Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

CAI a total sham??? Per Toyota service tech...

Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Question CAI a total sham??? Per Toyota service tech...

I was talking to a friend of mine who I trust his word on this topic since he's been a Toyota service guy for around 10 years. I was talking to him yesterday about my new exhaust and potentially getting an intake. I've read alot of debate on here regarding the whole HP increase from a CAI, seams everyone is 6 on one side a half dozen on the other.

In his words he says- "Cold Air Intakes are pure bullshit on Tacomas." He said it already is if you consider it draws the air from the fender and not from under the hood. He states that he has seen NO difference in HP on a Dyno after the install of one and that I'm just wasting my $$$ if I buy one.

I asked him would it help if one was installed with an exhaust also... He said no way.

Is this true???
Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
thats understandable for the TRD intake. all it really does is just move the filter closer to the fender.

look into URD. it moves the intake in front of the radiator. now it's getting air from the front of the truck, not from inside the fender/engine bay
Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Even so isnt everything just being restricted by the CATs then? That was basically by buddies point was no mater what intake or exhaust you put on the CAT will always hold you back.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
m3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
m3zy6's Tacoma Gallery
Eh, think of it from a fluid dynamics point of view. Yes the cat is always going to restrict flow, but if it is the only thing in the system doing the restricting then there will still be more flow, right?
Think about blowing water through a straw. The harder you blow the more water goes through the straw.
If the only restriction in the airflow is the cat, then the high pressure built up in front of it will force more air through it.

Unless I'm totally wrong. Im not a physicist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Old 08-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I like the sound of power!!!!
It may not add any but it sounds cool
Old 08-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm sorry but modern cats aren't all the restrictive anymore. Yes you gain some power when removed but sometimes at the loss of low end power because of the reduced back pressure that promotes exhaust scavenging. The reason an intake doesn't really work is because the engine can only take in so much air at a time. Yes you make it a bit easier to breath but it is still the same amount of air going in. Add a blower or mess with the heads and then you will see more air flow being pulled in. But yes the stock intake is cold air as said 527358954738904273 times on TW. K&N, AFE non stage 2, AEM and Injen intakes are not cold air intakes.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
My K&N CAI picked me 1-2 mpg's in my 6 speed...
and that is with me driving it heavier these first two tanks.

Plus it sounds awesome, awesome is really an understatement wicked is more appropiate....
Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
goblue64 is on a distinguished road
goblue64's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3zy6 View Post
Im not a physicist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Haha classic!

I have a k&n and all it really has done is given the motor and exhaust a real nice rumble and a lil better throttle response I wouldn't say the truck is faster. Is it waist of money?? Ehhh for me no cause im happy with it. As soon as I get home from this hell hole I will be getting the urd kit though. There's so much information in this forum about the cai its crazy. So if you want some more muscle sound go with it. If you want more muscle then supercharger FTW!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
It has been proven time and time again at the 1/4 mile on the X-Runner and Tacoma that removing the cats and adding an intake will improve your trap speeds.

Trap speed = power/weight ratio

On boosted set ups, a full race exhuast (long tubes, Y pipe, 3: catback) is showing around 45rwhp gains.

Tell your mechanic friend to go back to school. And dont let him install your parts either.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
I find that the most service techs are about as smart as a box of rocks when it comes to performance. Most of them (not all) are only good at changing break pads and oil filters, and have no knowledge about the engineering behind most aftermarket parts.

People say cold air intake, and all they hear/think is "oh, cold air". That is a very tiny detail when it comes to properly engineered intakes. Air flow is much more important then 10°F. Reducing turbulence using a velocity stack, high flow filters, and MAF accuracy are all much more important then if its colder then stock or not.

And at the same time, not all vehicles are the same, nor do they respond the same. You can have the same intake on 10 cars, and 6 of them see a gain, 3 see no gain, and 1 sees a loss in power. Who's word do you trust? they all have first had experience?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
Bobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant future

Army: C Co, 2nd Bat 75th Inf
Name: Bobo
Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone one has an opinion just like an ahole. What amazes me about this forum and other Tacoma ones, is nothing seems to be backed by dynos. My GM LS1 forums, and my motorcycle forums, all back everything by the dyno. In fairness, I don't think the truck owner is the same. And as a truck owner I really don't care exactly how much of an improvement I will get since I am not out for dyno bragging rights or the time slip at the track. I just to feel it at my SOP.

I am surprise that I have yet to see any vendor dyno shoot out. I really don't know if CAI and exhaust are going to increase dyno numbers. Since I have been doing this for quite a while on street cars, a couple of drag race cars, and several bikes, I put my money on it affecting the dyno numbers and my SOP. Will it have the same hp per dollar ratio that I get from changes to an GM LS1 or a 45 degree twin, I don't think it will. But, will I do it anyway because I know improving the breathing and exhaling work? Hell yes.

Someone really needs to have a shoot out and put the CAI and Exhaust question to rest.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Werty View Post
It has been proven time and time again at the 1/4 mile on the X-Runner and Tacoma that removing the cats and adding an intake will improve your trap speeds.

Trap speed = power/weight ratio

On boosted set ups, a full race exhuast (long tubes, Y pipe, 3: catback) is showing around 45rwhp gains.

Tell your mechanic friend to go back to school. And dont let him install your parts either.
i believe this guy
Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo_1 View Post
Everyone one has an opinion just like an ahole. What amazes me about this forum and other Tacoma ones, is nothing seems to be backed by dynos. My GM LS1 forums, and my motorcycle forums, all back everything by the dyno. In fairness, I don't think the truck owner is the same. And as a truck owner I really don't care exactly how much of an improvement I will get since I am not out for dyno bragging rights or the time slip at the track. I just to feel it at my SOP.

I am surprise that I have yet to see any vendor dyno shoot out. I really don't know if CAI and exhaust are going to increase dyno numbers. Since I have been doing this for quite a while on street cars, a couple of drag race cars, and several bikes, I put my money on it affecting the dyno numbers and my SOP. Will it have the same hp per dollar ratio that I get from changes to an GM LS1 or a 45 degree twin, I don't think it will. But, will I do it anyway because I know improving the breathing and exhaling work? Hell yes.

Someone really needs to have a shoot out and put the CAI and Exhaust question to rest.
there has been alot of butt dyno tests
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I am actually a professional butt dyno and I didnt feel any difference switching from a AEM "CAI" to the AFE stage II on my boosted set up.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
Hahaha, The same kind of toyota service tech that gave my friends camry back with the oil drain screw half way out, No more camry.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo_1 View Post

There have been dynos on these and other mods before. People have posted their results. Not all on this forum, but others too.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #18
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
If I had free dyno time I would do it but the dyno time I have paid for in the past on other modified trucks is not cheap.
So making two pulls and the time between waiting for me to swap intakes is going to cost more than the intake.

I know that they adjust for conditions but the error % is more than enough to cancel out a 3 or 4 H.P. gain or loss.

If the factory intake restricts the amount of air more than the CAI then there is a posibility of more power from the CAI.

Most likely only at wide open high RPM.

So I am sticking with the "sounds good" and that makes me happy.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #20
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Someone buy a dyno for their garage already.