LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD Exhaust Rattle

Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Exhaust Rattle

Hi,

I purchased a TRD exhaust about 2 weeks ago and installed it yesterday. I noticed that there is a bit of rattling when driving at low speeds and low RPM's. Just curious, is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this also?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak View Post
Hi,

I purchased a TRD exhaust about 2 weeks ago and installed it yesterday. I noticed that there is a bit of rattling when driving at low speeds and low RPM's. Just curious, is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this also?
Might be your catalytic converter...
Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny650 View Post
Might be your catalytic converter...
x2 that shits annoying
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure one of the very thin heat shields are not touching the exhaust.
They are real easy to bend while installing exhaust parts.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Silver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silver DC's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is starting to rattle when i put it in drive and start to pull off. It seems to be coming from inside the muffler. I've had it for a couple of months, I wonder if it's covered under the warranty.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
you need to crawl under while its running and try to pinpoint it. bang around the catalytic converter, the muffler, and see where it leads you.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Silver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver DC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silver DC's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't have this rattle until I installed this muffler. If I pry against the muffler with a pipe or pry bar the rattle goes away. It sounds like it coming from inside the muffler.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
So the rattling is coming from the muffler. Anyway to fix it?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Should be under warranty...

Quote:
So the rattling is coming from the muffler. Anyway to fix it?
I would return it. Sounds like a dud.. Maybe the Packing or something loose internally within the muffler. 2 weeks should be good to return to vendor, but you might have to return the whole system. If you got through dealer have them check it, and they will replace the muffler.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
DISCLAIMER: i cannot be hold responsible for any thing that can or will go wrong.
if warranty is not an option, try pin pointing exactly which baffle and where you need pressure applied in the muffler. take a hammer and dent the muffler in at that spot. be very careful because you can loosen another baffle and jack up the whole thing.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
No noise like that on mine. Have had it since December.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
No noise like that on mine and I have had it for about two years.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
No noise on mine. Had it since June 09. Should not be anything other than a sweet sweet exhaust note.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Like I said...

It's a Dud... Have it replaced.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
Rich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Rich Beauregard's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has rattle, I checked it out and found the rattle was coming from under the passanger side at the joint where thefront and rear exhaust bolt together. The doughnut gasket is leaking and the bolts with springs are slightly loose. As it now has 80,000 miles on it I know there is no warranty. Had 36K bumper to bumper w/ 70k on drivetrain. Anyway, I stopped in at my local stealership and they want $71.00 for 2 bolts w springs and the doughnut gasket. Yeah Right! No way! I can find 2 bolts and a gasket for a lot less. Oh crap! Just took a look at my front end and found wheel bearing on driver side is shot. Well, Hope you find your rattle, Rich
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #17
HawTaco is on a distinguished road
HawTaco's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Catback Rattle

Quote:
Hi,

Aloha
I had the same trouble and it drove me nuts. It seems the source is the collector flange to muffler area. Try tapping the pipe with a rubber mallet you will hear a rattle. It seems that the stock exhaust pipe between the flange and muffler was shorter and more ridged and heaver. I tighten up the first muffler hanger with a smaller rubber hanger that seemed to stop the rattle. you can use a metal hose clamp around the hangers to verify the problem.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No rattles on mine....
Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawTaco View Post
Aloha
I had the same trouble and it drove me nuts. It seems the source is the collector flange to muffler area. Try tapping the pipe with a rubber mallet you will hear a rattle. It seems that the stock exhaust pipe between the flange and muffler was shorter and more ridged and heaver. I tighten up the first muffler hanger with a smaller rubber hanger that seemed to stop the rattle. you can use a metal hose clamp around the hangers to verify the problem.
I'll give that a try. Thanks!