Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

APR X-One Engine Controller

Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Chopperness is on a distinguished road
Chopperness's Tacoma Gallery
APR X-One Engine Controller

I am considering purchasing some sort of controller or calibrator but not sure what to get. I have intake and exhaust with plans to get headers. I know there are other cheaper products out there but I like to have the best. Would this product be worth it? How easy/hard is it to tune? I don't know anything about tuning but I think I could figure it all out with a little direction.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperness View Post
I am considering purchasing some sort of controller or calibrator but not sure what to get. I have intake and exhaust with plans to get headers. I know there are other cheaper products out there but I like to have the best. Would this product be worth it? How easy/hard is it to tune? I don't know anything about tuning but I think I could figure it all out with a little direction.

The X1 is the best option for aftermarket engine management for the 1GR.

It is a fully adaptive controller that will "learn" much like the factory ECU will. You don't have to "tune" it like other controllers. You get up with APR or URD and they will setup a map for you, and the ecu will make fine adjustments as conditions change.

It is a nice add on for a modded N/A setup but really flexes its muscles on FI setups

If you ever plan to add a S/C you wont have to reflash because the X1 can handle it and the blower can come back off if you sell or trade

Contact Gadget at URD and he can give you the full scoop

Justin
Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Thanks for the great info. As of now I don't plan on a s/c, bit I'm not counting that out.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what you have, but the X-1 still does not support 09+.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Thumbs up You will not regret the X-1

It makes driving your tacoma feel like it should have been out the factory..

If you got the cash, it is a must buy.

Also, Tech support from APR and URD is outstanding.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Sounds great, what is the installation like?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Time Consuming

Quote:
Sounds great, what is the installation like?
But not bad at all... Hardest part is the cam gears. But, the instructions on APR's website are awesome. Take your time and it's totally doable
Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
if i had the 1grfe id stop saving for a lift tires and bumper and buy an apr
Old 09-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
What are the cam gears for? Do you really need to install them?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Enjoying my addiction

Exclamation Yes...

Quote:
What are the cam gears for? Do you really need to install them?
They retard the cam timing, and most importantly the XTune Calibration file is dependant upon the cam gears.

Read this link, it tells it all:

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38009
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
after looking at that site, I am sure glad I looked into things first, but I always do. Looks like I will be tearing into the manifold soon enough.

One more Q? What's with the new thermostat?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
after looking at that site, I am sure glad I looked into things first, but I always do. Looks like I will be tearing into the manifold soon enough.

One more Q? What's with the new thermostat?
Its a 170 or 180 deg thermostat. Cooler temps allow for better performance. The APR site has this information broken down by parts:

http://www.aprpower.com/ECU_mainpage.html

Enjoy...