1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAI a total sham??? Per Toyota service tech...

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ::childstoy::, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Aug 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: [OP] Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    I was talking to a friend of mine who I trust his word on this topic since he's been a Toyota service guy for around 10 years. I was talking to him yesterday about my new exhaust and potentially getting an intake. I've read alot of debate on here regarding the whole HP increase from a CAI, seams everyone is 6 on one side a half dozen on the other.

In his words he says- "Cold Air Intakes are pure bullshit on Tacomas." He said it already is if you consider it draws the air from the fender and not from under the hood. He states that he has seen NO difference in HP on a Dyno after the install of one and that I'm just wasting my $$$ if I buy one.

I asked him would it help if one was installed with an exhaust also... He said no way.

Is this true???

2. Aug 14, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    mreimann

mreimann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 double cab Limited
    Icon C/O, Fox 2.0, All Pro Expo 2.0 leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, Airflow snorkel, Custom Built Bed Rack, Pelfrey aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, All Pro aluminum rear bumper, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    thats understandable for the TRD intake. all it really does is just move the filter closer to the fender.

look into URD. it moves the intake in front of the radiator. now it's getting air from the front of the truck, not from inside the fender/engine bay

3. Aug 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: [OP] Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    Even so isnt everything just being restricted by the CATs then? That was basically by buddies point was no mater what intake or exhaust you put on the CAT will always hold you back.

4. Aug 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    Eh, think of it from a fluid dynamics point of view. Yes the cat is always going to restrict flow, but if it is the only thing in the system doing the restricting then there will still be more flow, right?
    Think about blowing water through a straw. The harder you blow the more water goes through the straw.
    If the only restriction in the airflow is the cat, then the high pressure built up in front of it will force more air through it.

Unless I'm totally wrong. Im not a physicist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

5. Aug 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I like the sound of power!!!!
    It may not add any but it sounds cool;)

6. Aug 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M
    My K&N CAI picked me 1-2 mpg's in my 6 speed...
    and that is with me driving it heavier these first two tanks.

Plus it sounds awesome, awesome is really an understatement wicked is more appropiate....

7. Aug 14, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    goblue64

goblue64 Active Member

Member:
    :D Haha classic!

I have a k&n and all it really has done is given the motor and exhaust a real nice rumble and a lil better throttle response I wouldn't say the truck is faster. Is it waist of money?? Ehhh for me no cause im happy with it. As soon as I get home from this hell hole I will be getting the urd kit though. There's so much information in this forum about the cai its crazy. So if you want some more muscle sound go with it. If you want more muscle then supercharger FTW!

8. Aug 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    It has been proven time and time again at the 1/4 mile on the X-Runner and Tacoma that removing the cats and adding an intake will improve your trap speeds.

Trap speed = power/weight ratio

On boosted set ups, a full race exhuast (long tubes, Y pipe, 3: catback) is showing around 45rwhp gains.

Tell your mechanic friend to go back to school. And dont let him install your parts either.:p;)

9. Aug 14, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    I find that the most service techs are about as smart as a box of rocks when it comes to performance. Most of them (not all) are only good at changing break pads and oil filters, and have no knowledge about the engineering behind most aftermarket parts.

People say cold air intake, and all they hear/think is "oh, cold air". That is a very tiny detail when it comes to properly engineered intakes. Air flow is much more important then 10°F. Reducing turbulence using a velocity stack, high flow filters, and MAF accuracy are all much more important then if its colder then stock or not.

And at the same time, not all vehicles are the same, nor do they respond the same. You can have the same intake on 10 cars, and 6 of them see a gain, 3 see no gain, and 1 sees a loss in power. Who's word do you trust? they all have first had experience?

10. Aug 14, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Everyone one has an opinion just like an ahole. What amazes me about this forum and other Tacoma ones, is nothing seems to be backed by dynos. My GM LS1 forums, and my motorcycle forums, all back everything by the dyno. In fairness, I don't think the truck owner is the same. And as a truck owner I really don't care exactly how much of an improvement I will get since I am not out for dyno bragging rights or the time slip at the track. I just to feel it at my SOP.

I am surprise that I have yet to see any vendor dyno shoot out. I really don't know if CAI and exhaust are going to increase dyno numbers. Since I have been doing this for quite a while on street cars, a couple of drag race cars, and several bikes, I put my money on it affecting the dyno numbers and my SOP. Will it have the same hp per dollar ratio that I get from changes to an GM LS1 or a 45 degree twin, I don't think it will. But, will I do it anyway because I know improving the breathing and exhaling work? Hell yes.

Someone really needs to have a shoot out and put the CAI and Exhaust question to rest.

11. Aug 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    i believe this guy

12. Aug 14, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    there has been alot of butt dyno tests

13. Aug 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I am actually a professional butt dyno and I didnt feel any difference switching from a AEM "CAI" to the AFE stage II on my boosted set up.

14. Aug 14, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
  15. Aug 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Hahaha, The same kind of toyota service tech that gave my friends camry back with the oil drain screw half way out, No more camry.

16. Aug 14, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    There have been dynos on these and other mods before. People have posted their results. Not all on this forum, but others too.

17. Aug 14, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    If I had free dyno time I would do it but the dyno time I have paid for in the past on other modified trucks is not cheap.
    So making two pulls and the time between waiting for me to swap intakes is going to cost more than the intake.

I know that they adjust for conditions but the error % is more than enough to cancel out a 3 or 4 H.P. gain or loss.

If the factory intake restricts the amount of air more than the CAI then there is a posibility of more power from the CAI.

Most likely only at wide open high RPM.

So I am sticking with the "sounds good" and that makes me happy.

18. Aug 14, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    Duff Man

Duff Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    AEM CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, DT headers, all speakers replaced with (2) 10's and amp behind rear seats, color matched grill, grillcraft, projector headlights, 8000k HID's, DC Torque wheels, 3" Toytec lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks.
  19. Aug 15, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Where are they Chris? The only ones that comes to mind is Flowmaster's dyno sheet for the dual exit exhaust and K&N. I have seen a couple of others but it was after they made several changes at once so that is not helpful.

20. Aug 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You'll have to search this site, and goole. They are there.

Products Discussed in

To Top