Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What aftermarket gauges are more important with your TRD Supercharger?!?!

View Poll Results: Which 2 gauges would you use to monitor your engine after being boosted?
Boost/Air Fuel Ratio 16 59.26%
Boost/Fuel Pressure 3 11.11%
Boost/Oil Pressure 5 18.52%
Air Fuel Ratio/Fuel Pressure 0 0%
Fuel Pressure/Oil Pressure 0 0%
Air Fuel Ratio/Oil Pressure 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
Question What aftermarket gauges are more important with your TRD Supercharger?!?!

I recently had the trd supercharger installed on my 09 trd sport double cab. I'm looking into getting the apillar dual gauge pod so i can monitor the engine. What gauges do you all have? And which do you feel is more important to keep tabs on?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
You cant really narrow it down to two, but air/fuel, fuel pressure, and oil pressure are probably the most important. but that doesnt mean temp and boost gauges are a waste.

if I had to pic two from that list it would be AFR and boost, which is what I have.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest one of the most important is the AFR gauge..... Lets you know how your engine is running and actually can't be tuned without it. It is critical to have this gauge..... the other two that super werty mentioned are critical as well but the main one is an AFR gauge..... I have afr and boost. I really would feel more comfortable if I had the 3 that werty mentioned.... that way I can literally know how my truck is doing and if i'm risking any damage. Boost isn't very critical since all it does read is vacuum.... Not really all that critical but nice to have so you know if you are getting the maximum power output. I have a brand new boost gauge for sale if you are interested though.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If I had forced induction I'd run at least boost and AFR but personally I'd run them all. Remember that you have curtain air bags.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
definitely AFR and boost. Then oil pressure after those. I hate how my truck doesn't have an oil pressure gauge.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I want to get boost and AFR, but idk any shop that will weld a bung on my headers.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Don't buy an AFR guage unless its a true wideband guage. The narrowband AFR guages are basically a light show and not worth the money.

http://www.plxdevices.com/wideband.html

I had a turbo accord before my tacoma. I ran an EGT (exhaust gas temp), oil pressure, and boost guage on my a-pillar. I had a seperate PLX wideband readout mounted by my radio which gave me a digital reading of my actual air/fuel ratio.

Also get a digital oil pressure guage (one with a sending unit) With the mechanical guages you run the risk of the guage failing and leaving a hot oily mess inside the cab of the truck.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroller View Post
To be honest one of the most important is the AFR gauge..... Lets you know how your engine is running and actually can't be tuned without it. It is critical to have this gauge..... the other two that super werty mentioned are critical as well but the main one is an AFR gauge..... I have afr and boost. I really would feel more comfortable if I had the 3 that werty mentioned.... that way I can literally know how my truck is doing and if i'm risking any damage. Boost isn't very critical since all it does read is vacuum.... Not really all that critical but nice to have so you know if you are getting the maximum power output. I have a brand new boost gauge for sale if you are interested though.
What brand is it? Does it have the map sensor or just the tubing
Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #9

This is what im looking at getting for a boost gauge. I'm going to opt for the wiring harness and map sensor I feel it will be more accurate. Also they have a wideband air/fuel also in the phantom II but they havent released it yet to the public. (plus I think they look sick at night!)
Old 08-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
definitely AFR and boost. Then oil pressure after those. I hate how my truck doesn't have an oil pressure gauge.
Me too
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmarquis View Post
AFR and Pyro gauges are most important. You really need boost, AFR, Pyro.
Why would you need pyro? I thought that was only used on turbo setups? What benifits would come from using it with a supercharger?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Hmm...

Sorry to thread jack, but is there a way to run a guage utilizing the AFR numbers being logged by the APR X-1? I know I can get AFR readings off a live DATA Log run. Wondering if there is a way for constant display, rather than pulling headers off and welding in a wide band sensor and all that mess...

let me know, Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Sorry to thread jack, but is there a way to run a guage utilizing the AFR numbers being logged by the APR X-1? I know I can get AFR readings off a live DATA Log run. Wondering if there is a way for constant display, rather than pulling headers off and welding in a wide band sensor and all that mess...

let me know, Thanks.
I was just browsing APRs website and on there FAQs it said this

Quote:
Q. Does the X-One support wide band Air Fuel Ratio meters?

A. Yes.
I have no Idea but it says so. Also I sent you a PM
Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
When i had my TRD S/C the two most important gauges i had were AFR and EGT. They will tell you immediately if there are any issues.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
I was just browsing APRs website and on there FAQs it said this

I have no Idea but it says so. Also I sent you a PM

Yes I seen that.. But need to know how this compares to wideband. I sold mine that I had on the old old headers...

Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
I'm running a boost/vac and fuel pressure in my truck at the moment.

You can use a wideband gauge with the X-1. I forget which pins to connect into, but you can do that without welding in a dedicated sensor. It will pull the data being seen by the OEM WRAF sensors.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmarquis View Post
You need combustion temp readouts when ever you are running aftermarket boost. The temps are what kill engines. Mostly piston crowns, ring lands, etc. If you do a basis readout of combustion temp with a pyro/egt gauge before you add boost then you know what target temp to try to stay within.

When I boosted my Hemi Ram, I did a egt and took basis temps before adding the boost. When tuning my boost of 7lbs I used fuel/timing to keep the temps down. If I remember I never exceeded 100 degrees of my stock combustion temp. Hemi's are very capable motors but suffer greatly from cheap piston crowns and ring lands.

With a N/A production motor you are most likely not getting forged piston/rods. They are expensive. IMO I would gladly pay another 500-1200 for a car/truck with a forged motor.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. And I to would gladly pay the extra $$$ for forged internals.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
Enjoying my addiction

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
I'm running a boost/vac and fuel pressure in my truck at the moment.

You can use a wideband gauge with the X-1. I forget which pins to connect into, but you can do that without welding in a dedicated sensor. It will pull the data being seen by the OEM WRAF sensors.
Cool, good to know. Im definately going to be doing the URD Flex POD with Boost, and AFR Gauge..
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sorted by importance with supercharger;

1, Air to Fuel Ratio

2, Oil pressure

3, Boost

Honestly the ONLY gauge you really need with supercharger is AFR gauge. Boost gauge is useless, because with supercharger you cannot over boost, since boost is determined by the diameter of the supercharger pulley. Turbo is a completely different story...