1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upconvert to V8?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Batman2199, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    Batman2199

Batman2199 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Fort Worth Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRDSport SR5
    K&N Filter and CAI
    This is only my second post on the forums so, mods if this is not the correct location please move.

I am wondering about getting a V8 4Runner that has had an unfortunate life (from a junk yard) and installing the V8 and transmission in my 4x4 Taco. I know there would be some transfer case issues to work past, but i want to keep the 4x4. I know the Taco and 4Runner share frames, but would the V8 have a different forward sub-frame than the V6? And if so would these be swappable? I love the V6 for all the fun it has been but I still want a V8. My 4x4 DC LB Taco is as big (generally) as my cousin's Xcab SB Dodge. Also I am considering installing a turbo on the V8. My main reason for wanting a V8 is mainly shock factor. I like the idea of romping down on the gas, and watching that Silverado SS fade away in my rear-view mirror. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.:devil:

2. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    with enough patience... and money, you can make anything fit anything. the electronics are generally what will give you the most headaches... sorry i dont have any experience with a v8 swap. but id love to see one!

3. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    Im attempting (and will most likely fail) to swap for a e39 M5 engine. I will also have to swap drivetrains and find a way for the vehicle to communicate with the new setup. This is going to be a bear.

If I can make this happen... I will then drive myself and my truck off a cliff and onto the after-live as I will be able to accomplish no more

4. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    well for one racing is highly frowned upon here and im sure it will be more of a pain in the ass than your thinking. you will have to swap the entire harness and ecu, tcu. possibly motor mounts there are alot of threads on here about engine swaps. search around a little bit.

5. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Buy a Tundra.

6. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Are you serious? that would be sick

7. Sep 5, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    :facepalm:

that is all

8. Sep 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I dunno, there are a ton of varying opinions on this thread, but I would love to have a V8. Even the 4.7 would be plenty for me. My main points would be for that little bit of extra power up here in the mountains, as well as not working the truck so hard day to day. If you have the time, money, and resources to do it... Do it! If you are doing it just for racing (which you shouldn't do, less a track), supercharge the damn thing and you'll be surprised at what you can beat.

9. Sep 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    Thank for your answer. Looks like the OP is going to agree with this too so lets close the thread and move on. JK JK I would like to see the completed V8 Tacoma as well!

Products Discussed in

To Top