1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBA or Doug Thorley Headers sound

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by mnudo200827, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Jul 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    mnudo200827

mnudo200827 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner
    Icon Coilovers, All-Pro UCA's, All Pro 3" Leaf Springs, Rear Fox Adjustable Shocks, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 17" KMC Addicts wrapped in 305/65/17 KM2's, Kenwood DDX 512 stereo, 2 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subs in custom enclosure, 4 component speakers, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    I am sure i know the answer to this but do shorty headers make a big difference in sound, more deeper is what i am looking for and no raspyness. I heard the Doug Thorley Long Tubes make a raspy sound to them and i dont want that. I plan on running a magnaflow single in/dual out, either with turn down or tips coming out the side where the stock exhaust is. Also do you get more performance out of the long tubes opposed to the shortys.

2. Jul 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bump! :D

3. Jul 5, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    The DTLT's sound and perform much better than the shorties. Shorties were only noticeable when I removed the rear cats via a URD Y-pipe. If you run the Long Tubes with stock Y, and a good A/M Muffler I.e. Magnaflow, Aero, or similar; the exh note will be sweet and no rasp. Only rasp I had was when I ran the LT headers with the Pipebomb Y-pipe.

Plus when you factor in the install process of shorties, welding the cats to them and all, the price sort of equals out.

I say DTLT FTW...:D

4. Jul 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    mnudo200827

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coilovers, All-Pro UCA's, All Pro 3" Leaf Springs, Rear Fox Adjustable Shocks, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 17" KMC Addicts wrapped in 305/65/17 KM2's, Kenwood DDX 512 stereo, 2 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subs in custom enclosure, 4 component speakers, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    ya thats what i had figured but i live in cali, and the long tubes are illegal here, but i guess i could always keep the stock exhaust and put it on for smog, but it sounds like you have had experience with both right? When you say the shorties were only noticable when you put on the URD Y-pipe, do you mean in performance or in sound or both. and it sounds like you have the long tubes on right now, what type of muffler do you have right now and with the shorties. was it single or dual in/ single or dual out, did you have exhaust tips. which sounded deeper in the low range of the rpm? Sorry but i may have more questions later on that i cant think of right now, but since it sounds like you have delt with both you seem like the person to talk to and hopefully there are some others that have experience with both cause i only want to do this once and want to get it right the first time. Thanks for the input so far.

5. Jul 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!

Got lots of free time on my hands, LOL... Last leg of deployments suck, and bordom is kicking in. But anyhow, back to your questions.

Ok, Cali might be the only reason I would not mess with the DTLT's. If you are willing to do all the uninstall and reinstall work for smog testing, than I'd say why not.

The URD Y-pipe opened up the JBA's. Remember the biggest reason DTLT's have a pretty good HP gain is due to front CATs being removed. You can get somewhat of an increase by removing the rear CATs when running the Shorties. But believe me I still felt an awesome increase going from JBA to DTLT with the URD y-pipe installed for both set ups. Night and day.

I've always had a Borla C/B running on my truck, single in single out side exit with a tip. Awesome set up. Just that curiosity and the Mod bug got me trying all sorts of set ups. First added a resonator in prep for the DTLT's, still was too damn loud for me at the time due the the Y-pipe. Then dumped after the axel. And the latest is my Muffler minus the resonator brought up to the front and exiting before the passenger rear wheel with a tip.

I can tell you this. Leaving the stock Y-pipe, stock exh. minus the muffler, then adding a Magnaflow, Aero, or Dynomax Super Turbo paired with the DTLT will be all said and done.

Now, being you are in a tree hugging save the Kuwala's state, j/k... Id get the JBA or better yet the Doug Thorley Shorties, weld on the cats. run the same set up, but order the URD Y-Pipe. It will growl and give you a little more needed umph... in the Midrange rpm's. Then when it's time for inspection, your uninstall & install will take no more than an hour all together. Lot easier than tackling the headers come every inspection.

In the end you know the DTLT's are the best way to go, but your biggest delema is not the Exh. note, it's wether or not you are willing to risk possible fines, or just dealing with the minimal hassle of returning to stock before inspect.

Here are a few links to Vid clips:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tacoma-videos/7591-my-trd-sport-without-rear-cats.html

& this one. Look around I posted a few on there.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/14558-sound-clip-compilation-thread.html

Laters...

GingerSasquatch likes this.
  6. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    mnudo200827

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    man thanks so much for your help but got a few more ?'s for you...I plan on getting the shorties,either JBA or DT, just be easier, and i also plan on getting a magnaflow single in(2.5")/ dual out(2.5"), with tips coming out the side. DO you think i should get a 14", 18", 24" muffler, basically i want to be able to hear it inside the cab windows up while idling, want to hear it when cruising on highway, not super loud, but pretty decent level and obviosly it is going to roar at WOT. i dont know how much you know about these mufflers and there sizes but people usually get the 14" cause it is the loudest, but with the headers and dual exhaust and tips, i am thinking it will be to loud while cruising, so i was thinking 18" or 24". But your opinion is much appreciated. Thanks again for the help.:D

7. Jul 7, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I don't have any Taco experience, but I ran an 18" Magnaflow on my Dakota 4.7 for several years (actually went thru 2 of them). It was borderline on the noise level, no drone though, sounded great outside, but towards the end of my Dakota time, I was wanting more noise suppression. End of the day, it depends on you, if you like it loud 14, like some noise but still can be loud 18, like the noise only at, or near, WOT, get the 24. Even then realize you may need to move up or down to get what you want, i.e., budget for 2 mufflers.

Products Discussed in

To Top