Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Anyone running DTLT and otherwise stock exhaust?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
zebra1550 will become famous soon enoughzebra1550 will become famous soon enough

Army: Staff Sergeant, 95B, 530th MP BN
zebra1550's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone running DTLT and otherwise stock exhaust?

I've been thinking about some performance mods lately, and have settled on a set of long tubes as my first mod. However, I really don't have any intentions of replacing the stock exhaust. Maybe I'm just getting older, or maybe it's 12 years of LE work, but I sort of like to be as stealthy as possible. I don't mind if the headers give the stock muffler a little more growl, but that's about all I want.

I'd really like to hear a clip of anyone running just the DTLT's on an otherwise stock truck. I searched through the exhaust clip thread, and a bunch of other long tube threads. Seems like everyone who has added headers, had already installed an intake and cat-back setup.

Any feedback is appreciated. If the consensus is that the headers won't do any good without other mods, I might just save my money for something else.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
TRON is on a distinguished road

TRON's Tacoma Gallery
Yes... the only performance upgrade for my exhaust system is the DTLTs... This setup sounds great.... at idle and under load...

I do have the trd blower and intake.... however, i don't think the exhaust note would be that much different between F/I and N/A... Iam sure this could be up to debate...

Once you have the DTLTs, its hard to include a performance muffler that will not bring drone in addition to the exhaust note.... from my experience... so between the two you will get more hp installing headers than swapping your muffler... and nice exhaust note too...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
zebra1550 will become famous soon enoughzebra1550 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply Tron, this was exactly what I was hoping. I'd bet the only difference between the S/C and N/A setup would be a slightly quieter exhaust note, with less air being forced out. Not looking to go real loud, just better performance and a little more growl will do.

I'm sure you're really enjoying the supercharger at elevation. My family and I spent some time up in Broomfield this summer, and I was day dreaming about a S/C the entire time. Hopefully you haven't been affected by the fires. It really is God's country up there, which I wouldn't mind becoming a permanent resident someday. Take care and thanks for the reply.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRON View Post
Yes... the only performance upgrade for my exhaust system is the DTLTs... This setup sounds great.... at idle and under load...

I do have the trd blower and intake.... however, i don't think the exhaust note would be that much different between F/I and N/A... Iam sure this could be up to debate...

Once you have the DTLTs, its hard to include a performance muffler that will not bring drone in addition to the exhaust note.... from my experience... so between the two you will get more hp installing headers than swapping your muffler... and nice exhaust note too...
I would agree.

My Banks exhaust sounds more aggressive now with my TRD SC, but that could be due to the tune Im running with the X-1

To the OP do it. The DTLT's are awesome, and you will not regret it.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #5

Phase 1 for me is going to be the DTLT's.

Phase 2 will be a S/C.

Don't have any other plans as far as performance mods. I've been through 2 other TRD S/C's on my old 2001 Tacoma and 2002 4Runner. I learned alot from running both of those setups, and want to keep this truck simpler, ie not wasting money on cat-backs, or intakes. Although I know an intake would benefit a S/C'd engine more than N/A, the stock does just fine.

I just need to get my 2nd son out of daycare. The 1st dropped out last month, but we're still paying over $1K in childcare. I love my kids, and would gladly pay anything for good care. But damn, it's hard sometimes thinking that I could pay for a S/C with cash in a matter of 5 months. For all of you out there with no kids, buy your toys now!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
06lttaco has a spectacular aura about06lttaco has a spectacular aura about

06lttaco's Tacoma Gallery
i just put some on this last weekend. I already had a flowmaster exhaust, and the truck now has a real high pitch raspy noise when it gets to higher rpms. So i'm gonna have to change the exhaust setup. If you leave the exhaust relatively stock, you shouldn't have an issue
Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
what are DTLT's? feeling a little lost on this thread..
Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Doug Thorley Long Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
what are DTLT's? feeling a little lost on this thread..
Headers:

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...fan7sbvtt5f140

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260519005

The Best!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
got_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nicegot_titan is just really nice
got_titan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRON View Post

Hey tron, are you running the trd ecu flash or the x-1? If the trd flash are you having any problems running the dtlt with the supercharger?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
supratrippy is a glorious beacon of lightsupratrippy is a glorious beacon of lightsupratrippy is a glorious beacon of lightsupratrippy is a glorious beacon of lightsupratrippy is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rex
supratrippy's Tacoma Gallery
i had the dtlt with a stock exhaust you will get a little rasp they are a nice upgrade though
Old 09-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZi1TfgFnc
Old 09-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #12

I think that x-runner had some type of aftermarket exhaust, but sounded pretty good none the less. Looked like a borla or trd, but not 100% sure.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
fatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to beholdfatsac is a splendid one to behold
Name: Mike
fatsac's Tacoma Gallery
Resurrected with a quick question: Will this pass CA emissions?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsac View Post
Resurrected with a quick question: Will this pass CA emissions?
No. They will notice the missing cats during the visual inspection. You can always swap the stock stuff in before you go for the test.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I'm goin with LCEST instead of DTLT.............