Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Installed the "PIPE-BOMB" y-pipe

Old 06-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Installed the "PIPE-BOMB" y-pipe

hey guys well the installation went smooth but it was a tight fit, i mean really TIGHT fit. so far ive only driven it to work which was bout 5 miles away and so far so good. there is a little rattle comin from under the drivers seat which i think its the heat shield rubbing on the resonator. i have to check that out when i get off work and hope thats whats makin the rattle. will update further later
Old 06-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

anyone have an idea on what else the rattle noise can be?? it happens when im stopped at a red light and when i turn the A/C on... truck definitly pulls alot harder in the mid range
Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Pics/Video are required.

I don't know about the rattle though, sorry.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Tuned By Gadget

heres pics of it before installation
">

">
Old 06-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
anyone have an idea on what else the rattle noise can be?? it happens when im stopped at a red light and when i turn the A/C on... truck definitly pulls alot harder in the mid range
When I replaced the CAT's with a section of straight pipe, the hanger that went in the rubber gromet was loose. Guess the CATs were heavier, so I had to tighten with hose clamps. After a while that rattle kept coming back. Turns out it was the Aluminized piping that was welded on making that rattling tin can noise. Thats why I got the Y-pipe.

Hope this aint the case for you. The pipe bombs should be stainless steel thick gauge piping. But check under the truck while its running, if you hear that rattle, use something to put light pressure on the pipe. If that stops it, then you probably have to find away to tighten up hangers.

Sorry so long, just though I'd chime in. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Tuned By Gadget

thank you for the feed back roxspin72, much appreciated.

the pipe bomb is made of aluminized mild steel pipes, can that be the case??? when i took a quick glance under the truck after driving it i saw the heat shield kinda close to the resonator. do u have any rattling with the y-pipe?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
thank you for the feed back roxspin72, much appreciated.

the pipe bomb is made of aluminized mild steel pipes, can that be the case??? when i took a quick glance under the truck after driving it i saw the heat shield kinda close to the resonator. do u have any rattling with the y-pipe?
No rattling with the Y-pipe. I like the design of the Pipe Bomb but not an advocate of aluminized steel. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying thats the prob though. I think in my case, it was due more to cheap weld job.

One other aspect to look at is the the CAT's use to be where now the resonators are, Im sure that aluminized piping is putting off an emense amount of more heat than your CATs were. That could be effecting the heat shield somehow.

See if the noise is at start up, or after warming up?
Only when you throttle up, or all the time?

You got to rule out all possible factors. And hopefully the noise is not the piping itself.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Tuned By Gadget

UPDATE

aight so the heat shield was touching the resenator so i bent it up a little and now no more rattle at idle! the sound while idle and lower rpms is deeper and on WOT it screams. u can really hear it goin out the tip. little raspy but not bad at all. lost a little low end but definitly pulls through the mid-higher rpms. and also cruises and breathes alot better while at cruising speeds.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Enjoying my addiction

Congrats...

The rear CAT's are just tree huggers influence on the automobile industry, LOL. The Y-pipe and Pipe Bomb definately were meant to increase effectiveness of the Headers...

Enjoy..
Old 06-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
The Y-pipe and Pipe Bomb definately were meant to increase effectiveness of the Headers...

Enjoy..

yea now i feel alot more use of my JBAs... it feels like it wants to breath more and more when u accelerate at normal speed. with my magnaflow cat-back and k&N its def a good combo. im gonna try to get some video for you guys tonight when i get off work, if not then by the end of the weekend.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Tuned By Gadget

UPDATE 2

heres a sound clip from behind. i will also have drive by and in cab sound clips this weekend. what you guys think?
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ent=y-pipe.flv