Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

it shoulda had a V8

Old 09-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
it shoulda had a V8

I was wondering how many of you guys are really satisfied with the sound of our engines. I love the performance of our V6s-even my 3.4 pulls like a small V8 would in the day, and you 2nd-gen guys' 4.0 outperforms some V8s. The problem is that IMO it sounds wimpy no matter what exhaust you put it behind-that monotone baritone girlymoan only gets louder behind performance exhaust-it is what it is. I was told by a very astute guy here in this forum that it is the very efficiency of these engines-so well balanced- that gives them that sound. I can appreciate that-but to me engine sound can be music to my ears. Even GM's tiny little 2.8 V6 back in the 80s had a beefier sound-under light accelleration it sounded like a V8. Speaking of which, to my ears there is NO finer sound than the dual-harmonic growl of a V8 and I wish the hell Toyota offered a small V8 in these Tacomas. Look at your trucks-the strong proud stance of them screams V8! If my engine ever dies and I know it will most likely outlive me, I will find me a way to get a v8 into this truck. Toyota if you read stuff in here-make a V8 Tacoma and I will RUN to buy it.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ah yes.....Nothing trumps the sound of an 'ol V8 engine. Some of my faves are:
The Chrysler 273. High reving V8, and sounded like an Italian motor.
Fords 5.0 in the Mustang. Im not a Ford guy, but theres no doubting that sound.
Chevy 327. Push rod giggity.

I agree Frank. I would like to see the 4.6 V8 made availible for the Tacoma. Not sure I would buy one myself, but it would be nice to see it out there.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I had a small 2.8 V6 with a flowmaster in a firebird that actually made a really good growl up to about 2500 RPM then there was no denying it was a V6. So far I have not heard a Taco that has made me wanna change the exhaust. I agree I kinda wish it has a little noise, and I'm not talking about the ticking.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah.....gotta love a sound of a V8!

I'm sure they won't ever put a V8 into a Tacoma because of the Tundra having a V8. If they put it in, you may have less people buying a Tundra and going for a Tacoma.

The only thing I would like to see is a Diesel in these trucks.....
Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah Chris I remember the 273-my Uncle had one in a Barracuda-that was a gorgeous coupe-I think it was a '67 with that Marlin type rear window Jester I had that 2.8 in a 1986 Camaro coupe. Only 135hp but behind that 5-speed manual it did ok and that car was as problem free as my Tacoma my entire 9 years of owning it. Bako I think a diesel is cool too as long as it isn't a weak one which Toyota would probably put in there-it would have to be a stump puller. I just think a V8 matched to the Tacoma's lighter weight would be the bomb and the sound would finally match its looks.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
All of us can dream about a V8 powered Tacoma but I highly doubt Toyota will do it. If they do I think I will be first in line!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Haahaa. 8000 ponies out of a nitro burnning dragester
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I couldn't agree with you more! I had a '04 Silverado with the Gibson super truck exhaust and it sounded mean. I can't bring myself to put an exhaust on my Tacoma because I don't really like the end results. There was a poll on here about which motor people would like to see in the Tacoma and the smaller V8 and the hilux diesel were popular but people seemed to think the 5.7 would be too much. I think it would make a pretty mean X-Runner but that's just my opinion!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
4.7 liter in my wifes sequoia sounds pretty mean too.
That motor would be sweet in our tacos
Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Dixiepek is on a distinguished road
Dixiepek's Tacoma Gallery
This would be a dream come true.