Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Should I upgrade my exhaust?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
LoudDog is on a distinguished road
LoudDog's Tacoma Gallery
Should I upgrade my exhaust?

2005 4x4 tacoma, V6, stock except a K&N intake and rear springs.

I frequently tow a travel trailer with it, about 4500 pounds.

I put the K&N in mostly to improve fuel economy and it worked well adding almost 2 mpg. It may have added more power and more towing power, but it may be my imagination due to the increased sound.

The kid in me would love to make my truck sound more bas @ss, but the responsible adult in me says that is really not a priority. If I were to do it, it would be for fuel economy and/or better power/towing power.

I came across a guy at a campground recently that had a cherry bomb exhaust in his taco with stock intake. he said it made a difference in tow power and fuel economy, and it sounded bad @ss (even at idle), which is what got me interested in it.

Thanks for any opinions, thoughts, or anything. I'm just starting my research so anything helps.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would stay away from an aftermarket exhaust if you plan on towing a lot. It won't give you more power or better fuel economy, it will just create drone while pulling on the freeway. If you want a little deeper/ louder sound, I would dump your stock exhaust over the rear axle. Just cut it with a reciprocating saw and it will only take a few minutes.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I agree! I have a Banks system on mine. It sounds great, but when you're towing in Drive for hours sometimes, it tends to be loud. I'm thinking about selling or trading for a TRD system.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I upgrade my exhaust?-lion-country-safari-59-.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Banned
Tacoma3232 will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Fireman, EMT
Name: Brandon
Tacoma3232's Tacoma Gallery
Don't Do It I towed from San Diego to Sacramento to go camping worst sound. I tried everything to help turned radio up windows down it just resonates to much with a cherry bomb. But good luck which ever way you go.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
i just put in a dynomax super turbo on mine. ive done about 7 hours of highway driving and no drone at all.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Your not gonna get any significant power from a cat back. If you want the saound, then fine. Check out Youtube for Tacoma Exhaust, and listen, and see what you like.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
LoudDog is on a distinguished road
LoudDog's Tacoma Gallery
thanks all. The K&N intake alone can be loud enough on hills when towing so good point on the sound. If it's not going to help power or economy I'm out!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
rectoyo is on a distinguished road

Name: Robert
rectoyo's Tacoma Gallery
So what would be a good exhaust that isn't loud but yet sounds good and gives good performance? Thank u for any opinions.