Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How am I welding my exhast wrong?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Beeson is just really niceBeeson is just really niceBeeson is just really niceBeeson is just really nice

EMS:
Name: Ryan
Beeson's Tacoma Gallery
How am I welding my exhast wrong?

Hi there, I'm not too experienced a welder and I am sure this is probably very simply answered. One side of my exahast (it's a cat-back) is disconnected at the muffler, and I have repeatedly tried welding it back up (very poorly; can't seem to get a good, solid weld on) only to have it disconnect again a few days later. I think that either I am somehow dealing with two different types of metal here (which I don't know how that could be, because it's a flowmaster kit) or maybe I am using the wrong wire to weld with. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
you got a picture? sometimes if it real dirty or rusted the clean metal will catch the flux and bond good, but the dirty part it will just sit on top and cool off and not make any penetration. +1 on not welding too hot, but also make sure it's not too cool either or you won't get any good penetration. I suggest you now take it off and grind a good exposed spot of shiny metal on the muffler and then try to do the same on the pipe.