jul 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    TacomaEX

TacomaEX [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Chrome Aires Bull Bar Chrome T-Rex Mesh Grill Hella 500 fog lights LED headlights K&N cold air intake
    Im looking at dual exhaust for my Tacoma, what size output should I get? I was thinking 2.25" output in order to maximize performance, but I'm not sure, I want to make sure I don't lose back pressure/power by putting on duals, anybody know what setup works best?

2. Jul 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Without re-tubing the entire system- You are better off running a single tube to a dual output muffler. You aren't going to have to worry about back pressure so much as exhaust scavenge flow.

Dynomax, Wicker Flow, Magnaflow all have had good reviews. Check out YouTube or around here to see what sound you like.

3. Jul 3, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    I would run a single tube to a dual output muffler and have the piping be 2.5

4. Jul 4, 2010 at 2:11 AM
    TacomaEX

TacomaEX [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Chrome Aires Bull Bar Chrome T-Rex Mesh Grill Hella 500 fog lights LED headlights K&N cold air intake
    Shit, I wish I'd seen your post before I ordered the muffler, I just ordered 2.25" dual output, will that work just as well? Im sure if i keep everything in the original packaging then I can just return it and order the 2.5". Also, I saw a post on here that said that the smaller the pipe the louder it is, so would 2.25 maybe sound even better? Or would it be too loud? I dont wanna have to yell over the sound of it whil Im in the cab, but when I floor it, I want my truck to scream.

5. Jul 4, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    tacomakid96

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    2.25 will sound good, I have always found bassed on my personal experiences that the bigger the pipe the louder/more toned the exhaust sounds. But I just threw a flowmaster 50 series delta flow on my truck and just welded it to the stock piping and it sounds great, good tone and not to loud. 2.25 will sound just fine coming out duals throw some good looking tips on their and you will be set man.

6. Jul 4, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    TacomaEX

TacomaEX [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Awesome thanks man

7. Jul 4, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    tacomakid96

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    Yep good luck

8. Jul 6, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    my 3 inch sounds mean, but I think I lost some low end it doesnt feel as peppy even with the supercharger. Maybe my magnaflow.

9. Jul 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    militaco

militaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab, '99 Regular Cab

X2

thats what i did.........more air for the S/C

10. Jul 7, 2010 at 3:30 AM
    TacomaEX

TacomaEX [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    How much difference is there between a 2.5 and a 2.25 inch? I wanna make sure I do this right the first time so that I dont have to go back and do it twice.

11. Jul 7, 2010 at 4:30 AM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Wow I've heard from many that the three inch really opens it all up for the SC. Hmm. Are you running DTLT's? Im sure that would Pepp you right back up. Oh and just wondering when was the last time your tuned with you MAF Cali. This is the reason Toyota dont like Aftermarket Intakes running with the TRD SC. When they flash your ECU it's programed with the specs of the stock intake setup. I know the AFE SI is pretty damn close to stock specs in regards to the MAF. So I'd try seeing what open loop and closed loop readings look like.

To OP, sorry my mind is all wrapped around TRD SC's and 3" Exh. so I had to chime in there for a sec. As for your ride, seeing that its mainly stock for right now, I'd highly suggest saving money, purchase a good single in dual out Magnaflow or wicked Flow as stated earlier, and I'd say go no bigger than 3" on rear pipes, leaving front pipe stock.

Going for the Dual Exh. set up is just for looks. You will have negative gains if you tried a true Dual setup on a NA motor. Dont even think a SC 1GR will see positive gains.

If this is the look you want, I say go for it:D

12. Jul 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Cool some response, I thought that it was going to open it up more, but stoplight runs just don't feel as like it throws you into your seat as much.

Im not running DTLTs but I will most likely in the future cause I found a really good exhaust guy and it would be easy for him to put it on and take it off.

I haven't ever adjusted my MAF CAL, I don't have a map sensor, but I figured I would leave it until I meet somebody who can actually walk me through tuning this beast.

Products Discussed in

To Top