Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How to Measure Engine Bay Temps

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Bobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant future

Army: C Co, 2nd Bat 75th Inf
Name: Bobo
Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
How to Measure Engine Bay Temps

I did a search and got zero hits. Anyone measured engine bay temps or know what I could use to do that?

I want to measure the temp of the air as it enters the stock induction at the fender well. Then, I want to also measure the temp at the front corner location that the K&N filter would sit in the engine bay.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Fluke thermometer with a flexible probe or something like that. A scanguage will tell you intake temps so can work as well.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
a wireless digital thermometer
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
something like this

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

just use some velcro to mount it
Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Bobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant future

Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
remove the sheathing around your horns and unwrap the temp sensor located in the middle of the grill. then you can move it just about anywhere in the bay with all the wire they give you. when your done wrap it back up and put it back. not the most accurate - but it's free and there already. should take no more then 30 minutes.
Where is the read out for the temp? Is this the gauge with the compass?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
craftsman multimeter w/ thermocouple attachment. stick it where you want and either have the multimeter go through a side window or duct tape it to the hood to see real time measurements while driving!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
lazer
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
^ that will only give the temp of the fender in the engine bay. as well as those things suck on shiny surfaces...

my and whippersnapper02's suggestions are the only real way to get real time accurate readings of engine temps in a specific location...
Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #9

Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Exactamondo. It tops out at about 130 and stops reading the temp. Luckily I can't remember the HOT days that were over the reading.
Sitting in my drive way yesterday in Tennessee it was reading 104!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #10

Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
Has no one measured temps in the engine bay with regard to where the CAI are placed? No one measured the MAF temps with different CAI systems?