Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Alternative to reinstalling stock headers for smog

Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Alternative to reinstalling stock headers for smog

Hey guys, im not sure if this has been covered, but I have an idea and im not sure if it is going to be effective.

I am currently running DTLT headers and im worried I may not be able to pass smog. I've already planned to slap the stock headers back on if I dont, but that is a lot of work.

My idea: get a cheap/free stock cat-back that someone doesnt want and get a shop to weld the two cats from my stock headers some where along the stock cat-back so when I slap it on and take my TRD cat-back off, it can pass smog.

My concern: does the distance from the engine make the cats less effective and possibly not allow me to pass smog?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
ttt
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know there's a way around CARB bullshits, unless you know someone.

I think it has to have a CARB sticker with a CARB number on it in plain sight on the firewall to pass visual inspection and then actually pass emissions testing to clear the smog certs.

I think these guys get slapped with big fines if they pass vehicles that don't actually pass the non-regulated California Air Resources Board requirements.

Fuck the CARB.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I don't know there's a way around CARB bullshits, unless you know someone.

I think it has to have a CARB sticker with a CARB number on it in plain sight on the firewall to pass visual inspection and then actually pass emissions testing to clear the smog certs.

I think these guys get slapped with big fines if they pass vehicles that don't actually pass the non-regulated California Air Resources Board requirements.

Fuck the CARB.
X2!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you'll need to be concerned with the distance from the engine for a cat. They are most effective when heated up, but what the actual distance is for when they are not "effective enough",,, I don't know.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
the distance from the engine only effects how long the cats take to heat up and start working from a cold startup. You won't pass the visual if they've been relocated but on an engine as new as ours it would probably still pass on actual emissions