1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intake filter cleaning?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ETaco23, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Jul 6, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 [OP] Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Hey all! I've had my K&N intake for a little under a year now, and its looking a little dark and dirty, I got the Recharger cleaning kit. But I was wondering, those of you with a K&N, How often did you clean it? and I dont do any off roading, so any help or opinions please. :)

2. Jul 6, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Ooops, misread your post. IIRC you're supposed to clean it every 50K miles, but if you're anal retentive then clean it when you think it's dirty.

3. Jul 6, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Personally, IMHO, if you really want a washable filter, get an Airaid. It has multiple gauze layers, and filters better than the K&N. Or save a bit of money, and get a OME filter. :)
    I know you didnt ask, but K&N filters horibly..

4. Jul 6, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    I prefer the TrueFlow, dual stage foam filter element. Filters better than the gauze type material like the K&N. Look at your filter close-up, see all those little holes?

5. Jul 6, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    thanx for comments, and I thought about getting a different filter bc I know the K&N doesnt filter well, but it does get good performance. I'll just clean it, and maybe even the throttle body again. It's been awhile. thanx again guys!!!

6. Jul 7, 2008 at 6:29 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've had K&N drop-in filters and I've been known to clean 'em every 6 months to yearly regardless of how dirty they look.

Reason being - the oil is what filters the finer particles. Once that oil becomes saturated with dust, even in certain spots on the filter, it can allow dust to pass through it.

Lots of people complain about K&N's because it lets dust past through- and that's because they're not cleaning them often enough. They also complain about oil on the MAF - and that's because they over-oil it.

7. Jul 7, 2008 at 12:17 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    i just played it on the safe side and got a new filter at around 35,000. im one of those anal guys and dont wanna over oil it when i clean it. so i just bought another filter rather than cleaning. but yea depending on how much off roading u do, should be cleaned between 40,000-50,000

8. Jul 7, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I havn't had my K&N for more than a couple months and I've already cleaned it once. If it looks dirty, clean it! It'll still be cheaper than diposable paper filters.

9. Jul 7, 2008 at 8:45 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thanx guys, Yeah mine has looked dirty for a while but wasnt sure if I should clean it or not, but i'll be doing it this weekend for sure... Im pretty sure I got it around 93-95,000 miles and I now got 100,300. I know thats not many miles, But Hey! it looks dirty.

10. Jul 8, 2008 at 12:46 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Even though it says 100,000 miles (must mean in a dust free world). I did mine at 50,000. It was dirty & I do not do any off road driving either. It must be from the few dirt roads I have been down. It never hurts to do more often than recommended.

11. Jul 8, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Pretty much covered above.

But do follow the directions of the recharge kit. Low pressure water clean side to dirty side out, no air compressors, let dry, don't over oil, ect.

I've never had any problems with K&N and just put one in my wifes new car. I did go to AFE oil free drop on my truck, didn't have one for her car, account I'm lazy. ;)

12. Jul 8, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I will be very carefull in following the directions and especially not to over oil it... and at the same time I think I'll go ahead and clean out the throttle body, and MAF sensor, couldn't hurt..:)

Products Discussed in

To Top