Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&N 63 Series AirCharger

Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
TacticalTaco is on a distinguished road
TacticalTaco's Tacoma Gallery
K&N 63 Series AirCharger

Anyone have one of these on their truck ? I'm considering getting one, but I'm concerned about it voiding my warranty and I have a lease. I looked at the install instructions and there are no permanent modifications though. According to K&N you're supposed to gain about 10 HP. The other thing I'm curious about is how it sounds ?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I think the only damage that it would cause would be to the MAF sensor. I'm not a big fan of oiled filters because of that tendency. I think that I might look into the AFE.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I agree. The oilded filters definetly leave a residue in the intake (especially if they are brand new). That residue can fowl up an MAF, but if you stay on top of it with some electronics cleaner it can be fixed. The oil will not hurt the engine.

I have had a number of K&Ns, and didn't have any problems until I got into the 4.0L Tacoma. The Tacoma engine is pretty sensitive to MAF issues.

DO NOT USE OILED FILTERS ON SUPERCHARGED or TURBO'ED ENGINES! You will pull in too much oil and fowl up your sensors!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
TacticalTaco is on a distinguished road
TacticalTaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Just found this on the K&N website, they seem to think that Dealers claiming the MAF sensor was damaged is just an excuse to ding their customers. But if you guys have actually had this problem maybe the K&N isn't the way to go.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post

Just found this on the K&N website, they seem to think that Dealers claiming the MAF sensor was damaged is just an excuse to ding their customers. But if you guys have actually had this problem maybe the K&N isn't the way to go.
It is definitely a problem on the drop in filters. The kits may have some kind of guard to protect the MAF, but I have notice that all (even the AFE filter) oiled filters have this problem to some extent...

Like I said, the cleaning of the MAF will temporarily fix this problem.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTaco View Post

I believe everything the manufacturer website tells me!

Seriously though, I bet most problems with K&N come from improper oiling. I'd rather not risk it though.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Seriously though, I bet most problems with K&N come from IMPROPER OILING.
Can't agree more I have K/N's in all my cars and trucks and have not had any problems to date they are just like the TRD filter that Toyota sells. Now would I run out and buy one probably not but when you recondition cars and trucks for living there are some perks you get some free stuff now and then.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
i have the series 63 charger on my truck and im happy with it. the only problem people have is when they oil it themselves and over due it. when it came to cleaning time on mine i just ordered another filter and didnt even bother cleaning it cuz i didnt wanna over oil it. the sound is nice on WOT and i do feel a kick around 3500. but i also have a magnaflow catback and jba headers
Old 06-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
Can't agree more I have K/N's in all my cars and trucks and have not had any problems to date they are just like the TRD filter that Toyota sells. Now would I run out and buy one probably not but when you recondition cars and trucks for living there are some perks you get some free stuff now and then.
Just put a K&N drop-in in my wife's 08 Accord 3.5 V6. I've had K&N's in everything previous until this 08 truck. Never had any problems either.

I went AFE oil free in the truck for ease of use but it wasn't available for her Honda yet.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
branct06 has a spectacular aura aboutbranct06 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Thomas
branct06's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 63 in my truck along with a flowmaster super 40, the intake as a good roar when u take off hard, i recently re-oiled my filter and havent had a problem, at least i havent noticed one but u can feel a power increase when ur in over drive and stomp on the gas