Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

5vz-fe potential

Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
autowagon is on a distinguished road
autowagon's Tacoma Gallery
5vz-fe potential

sick of looking at all these threads full of cosmetic bs.
--The 5vz-fe is a short stroke engine that if it were not in our little trucks one would think was designed for a sports car or racing purposes. The engine minus the heads is made to rev to the moon. The stroke and bore imply 8 to 9k rev limit. It also has an aggressive rod ratio (which smokey Yunik liked so much on his racing chevy 350 builds, and more recently has been theorized from a completely different perspective (sport compact car magazine, i think read it in) as a deterrent to piston wobble on high revving engines. These engines are stout and known to hold together great with power adders. Obviously the heads and cams are huge limitations, as are the cast pistons. The greatest limitations imposed on this engine are simply that of the general imagination. The engine won't fit in much. And the production run mating it to crappy heads and 4by4 drivetrain has also deterred the hearts and minds of hot rodders. (although 1k hp in an MR2 is insane 400 na hp would be slightly more sane)
-------The questions i want to know are:
has anyone broke 1000 hp with the 5vz-fe?
what is the top NA hp range achieved?
I recall in the old days they used to talk about the main journal bearings diameter as it relates to the rev ability of the engine in old 60's mustangs and stuff, is that pertinent here?
What is this measurement on the 5 vz-fe what does it imply and would it be easily changed via machining?
What other limitations do the head designs present if a guy were to make some high duration cams, and try and port the heads as much as possible?
What after market pistons are available for this engine now that sea2sky tuning has apparently disappeared off of the internet?
Does anyone know of inherent limitations as far as oiling and coolant flow in the block or heads that may prevent a 1000k hp build?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Reply:

1. Has anyone broke 1000 hp with the 5vz-fe? Yes; check my profile.

2. What is the top NA hp range achieved? 1,000,000.

3. I recall in the old days they used to talk about the main journal bearings diameter as it relates to the rev ability of the engine in old 60's mustangs and stuff, is that pertinent here? Absolutely.

4. What is this measurement on the 5 vz-fe what does it imply and would it be easily changed via machining? 3.497; implications; again, absolutely.

5. What other limitations do the head designs present if a guy were to make some high duration cams, and try and port the heads as much as possible? There are no limits, with my keen sense of engineering.

6. What after market pistons are available for this engine now that sea2sky tuning has apparently disappeared off of the internet? try cradle2grave

7. Does anyone know of inherent limitations as far as oiling and coolant flow in the block or heads that may prevent a 1000k hp build? It didn't stop me.

Hope my replies were informative. Welcome!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
so seriously, is there anyone who can shed some light on my inquiries? With an answer better than, yup, uh-huh, yup, i agree, yup, uh-huh, uh-huh, wouldn't you like to know.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Quills has a spectacular aura aboutQuills has a spectacular aura about

Name: Rodney Dinkens
Quills's Tacoma Gallery
ttora
Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Though the piston speed may indicate a theoretical 8 to 9k rev limit, the bottom end is no where near that capability. I have seen a few 5VZ engines putting down a reliable 280 hp to the tires, NA. But those were with new pistons, and such. To get near 1000 hp, you would need to completely re build the engine.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
That reminds me of another question. I think i read somewhere that the 3vz-fe has a main bearing support brace, and the 5vz-fe does not have this stock. Is this true? If so will this bolt up?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by autowagon View Post
so seriously, is there anyone who can shed some light on my inquiries? With an answer better than, yup, uh-huh, yup, i agree, yup, uh-huh, uh-huh, wouldn't you like to know.