Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Upgrading the fuel pump w/URD kit question?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
Upgrading the fuel pump w/URD kit question?

I have been reading alot about the URD fuel pump/filter upgrade kit for the boosted 05 and up models. I have a 09 TRD Sport w/TRD Supercharger,K&N CAI,Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust. It seems to be really cheap insurance to keep your boosted motor from fuel starvation plus you get the benifit of an inline fuel filter that the stock tacomas dont have. Has anyone done this? If so how hard was the install? Did you remove the bed or just drop out the tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
I dropped the tank....actually, Gadget did and I handed him the tools Great customer tech support
Old 09-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Drop the tank, its not that bad

I have done 4 of these now ( two of my own) and the last one took be about 2 hours.

I can tell you from experience that the stock filter plugs super easy.

I bought my 07 Dcab w 36K on it after I sold the X. I put the X1 in and the TRD S/C with the stock pulley and trd injectors. at WOT I was at 98% duty cycle. So I put my fuel pressure gauge in.

my FP would drop from 39 psi to about 30 WOT.

also, ever since I bought the truck I noticed that is had a long crank time to start ( not the typical APR X1 start delay). Well when I had the gauge hooked up, I could see the FP drop to 0 psi in a matter of second on key off. The system is supposed to hold 50% pressure for 5 hours after key off.

The check valve in the pump had failed and it could not hold pressure.

Put in the URD kit, FP holds at 39 psi all the way to redline and holds at keyoff

its a great kit

Justin
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just ordered the URD kit. Hopefully get to install it next week. But I was wondering does the kit do away with the in tank stock filter? Most new vehicles have the filter on the end of fuel pump and an inline one. Thanks Super Werty & My68ur8trd for your input.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Thumbs up Great Info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
Drop the tank, its not that bad

I have done 4 of these now ( two of my own) and the last one took be about 2 hours.

I can tell you from experience that the stock filter plugs super easy.

I bought my 07 Dcab w 36K on it after I sold the X. I put the X1 in and the TRD S/C with the stock pulley and trd injectors. at WOT I was at 98% duty cycle. So I put my fuel pressure gauge in.

my FP would drop from 39 psi to about 30 WOT.

also, ever since I bought the truck I noticed that is had a long crank time to start ( not the typical APR X1 start delay). Well when I had the gauge hooked up, I could see the FP drop to 0 psi in a matter of second on key off. The system is supposed to hold 50% pressure for 5 hours after key off.

The check valve in the pump had failed and it could not hold pressure.

Put in the URD kit, FP holds at 39 psi all the way to redline and holds at keyoff

its a great kit

Justin
Im about to install this. I will be running the High Boost 2.7" pulley and decided to be over cautious with the 7th injector/688cc inj's/and fuel pump upgrade...

no starvation happening here
Old 09-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Im about to install this. I will be running the High Boost 2.7" pulley and decided to be over cautious with the 7th injector/688cc inj's/and fuel pump upgrade...

no starvation happening here

I have 668s in the glove box, just in case for the future

but I was amazed that it was starving on the stock pulley and injectors

Justin
Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanut21 View Post
I just ordered the URD kit. Hopefully get to install it next week. But I was wondering does the kit do away with the in tank stock filter? Most new vehicles have the filter on the end of fuel pump and an inline one. Thanks Super Werty & My68ur8trd for your input.

there is a sock filter on the pump inlet and a much larger system filter on the exit side.

Toyota makes is all into one pump module that cannot be serviced. You essentially gut the module and take out the factory pump/filter and install a walbro 255 lph pump with sock filter in the tank and put your servicable system filter outside of the tank

Justin
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
there is a sock filter on the pump inlet and a much larger system filter on the exit side.

Toyota makes is all into one pump module that cannot be serviced. You essentially gut the module and take out the factory pump/filter and install a walbro 255 lph pump with soft filter in the tank and put your servicable system filter outside of the tank

Justin
Thanks Justin!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
09TRDsport is on a distinguished road
09TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys! How's it going? Quick question about this upgrade. I don't have any "power adders" persay but I do have a CAI and full catback setup. I am interested in this fuel pump upgrade still. Does anyone know of someone who has installed it without a supercharger and if it's still worth it?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
colby8100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colby
colby8100's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRDsport View Post
Hey guys! How's it going? Quick question about this upgrade. I don't have any "power adders" persay but I do have a CAI and full catback setup. I am interested in this fuel pump upgrade still. Does anyone know of someone who has installed it without a supercharger and if it's still worth it?
I wouldn't do it unless your stock pump was going bad or you have boost or nitrous in your near future.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colby8100 View Post
I wouldn't do it unless your stock pump was going bad or you have boost or nitrous in your near future.
Its a good thing to have a servicable filter tho isn't it?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
colby8100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Colby
colby8100's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Its a good thing to have a servicable filter tho isn't it?
Yea but you could do that without the kit? Just add a filter inline? I don't know where the 2nd gen filters are located. I'm just suggesting to save the money on the fuel pump since he has no need for the extra volume. And add a filter if you want one.