1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Induction System

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by parfleet, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Jul 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM
    parfleet

parfleet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Pensacola, FL.
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner, SR5 Package, 4.0 Engin
    Front Bush Guard with 100 Watt Driving Lights, Color Match Tonel Cover. Cold Air Intake By True Flow,added an additional 26 HP.
    I have a 2005 Tocoma Pre-Runner Package with SR5 Accessory Package.
    I have done a few mods. First, fiberglass tonnel cover that is color matched to the truck. K&N air filter and converted to Royal Purple motor oil. I get 19.5 to 20.5 MPG depending on how bad I put my foot into it. I was thinking if a cold air intake would improve my MPG. There are just so many models and brands out there right now. You can get them with an exposed air filter or an air filter box. Any ideas on which one is best. I have friends that tell me one that the filter is enclosed is best because the filter is protected from the engine health, but that looks and sounds like OEM pretty much to me.

100_0784.jpg

2. Jul 17, 2008 at 5:16 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Try the search function- You'll find about a million threads about air filters and CAI's. And who likes what for which model.

Good luck finding the one that makes you happy!!

3. Jul 17, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    For those of us that have URD True Cold Air, there is really no comparison. It sounds awesome under full throttle, and is quiet at idle and cruising.

The best fuel economy I have ever gotten was 24.6 MPG in eastern Colorado on the highway at a steady 70 MPH.

Here is a picture of mine...

[​IMG]

4. Jul 17, 2008 at 6:36 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    URD is where it's at for on-road use. I don't think I'd have this one if I went offroad.
    [​IMG]

5. Jul 17, 2008 at 7:30 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Good point. Road/Street/Highway use only.

6. Jul 17, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's good to hear those reviews and see how sharp the black pc looks with the filter cover- I've got a tonneau and some cargo management stuff coming this month...next month is the intake...=)

And the URD TCAI wins the contest I think...=)

7. Jul 17, 2008 at 11:03 AM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    King Coilvers, 285 BFG A/T's, Moto Metal 951b's 17"
    Sorry if this is offtopic but, are the URD CAI's really illegal in California or or they just illegal with the supercharger?

8. Jul 17, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I believe they are illegal in California - period. They have not undergone emissions testing. However, I believe the Amsoil Filter they use is CA Legal...

9. Jul 17, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    You know, I got the cover because the idea of moisture in my intake scared the begesis outta me. I used it for a week. I drove out to Denver with it on until I got to Amarillo. Then I took it off for the rest of the trip. The only difference? - 2.5 MPG!!! I'm glad I have the cover in case I need it, but I don't think I will use it much now.

10. Jul 17, 2008 at 11:14 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    WOOOOOOOOOOO that is alot. Any other factors? headwinds, drafting, temp, humidity...all could have been a factor.

Or like me I drive faster home than there sometimes :D

11. Jul 17, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    humidity would have been a factor except that it rained on me pretty much non-stop from Junction, TX to Trinidad, CO. Other factors remained the same. It was still pretty hot outside, and I was cruising at 70 MPH with light wind of my port side.

12. Jul 17, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    You said port side....That sounds like work...=\

I only like the cover cause I don't want a blue filter sitting behind my grill on my black and red Taco.

I'm going to be taking the truck to the NAS hobby shop near here- Taking the tires off, re-balancing them with the weights inside, painting the stocker rims black, and the brake system red. All for the sake of getting rid of anything that isn't red or black...so a blue filter doesn't sit well with me....but if it eat 2.5mpg...I might just make due....or color it with a Sharpe.

13. Jul 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I did that to the words K&N on my cover. :D

Also, the blue filter isn't visible at all through the grill (especially after it gets some road grime on the front side). I am doing a specialized grill project (Satoshi Mod) on my grill, and I am going to leave the cover off. Once I am done, I will take pictures...

Cheers!

14. Sep 4, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    m3dragon

m3dragon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    AFE is a good choice. The URD one scares me as the it could easily suck in water to hydro lock the motor in a wacky but easy scenario. Just a thought.

15. Sep 4, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    baldbastard

baldbastard motivated learner

Member:
    Four Corners, CO side
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD 4 DOOR
    Stock, for now!
    Just got brand spank'n new 08 TRD OFFROAD 4 DOOR. There is a ton of off roading to be had out here. That being said, I've also got a 45 mile commute 2 days a week. I'm looking for the best exhaust/intake to satifiy both needs, mpg being the most important at the moment. I've only been looking at TRD products since they don't affect the warrenty (at least the exhaust doesn't) any ideas appriciated.

16. Sep 5, 2008 at 7:58 AM
    m3dragon

Member:
    Sacramento
    AFE, JBA headers, TRD exhaust, light wight crank pully (if after we make sure there is no issues from the people who have installed them) Customer under drive pullies for the power steering and water pump, electric fan conversion, software (URD seems to be the only available option but requires tuning)

That is your parts list.

17. Sep 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    baldbastard

baldbastard motivated learner

Member:
    Four Corners, CO side
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD 4 DOOR
    Stock, for now!
    Thanks man. Did any of these upgrades affect your warranty?

18. Sep 5, 2008 at 11:18 PM
    jonny_jard

jonny_jard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco
    3" suspension lift, bull bar, IPF 100w flood light system, side bars, custom fit leather seat covers, URD CAI, URD MAF calibrator,
    007Tacoma, where did yuo get your pre-filter from?

19. Sep 8, 2008 at 7:59 AM
    m3dragon

Member:
    Sacramento
    No it dose not affect warranty.

You can install a URD SC and still be in warranty.

20. Sep 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    you can get it from Amazon. Expect about a 2 MPG drop by using one.

Products Discussed in

To Top