Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Tonneau Covers

Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau Covers

Will these improve gas mileage, or do they not help with anything?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
tiger955 will become famous soon enough
tiger955's Tacoma Gallery
I have had soft tonneaus on 2 of my trucks, never had any noticeable increase in mileage. I had a cap on my 2nd gen, mileage went up when I took it off, mostly because of the weight I am sure, that sucker was heavy!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
nomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
You'll probably spend more on the tonneau than any savings you'll see in gas money. I have the Undercover, but that's more for being able to secure stuff than anything else. If there is a mpg improvement with a tonneau, it'll only be measured in tenths of a mpg.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't really improve mileage.

Benefits to a tonneau cover:

Putting gear in your bed and less chance of getting stolen...out of site out of mind.
Cover up the ugly scratched up composite bed
Putting luggage back there for trips and it staying dry.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
JstreetS will become famous soon enoughJstreetS will become famous soon enough

Name: Jay
JstreetS's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Trifect soft cover and absolutely love it! Easy to install, took about 5 minutes. Sure I don't get the security of a hard cover but it looks good and keeps gear dry in the FL monsoon rains that seem to come every afternoon!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've had soft tonneaus on every truck I've owned and I wouldn't buy one specifically for improving gas mileage. The best improvement I've seen is 2 mpg. I like them because you can put thing in the bed and it'll stay out of sight, secured in the bed and, for the most part, dry. I buy roll-ups because I frequently haul motorcycles and need the full bed and it's nice to be able to just roll it out of the way vs removing a hard top.