LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

exhaust tip?! Do they change exhaust sound?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
CHEROKEE
kajun123 is on a distinguished road
kajun123's Tacoma Gallery
Question exhaust tip?! Do they change exhaust sound?

I just recently installed the flowmaster original 40's on my truck and i wanted to know if tips actually effect the way it sounds at all?! Any input or first hand experience with this is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nope.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I have factory exhaust, but I am thinking the sound comes from with in the system, by the time it reaches the tip, the sound has already been produced.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Ah but the final cut end DOES affect the sound to a degree Gentlemen!! A straight cut will produce more of a 'rappy' tone whereas the slant cut will produce more of the mellow drone!! That's why I chose 'bologna cut' tips so as to eliminate the choppy rapptone-I just get that custom baritone effect
Old 06-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Ah but the final cut end DOES affect the sound to a degree Gentlemen!! A straight cut will produce more of a 'rappy' tone whereas the slant cut will produce more of the mellow drone!! That's why I chose 'bologna cut' tips so as to eliminate the choppy rapptone-I just get that custom baritone effect
Ok, Frank. What have you been drinking.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ok, Frank. What have you been drinking.
If you mean alcohol, I don't drink a drop. I also dont take or smoke drugs. When I got my duals he originally put straight cuts on-then showed me the difference in tone when fitting slants on it. When I asked him how that could be-he said since all the sound is coming out at that point, the shape and size of the tips can make a difference in what he referred to as 'punctuation' of the exhaust tone.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
If you mean alcohol, I don't drink a drop. I also dont take or smoke drugs. When I got my duals he originally put straight cuts on-then showed me the difference in tone when fitting slants on it. When I asked him how that could be-he said since all the sound is coming out at that point, the shape and size of the tips can make a difference in what he referred to as 'punctuation' of the exhaust tone.
WOW! I didnt know that! I thought you were being funny. Im gonna try that the next time Im playing with an exhaust system. I happen to always use the "slash" cut tips. I think a 15* angle looks good. My Tacoma came with the polished stainless "rolled" tip. One of the things I need to get is a Decible meter, so I can accuratley gauge the sound of an exhaust system I build.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
MMM ! bologna
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
MMM ! bologna
Anyone skeptical about what I said, type "do exhaust tips change tone?" into your search engine and see what comes up it aint as nutty as it sounds
Old 07-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone skeptical about what I said, type "do exhaust tips change tone?" into your search engine and see what comes up it aint as nutty as it sounds
Seem's that search came up about 50-50 on just for looks or actually did change the sound. I'm thinking the one's with a resonator in them would make it some what lower in pitch as would welded on vs. bolted on as to the sound pitch or resonance? The shape would be more as to how the final sound was directed away from the vehicle.

Probably perceived volume by shape as well. I've had turnout mufflers on some bikes that really gave your right ear a workout compared to the straight back ones with different end caps. If you were 30 foot from the bike they were the same loudness? But what a difference riding it.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
The tip will not effect the sound unless you stick a baffle in the tip. The tip is cosmetic only.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
The tip will not effect the sound unless you stick a baffle in the tip. The tip is cosmetic only.
Except on ridgerunner's truck because he's.....special
Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #14

Quote:
I should add here that this is MY experience. Both pipes exit on the passenger side. I stood by as the exhaust guy drove my truck past me to the end of the lot. Under load, there was more of a raspy 'popping' coming off the straight-cut tips than from the slashcuts. That is why I chose the slashcuts. I guess the angle of the cut 'smooths' the flow of air out that pipe edge...also the edges of the straightcuts had a rolled 'lip' that the slashes didn't. That can probably cause some reverb too.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
They also produce mad horsepower gains.
What are you implying?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #16

FWIW, I knew that the exhaust tips shape and size, as well as how long after the muffler, has an affect on the performance of the exhaust, so it just makes sence that it would affect sound. My hearing is not that good, so that could explain why I have never noticed it. FOr those that may have some doubts, check this out:
http://www.automedia.com/Exhaust_Tip...ht20050801et/1
Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
FWIW, I knew that the exhaust tips shape and size, as well as how long after the muffler, has an affect on the performance of the exhaust, so it just makes sence that it would affect sound. My hearing is not that good, so that could explain why I have never noticed it. FOr those that may have some doubts, check this out:
http://www.automedia.com/Exhaust_Tip...ht20050801et/1
I gotta say Thanks Chris for jumping in YOUR SITE even said the "punctuation" thing!! I started feeling the gangup here-but I know what I hear on my truck. But I still have to learn when to shut up!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
the tip makes it look like it sounds better
Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #19

Quote:
I gotta say Thanks Chris for jumping in YOUR SITE even said the "punctuation" thing!! I started feeling the gangup here-but I know what I hear on my truck. But I still have to learn when to shut up!
Just doing my job.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
Seem's that search came up about 50-50 on just for looks or actually did change the sound. I'm thinking the one's with a resonator in them would make it some what lower in pitch as would welded on vs. bolted on as to the sound pitch or resonance? The shape would be more as to how the final sound was directed away from the vehicle.

Probably perceived volume by shape as well. I've had turnout mufflers on some bikes that really gave your right ear a workout compared to the straight back ones with different end caps. If you were 30 foot from the bike they were the same loudness? But what a difference riding it.
+1 on all here and you have DIRECT experience with perhaps the loudest set of pipes as examples!