Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Dryflow vs. Oiled filter

Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Dryflow vs. Oiled filter

Give me your opinions... Which is better, safer for the engine? I am mostly concerned about longevity of the engine & easiness of washing the filter.

I am leaning towards the aFe, because, I am not fan of oiling the filter.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Oiled will catch more dirt if you oil it right.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
i've had a K&N for 5 years and no probs. you have to be a moron if you cant oil a filter correctly.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i have dry and just shake it out once a week and wash once a month
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've had K&N's for atleast 10 years in various vehicles. Never had a problem with them and I cleaned/oiled them twice a year. With this truck, I decided to try the AFE.

With both K&N and the AFE - I used the AFE/K&N cleaning agents (and oil for K&N).

The K&N has much better/more air flow than the AFE.
The AFE is easier to clean simply because you don't have to apply oil to it.

It all depends on what you want out of it. If you over-oil the K&N, it can give you problems. If you don't clean ithe K&N enough, can cause dust to pass through it.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
ScootsOFP is on a distinguished road

Marines: E4/0311/usmcr/OIF 8-1
Name: Scoot
ScootsOFP's Tacoma Gallery
I go with AFE prodry just because it seems like it'd be way to easy to accidentally over oil and mess up my MAF.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
... i even have a K&N in my quad and dirtbike. never had any probs. i guess it all personak preference.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Give me your opinions... Which is better, safer for the engine? I am mostly concerned about longevity of the engine & easiness of washing the filter.

I am leaning towards the aFe, because, I am not fan of oiling the filter.
Check out bobistheoilguy web site. They review oil analysis results showing differences between air filters. From what I've researched, the K&N gives worse oil analysis results than the AFE dry. In other words, more dirt passes the K&N vs. the AFE, but note that the clean AFE also passes more dirt then a stock filter.

It's all airflow vs. filtering ability. Do some more research if you want more details. If you are getting/wanting more airflow, then filtering ability has to decrease. A clean K&N or AFE does not filter as well as a dirty K&N/AFE, but they do flow more air.

And as for cleaning and oiling, I've had a couple in the past and have decided I'm done with oiled filters. Stock or AFE for me. Biggest pain for oiled filters is that they need to be completely dry before oiling. As such, you need to have the truck down for half/full day, or keep a stock filter around for when the oiled filter is drying.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Check out bobistheoilguy web site. They review oil analysis results showing differences between air filters. From what I've researched, the K&N gives worse oil analysis results than the AFE dry. In other words, more dirt passes the K&N vs. the AFE, but note that the clean AFE also passes more dirt then a stock filter.

It's all airflow vs. filtering ability. Do some more research if you want more details. If you are getting/wanting more airflow, then filtering ability has to decrease. A clean K&N or AFE does not filter as well as a dirty K&N/AFE, but they do flow more air.

And as for cleaning and oiling, I've had a couple in the past and have decided I'm done with oiled filters. Stock or AFE for me. Biggest pain for oiled filters is that they need to be completely dry before oiling. As such, you need to have the truck down for half/full day, or keep a stock filter around for when the oiled filter is drying.
Thanks for the input! Your posy actually makes sense and is not biased towards one brand.

This post convinced me to go with aFe. I want to be able to clean the filter easily and fast, I am not so concerned about flow. Really at the end of the day, what is the difference in horsepower between K&N & aFe? Maybe 0.5rwhp?

aFe I am willing to sacrifice some flow for easiness to clean & better filtration.