1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD SC re-flash and run-a-way acceleration recall re-flash incompatibility?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by bretcorbin, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    bretcorbin

bretcorbin [OP] New Member

Member:
    North San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X
    Borla Exhaust, K&N Cold Air Intake
    This is my first time posting but I have been reading for a couple of years I believe. Thanks to all who have contributed to my learning.

I have a 2005 Taco TRD Off Rd 4x4 dbl cab with MT and tow package. This is how I bought the truck new.

I tow a lightweight travel trailer as well as hunt which is where I use the 4x4 most. I think the TRD Off Road set up is just about perfect for my level of 4x4 usage and the towing capacity with the tow package is just barely shy of what I need/want. I had toyed with the idea of up-sizing to the Tundra but really like what I have and just wanted more HP and torque. So after looking at what is available new from Toyota and other manufactures and what I already have with available upgrades I decided on the TRD Supercharger.

I bought the SC and fit kit online from www.shoptrd.com and brought it to where I purchased the truck to have them install it. They had two problems, 1 minor and 1 huge. The minor problem was that after the SC install one of the hoses now hit the fan and had to be replaced with a modified new hose. I am curious if anyone else has had this issue.

The huge problem came from the fact that they did the "stuck accelerator" re-flash and when they went to do the SC reset/re-flash they were unable to do it. Ultimately they determined that they needed to replace the ECM (which is about $1K) and agreed to pay for it.

So the short story made long is to beware of adding a SC if you have had the recall done. I am an electrical engineer and deal with flashing hardware in my job pretty regularly and believe that Toyota, in an effort to get Congress off there backs came up with a re-flash for the "stuck accelerator" before doing all their homework and now they have an incompatibility issue.

Comments and corrections welcome as my vehicle is still at the dealer waiting on a new computer so don't have proof yet that this will fix it.

2. Aug 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    awwmann

awwmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    staten island new york/ redbank nj
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 double cab trd sport
    bilstein 5100/ 265/70/17
    just had mine installed last week had same problem with the hose and the reflash . took 2 days longer than promised but dealer replaced computer and hose under warrenty

3. Aug 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    I dont understand the hose issue.

the instructions specifically tell you to modify the hoses to the oil cooler and there is a new lower radiator hose that comes with the kit to clear the fan.

Just just didnt read :rolleyes:

The reflash is a surpriser.

Another path would be to just buy the APR X1 for 1200 and put that in. That way you dont need the TRD reflash at all and when you sell the truck, you call pull the S/C and X1 out and go right back to stock. And it will give you a few more ponies and the ability to custom tune to future bolt ons that you might add

Justin

4. Aug 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Yeah I had to modify the hoses as well as it said in the directions.

x100 on the x1 if you have to drop a grand anyways might as well get some more bang for your buck

5. Aug 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    bretcorbin

Member:
    North San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X
    I was curious if the dealer wasn't telling me the whole story about the hose and fan. They claimed there were no instructions saying to modify the hose. I gave them everything in unopened boxes and never saw the instructions. It makes more sense that it WAS in the instructions and the tech just didn't bother reading them.

6. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    awwmann

awwmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    staten island new york/ redbank nj
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 double cab trd sport
    bilstein 5100/ 265/70/17
    same thing happened to me so i dont know

7. Aug 11, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    Well since they weren't smart enough to read the directions on the hose the first thing I would do is make sure they routed the intercooler hoses correctly.

They should have put a sticker on the hood that shows the correct routing.

I have seen several TRD boosted trucks now that were routed incorrectly at the dealer.

8. Aug 12, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    bretcorbin

Member:
    North San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X
    Thanks for the tip SW. I will definitely make sure they applied the sticker and will verify the routing. When done wrong what was the symptom?

9. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    There is no symptom that I saw, I just always check other guys trucks out and its almost always wrong.

They basically route it so that the coolant is going uphill in the tank instead of flowing down through the tank....if it is wrong you could probaby argue your way into getting extended warranty on the truck and blower;)

10. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    its funny you say this but when I went to toyota to get my flash done the mechanic told me I routed mine wrong and it should be going through the tank uphill. I showed him the drawing and he couldn't understand it

11. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Never heard of the truck having any stuck throttle issues.

They also found out that the vast majorities of the stuck accelerators were operator error and could have been easily avoided, and then a bunch of idiots tried to cash in on the "problem" making it seem very common....:eek::eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top