Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust Help

Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
park713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant future
park713vmn's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust Help

Hey guys, so I just added a Flowmaster 50 series to my '05 2.7 liter tacoma. It was a lot louder than I expected and has some popping when I shift. Has anyone else experienced this? When I went back to the shop the mechanic said this was a normal thing for 4 and 6 cylinder engines because of back pressure. He suggested a "turbo pipe" that is installed in front of the muffler, that would relieve exhaust noise and the popping by 50%, however you lose "performance" has anyone ever heard of this? And lastly, when I asked if adding a header would help alleviate any of the popping, he said if anything it would add more. Is there any truth to this? I also have an AFE pro dry-s if that makes a difference.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like he's suggesting a restrictor plate. That would certainly quiet it down and rob some of your performance.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
headers will most deff make it worse. the engine always pops, you just cant usually hear it because they are muffled. with a straight through or a muffler with minimal baffling it would be louder. headers add more flow which will make it louder yet. turbo pipe adds back pressure which in turn mufflers the popping but the additional back pressure will decrease performance. I have a magnaflow performance muffler that has very good flow and also has good baffling to muffle popping.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
park713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant futurepark713vmn has a brilliant future
Thanks for the help so far guys. So perhaps a different exhaust is in order...
Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The Chokemaster itself will take some power away.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
I was getting it more to help gas mileage. I didn't really think an exhaust system on a 4 cylinder would help all that much, but do you really think it will make it lose power?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, Flowmaster mufflers (most) cause a loss of performance. They are a baffled muffler, and actually have less CFM flow than the OEM one. What you need is a resonator installed after the muffler. Also..."Back pressure" should be very minimal in a modern engine, if any at all. Scavenging is what affects the performance of the engine.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by park713vmn View Post
I was getting it more to help gas mileage. I didn't really think an exhaust system on a 4 cylinder would help all that much, but do you really think it will make it lose power?
with my magnaflow i got a 2-3mpg increase. also, i got a decent gain in power without excessive noice. the magnaflow was a perfect combo of performance power mpg and price
Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll be swapping for a magnaflow. Is there a particular model I should be looking for, do they have different series like flowmaster? Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #10

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Magnaflow 5x11x22. 2.5" in and out.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
those who seek fear shall be followed by fear
TacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud of

Name: Chuck
TacomaMtnMan's Tacoma Gallery
IMO I dont recommend Flowmaster for our trucks... like many have said these were designed for larger engines V8 +. Many with Flowmaster have complained of popping or ricey sounds on a V6 or smaller.