Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Which CAI to purchase

Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Which CAI to purchase

So, as Ive installed on all my previous vehicles, its time for me to install a CAI on my Taco 4.0L double cab. Can you guys throw in some input for me... I dont want to have to recalibrate the ECU, etc... Just bolt-on, ya know... Im just using the truck as a DD, so the added fuel economy of a CAI is really what I am after.

Which brand do you guys recommend... I am leaning towards the Air-ram kit right now. It has a great price, and seems to do the trick. Whaddya think.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
tommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud oftommyxv has much to be proud of
tommyxv's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in hearing suggestions too. Is the TRD CIA worth considering?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You won't see much gain from just an intake. Stock is cold air. But if you really have to get one look at the old style TRD or AFE Stage 2.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
none
Old 09-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
minimal gain. almost not worth the money imo. i would just buy an aftermarket filter that fits right into the stock airbox
Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed on the fact that your Tacoma draws air from the wheel well already, unlike many others that draw from the hot engine bay, so you do have a cold air intake already. Purchasing an aftermarket one will allow more in at a faster rate but your engine wont know what to do with it unless you get an MAF Calibrator and have it tuned. Your tune will be limited, however, by stock headers and stock pipes.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, I am surprised to hear that there is so little performance and or fuel mileage gain from a CAI in these trucks. I guess it makes sense though... The stock setup is pretty decent for getting cold air into the engine.

Can anyone confirm or deny fuel economy gains from a CAI
Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Like these guys said its already CAI... Look at the URD CAI for something a little different though. It locates the intake infront of your radiator. If I spring for one it will be that. Just beware of water if you take it OR.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have a TRD intake and saw no difference in MPG. The best mod for better MPG is a weight reduction on your foot.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #10

Weight reduction in my foot... But I wear steel-toed boots every day!

Thanks for the info. guys. I will spend the CAI money on something else. Possibly start saving for exhaust...