LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

ram air trd cai

Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
ram air trd cai

i have been wanting to do some kind of ram air for my trd cai for some time after monitoring my temps while driving in the city. my iat would normally be around 10-12 deg higher than the outside temp until i really got on it then the temp would drop slowly. so after checking out all the possibilities and after reading coupes writeup on his ram air this is what i came up with. first i purchased the volant ram air duct from auto anything. then i had to find how i was going to mount it to the existing trd box. this is what i found at home depot in the pvc isle.

the silicone couple fit around the outside perfect but as you can see it had some crap in the center i would have to get rid of. so after finding the right size hole saw 3.25 for the center of my adapter and 3.5 for the hole in the box i went to town.

the two didnt line up perfectly because of the round edges of the trd box so they are offset prob 3/8 of an inch max and i had to trim some of the top of my gray insert to fin under the top lip of the box. then i used some 5min epoxy to adhere the new insert onto the box you can only apply epoxy to the lower half because the box is two different depths where i mounted it so after the bottom was cured i applied some around the top on the outside just for peace of mind.

then put everything back together and i was pretty pleased with how it came out.

excuse the dirty engine truck has been neglected due to work schedule but over the last two days of driving around town i am very pleased with the results. the intake temps are at max 3-5 deg above outside when just cruising but drop very close to outside temp with a little throttle very quick. no real performance increase but maybe just a slight bit of response from the cooler air temps which is what i was going for. at highway speeds the intake temps is right at outside temp always.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tiried to use some washers to space the opening, so its more open?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Have you tiried to use some washers to space the opening, so its more open?
which opening do you mean chris?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
which opening do you mean chris?
The "Ram air" opening. It looks pinched closed.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #6

In this pic, the opening looks rather small:

Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #7

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
In this pic, the opening looks rather small:

the opening in on the bottom it has a lip that hangs prob 3-4 inches below and rests right on top in the radiator so the air comes in from right below the top of the grill and between the top of the radiator.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
rIDIN wHEELIEz!!
LuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckeyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cole
LuckeyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
the ram air sits behind the radiator/intercooler and inducts the air behind it... correct me if im wrong, im reinventing this in my head,
Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #10

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
ill get pics of the opening give me 5
Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw7 View Post
the opening in on the bottom it has a lip that hangs prob 3-4 inches below and rests right on top in the radiator so the air comes in from right below the top of the grill and between the top of the radiator.
Gotcha!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #13

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckeyTRD View Post
did u see an increase in power and temp?
decrease in temps which might have led to a slight increase in performance
Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #14

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckeyTRD View Post
and how well do u think this would work on the regualr cai if i dont have a s/c
i honestly cant say if it will have any performance gains or not all i have is my own data i have been monitoring with my gauge on the intake temps and so far they have been lower than before i did this and thats all i was really looking for was lowering the temp as quick as possible
Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #15

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
heres kind of a side shot chris so you can see how its designed and you can kind of see the openings right on top of the radiator from through the grill.

you can see theres about a 4 inch opening on either side of the center brace where the hood latch is and if you look just to the right above the horns you can see the glare on the outer edge of that one side.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
hmm going to try this
Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
v6prerunner is on a distinguished road
Name: Geoff
v6prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Is this it?

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A3023485.aspx

Does the the 180' turn impede air flow?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #18
bcroach78 is on a distinguished road
Army: EOD
bcroach78's Tacoma Gallery
Any mpg increase?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #19

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroach78 View Post
Any mpg increase?
Im not sure if there was any gain, my truck is not my dd so when i drive it it gets driven pretty rough so my mileage is terrible. the big gain is how much quicker the intake air temps drop and how low they stay. I have seen lower temps in the intake than the readout on my outside temp gauge in the roof at times.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
The Tinkerer
H2Otx has much to be proud ofH2Otx has much to be proud ofH2Otx has much to be proud ofH2Otx has much to be proud ofH2Otx has much to be proud ofH2Otx has much to be proud ofH2Otx has much to be proud ofH2Otx has much to be proud ofH2Otx has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
H2Otx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroach78 View Post
Any mpg increase?
Not to be an ass, but between the conversations Outlaw and I have had, you don't really do this for MPG increase...

The purpose of this is to get cooler air temps to the air box to give the motor cooler air. Outlaw has a S/C and you typically want the temps as cool as possible. Prolongs the life of components (NOT FREEZING COLD).