1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are headers worth it?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 4ari trd, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Aug 29, 2010 at 2:46 AM
    4ari trd

4ari trd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    portland, oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport double cab long bed
    cat back magnaflow exhaust- stage 2 k&n intake- URD MAF Sensor Calibrator, Westin bull bar, black housing headlights, yellow fogs, 10000k hid, fog light mod, 3in tuff country lift
    I'm thinking about buying some DTLT headers for my 08 Tacoma. I have a intake and a exhaust on it now and it's pretty darn loud. Is it worth it for me to put headers on it? Will it make a difference in sound? Will I notice a difference in power and all that? And will the y pipe bomb make a diff to or can i use it without it? What so you guys think?

2. Aug 29, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I have personally seen that headers do great work in upping the output of an engine. The DTLTs will definitely make you louder as well! Though I am personally not impressed with how the DTLTs are made, they are the best option out there for our trucks... That being said, I will probably pick some up here in the near future.

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Prerunner
    Performance: - TRD Supercharger - URD 2.85 Pulley - APR X-1 - Doug Thorley long tube headers - Magnaflow CAT back - Toytec 3" lift Audio: - Damplifier Pro, doors (x2), rear wall, floor, kick panel & firewall - JL 13TW5 - Polk Audio db6501 - Polk Audio db5251 - Alpine PDX 1.600 & 4.100 - Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
    I've been very happy with mine.

4. Sep 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    If you wana save some money you could always port match your stock headers cuz a lot of cars header don't match with exhuast ports to the head and I got a friend that did it to his ranger and notice little difference no one really does this because its to much of a pain

5. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah... Porting is some serious work if you are not mechanically inclined... If you are a Shade Tree mechanic at least, it is not too bad of a procedure. You won't get the gains you are looking for out of just porting though. 5 horse... Maybe. Barely noticeable

6. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    Crownedcustoms

Crownedcustoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 fox coilovers 20's & toyo mudders
    Fox coil-overs, Fox shocks, 20" Helo wheels, blowthough, Jl and focal system, Grillcraft grill, Toyo Mud terrains
    What about the Doug Thorley headers? good bad otherwise?:confused: What kind of horsepower gains are we talking?

7. Sep 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    DTLT stands for Doug Thorley Long Tube... For many people, they are definitely the cats meow. They provide quite a bit of noise as well as power you can feel, which is what people want. Is it blow your doors off power? No, but you will feel it. Only reason I talk bad about them occasionally is because they don't provide the full 15 or so ponies they give from 2-4k throughout the powerband, which a good pair of headers should do IMO. Thing is, most people don't drive their vehicles around with the RPM at 5k either so... If I had the money and was looking for a little bit more power are they a good option? Definitely, especially if you don't see yourself picking up a S/C anytime soon, which is an entirely seperate conversation...

8. Sep 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    Crownedcustoms

Crownedcustoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 fox coilovers 20's & toyo mudders
    Fox coil-overs, Fox shocks, 20" Helo wheels, blowthough, Jl and focal system, Grillcraft grill, Toyo Mud terrains
    are there any smog issues with these headers?

9. Sep 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Uh... That you may have an issue or 2. I am not really familiar with how smog emissions testing works as I have none where I live but these DTLTs do remove the front catalytic convertors. However, if that is a concern, there are some short tube made by these guys as well... They don't provide quite as much power and you need to weld, but they also leave the front cats in place.

Products Discussed in

To Top