Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Upconvert to V8?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Batman2199 is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
Batman2199's Tacoma Gallery
Upconvert to V8?

This is only my second post on the forums so, mods if this is not the correct location please move.

I am wondering about getting a V8 4Runner that has had an unfortunate life (from a junk yard) and installing the V8 and transmission in my 4x4 Taco. I know there would be some transfer case issues to work past, but i want to keep the 4x4. I know the Taco and 4Runner share frames, but would the V8 have a different forward sub-frame than the V6? And if so would these be swappable? I love the V6 for all the fun it has been but I still want a V8. My 4x4 DC LB Taco is as big (generally) as my cousin's Xcab SB Dodge. Also I am considering installing a turbo on the V8. My main reason for wanting a V8 is mainly shock factor. I like the idea of romping down on the gas, and watching that Silverado SS fade away in my rear-view mirror. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
with enough patience... and money, you can make anything fit anything. the electronics are generally what will give you the most headaches... sorry i dont have any experience with a v8 swap. but id love to see one!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
Im attempting (and will most likely fail) to swap for a e39 M5 engine. I will also have to swap drivetrains and find a way for the vehicle to communicate with the new setup. This is going to be a bear.

If I can make this happen... I will then drive myself and my truck off a cliff and onto the after-live as I will be able to accomplish no more
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
well for one racing is highly frowned upon here and im sure it will be more of a pain in the ass than your thinking. you will have to swap the entire harness and ecu, tcu. possibly motor mounts there are alot of threads on here about engine swaps. search around a little bit.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a Tundra.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriZonaD54 View Post
Im attempting (and will most likely fail) to swap for a e39 M5 engine. I will also have to swap drivetrains and find a way for the vehicle to communicate with the new setup. This is going to be a bear.

If I can make this happen... I will then drive myself and my truck off a cliff and onto the after-live as I will be able to accomplish no more
Are you serious? that would be sick
Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery

that is all
Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno, there are a ton of varying opinions on this thread, but I would love to have a V8. Even the 4.7 would be plenty for me. My main points would be for that little bit of extra power up here in the mountains, as well as not working the truck so hard day to day. If you have the time, money, and resources to do it... Do it! If you are doing it just for racing (which you shouldn't do, less a track), supercharge the damn thing and you'll be surprised at what you can beat.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Buy a Tundra.
Thank for your answer. Looks like the OP is going to agree with this too so lets close the thread and move on. JK JK I would like to see the completed V8 Tacoma as well!