LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

gutting rear cats?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
Name: justin
justin14200's Tacoma Gallery
gutting rear cats?

anyone have a how to? i wanna keep the look of having cats on the truck...

anyone have any ideas of an easy way to gut the rear cats without firing up the torch and cutting up my new truck?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
frequent reader
justin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura aboutjustin14200 has a spectacular aura about
do they bolt on?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Better yet, get a set of DT short tubes and stay legal and have more power.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I am using a set of URD pipebomb pipes.
They have a big round thing on each side that looks like a cat.
The o2 sensors are in front of them so no codes have shown.
So I have a better flowing exhaust and still save the planet while getting 18 mpg!!!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
High flow cats are a joke. The only reason people think they are super high flow is because they replace a severely clogged cat with a high flow and think OMG they really worked. The truth is modern cats aren't all that restrictive. Yeah you gain power by removing them but all you gain is top end power and you lose low end power.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
The high flow cats designed for my 3" Asphalt Jungle H pipe on my Mustang would beg to differ on that one.

Maybe for a Taco its pointless - I have no idea. I'm not trying to make my Taco run 12's like my Mustang.
What year stang? I'm thinking most gains were from the non stock H pipe.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
89 25th anniversary hatchbroke, but the GT40 crate 5.0 engine was a 98.

I had 20-30k invested (with car included) then sold it to some dipshit who showed up at my door with cash & it wasn't even for sale.

He totaled it a week later and sold it for $1k scrap.

gt40 intake was worth more then 1k - dipshit.

hell the transmission & lockers cost me more then 3k for that matter
Wow. Poor Stang. I think I would have sold that car within the Mustang community but you never know what anyone will do with it. Sounds like the kid's parents paid for it.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
frequent reader
Well, inspection isn't a big deal. I've seen people cut them off before... I've also Sean people cut them open... And take a hammer and prybar to them...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Pointless on a tacoma.

Now on a high performance vehicle...Yes.

I used to have a turbocharged honda accord before my tacoma and I actually didn't run a cat on it. 2.5" exhaust from the turbo back to the muffler. Surprisingly I was able to pass legitimately without one, gotta love OBD2 and the guy not doing a visual inspection because the car was too low to look under.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin14200 View Post
anyone have a how to? i wanna keep the look of having cats on the truck...

anyone have any ideas of an easy way to gut the rear cats without firing up the torch and cutting up my new truck?
I use to own a 01 Tacoma. I live in alabama where there are little if any laws on emissions. So after I installed the header from downey I cut the first one off. No real issues other than the check engine light was always on. The code read backflow pressure below threshold in bank one. Well, I got use to that and could deal with it. A few years later I had issues with the second cat and ended up cutting it completely off. I noticed NO power gain whatsoever. All I noticed was that the truck was ridiculously loud!! If I had to do it all over again I would have never cut the first one off in the first place. Leave it on, it's there for a reason, not mention it helps protect the environment. Spend the money and get a high flow cat. Thats just my $0.02 anyway.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
frequent reader
im also planning on doing a volant intake. if i did cut them off, would the intake make more backpressure on the exhaust to make it like the same pressure if they were there?

i know another guy on here cut his off and did an aeroturbine 2525xl and it sounded great, idk if he had problems with backpressure or not... what problems would u have if backpressure was incorrect?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Banned
That article left out that low RPM backpressure promotes exhaust scavenging. At high RPM the exhaust pulses are so strong and happen so fast that scavenging is not needed.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Justin, you may be talking about me. I did in fact remove my rear cats and put in an AT as well as a resonator. I did lose some low end torque, but the truck runs quite a bit better now though.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin14200 View Post
im also planning on doing a volant intake. if i did cut them off, would the intake make more backpressure on the exhaust to make it like the same pressure if they were there?

i know another guy on here cut his off and did an aeroturbine 2525xl and it sounded great, idk if he had problems with backpressure or not... what problems would u have if backpressure was incorrect?
I had an injen intake (see pics in my gallery if you like ) and my check engine light still stayed on. I never had any mechanical issues with the backpressure below threshold, nor do I know if I was creating any problems for the future. I was told by a shop that I could have the computer reprogrammed but I never did any of that mess. I shoulda left it the way it was or bought a high flow.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
frequent reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Justin, you may be talking about me. I did in fact remove my rear cats and put in an AT as well as a resonator. I did lose some low end torque, but the truck runs quite a bit better now though.
Yea, I think it probobly was you. How did you gut your cats? You lost power when you did it? If I just put on the muffler, will I get the same deep sound as if I cut the cats out?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I didn't gut the cats though... I cut them clean out! Haha and you should get about the same sound if you were to add in like a 10 or 12 inch resonator. Don't go for the xl, you will find yourself paying $100 for a $30 part.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
frequent reader
Quote:
I didn't gut the cats though... I cut them clean out! Haha and you should get about the same sound if you were to add in like a 10 or 12 inch resonator. Don't go for the xl, you will find yourself paying $100 for a $30 part.

what is your exact setup? your truck sounds amazing.

do you have pictures of the underside of your truck that you would share?

the 2525xl is only $120 on ebay. whats the purpose of the resonator, whats it do?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #18
Yes, I got boost

Here is my thread that tells everything about my build up to this point. Except I don't think that I have my resonated videos in there, they are in my sig. Pictures and everything should be in there though. If not, they lie in my gallery. Aero Turbine Thread

What a resonator does is eliminate some of the "wild" sounds that come from the engine. It muffles the sound waves that are coming at it. In my case, I used that resonator to take out the little bit of rasp that I was experiencing at about 2300RPM
Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #19
frequent reader
Quote:
Here is my thread that tells everything about my build up to this point. Except I don't think that I have my resonated videos in there, they are in my sig. Pictures and everything should be in there though. If not, they lie in my gallery. Aero Turbine Thread

What a resonator does is eliminate some of the "wild" sounds that come from the engine. It muffles the sound waves that are coming at it. In my case, I used that resonator to take out the little bit of rasp that I was experiencing at about 2300RPM

soo u have a 2525 and a resnator? not a 2525xl?

wouldnt a 2525xl be the same as a 2525 and a resonator?

Products Discussed in this Thread