Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Dual Exhaust

Old 07-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
TacomaEX is on a distinguished road
Army:
TacomaEX's Tacoma Gallery
Dual Exhaust

Im looking at dual exhaust for my Tacoma, what size output should I get? I was thinking 2.25" output in order to maximize performance, but I'm not sure, I want to make sure I don't lose back pressure/power by putting on duals, anybody know what setup works best?
Old 07-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Without re-tubing the entire system- You are better off running a single tube to a dual output muffler. You aren't going to have to worry about back pressure so much as exhaust scavenge flow.

Dynomax, Wicker Flow, Magnaflow all have had good reviews. Check out YouTube or around here to see what sound you like.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
I would run a single tube to a dual output muffler and have the piping be 2.5
Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Army:
2.5" Duals

Shit, I wish I'd seen your post before I ordered the muffler, I just ordered 2.25" dual output, will that work just as well? Im sure if i keep everything in the original packaging then I can just return it and order the 2.5". Also, I saw a post on here that said that the smaller the pipe the louder it is, so would 2.25 maybe sound even better? Or would it be too loud? I dont wanna have to yell over the sound of it whil Im in the cab, but when I floor it, I want my truck to scream.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2.25 will sound good, I have always found bassed on my personal experiences that the bigger the pipe the louder/more toned the exhaust sounds. But I just threw a flowmaster 50 series delta flow on my truck and just welded it to the stock piping and it sounds great, good tone and not to loud. 2.25 will sound just fine coming out duals throw some good looking tips on their and you will be set man.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Army:
2.25" vs. 2.5"

Awesome thanks man
Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #7

Yep good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
my 3 inch sounds mean, but I think I lost some low end it doesnt feel as peppy even with the supercharger. Maybe my magnaflow.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
I would run a single tube to a dual output muffler and have the piping be 2.5

X2

thats what i did.........more air for the S/C
Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #10
Army:
How much difference is there between a 2.5 and a 2.25 inch? I wanna make sure I do this right the first time so that I dont have to go back and do it twice.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #11
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
my 3 inch sounds mean, but I think I lost some low end it doesnt feel as peppy even with the supercharger. Maybe my magnaflow.
Wow I've heard from many that the three inch really opens it all up for the SC. Hmm. Are you running DTLT's? Im sure that would Pepp you right back up. Oh and just wondering when was the last time your tuned with you MAF Cali. This is the reason Toyota dont like Aftermarket Intakes running with the TRD SC. When they flash your ECU it's programed with the specs of the stock intake setup. I know the AFE SI is pretty damn close to stock specs in regards to the MAF. So I'd try seeing what open loop and closed loop readings look like.

To OP, sorry my mind is all wrapped around TRD SC's and 3" Exh. so I had to chime in there for a sec. As for your ride, seeing that its mainly stock for right now, I'd highly suggest saving money, purchase a good single in dual out Magnaflow or wicked Flow as stated earlier, and I'd say go no bigger than 3" on rear pipes, leaving front pipe stock.

Going for the Dual Exh. set up is just for looks. You will have negative gains if you tried a true Dual setup on a NA motor. Dont even think a SC 1GR will see positive gains.

If this is the look you want, I say go for it
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Wow I've heard from many that the three inch really opens it all up for the SC. Hmm. Are you running DTLT's? Im sure that would Pepp you right back up. Oh and just wondering when was the last time your tuned with you MAF Cali. This is the reason Toyota dont like Aftermarket Intakes running with the TRD SC. When they flash your ECU it's programed with the specs of the stock intake setup. I know the AFE SI is pretty damn close to stock specs in regards to the MAF. So I'd try seeing what open loop and closed loop readings look like.

To OP, sorry my mind is all wrapped around TRD SC's and 3" Exh. so I had to chime in there for a sec. As for your ride, seeing that its mainly stock for right now, I'd highly suggest saving money, purchase a good single in dual out Magnaflow or wicked Flow as stated earlier, and I'd say go no bigger than 3" on rear pipes, leaving front pipe stock.

Going for the Dual Exh. set up is just for looks. You will have negative gains if you tried a true Dual setup on a NA motor. Dont even think a SC 1GR will see positive gains.

If this is the look you want, I say go for it
Cool some response, I thought that it was going to open it up more, but stoplight runs just don't feel as like it throws you into your seat as much.

Im not running DTLTs but I will most likely in the future cause I found a really good exhaust guy and it would be easy for him to put it on and take it off.

I haven't ever adjusted my MAF CAL, I don't have a map sensor, but I figured I would leave it until I meet somebody who can actually walk me through tuning this beast.