1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headers!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by DirtLifeTaco, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    DirtLifeTaco

DirtLifeTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco Prerunner Black Stealth
    Want to know JBA's or Doug Thorleys? Best buy for the money???

2. Oct 1, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    doug thorley best bang for your buck

3. Oct 7, 2010 at 11:48 PM
    RADTACO68

RADTACO68 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rox
    colorado
    URD supercharger,Urd equel length headers and 3'' exhaust, 6" pro comp lift with Fox coilovers.BDS suspension.
    Just bought doug thorley ceramic headers! Lot cheaper and way better than jba

4. Oct 8, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    The doug thorley headers are tri-y. The JBA stick all the pipes together all at once. The JBA Headers are stainless steel. The doug thorley's are mild steel, not a real problem if you get the ceramic coating though.

On balance, I'd go with the doug thorley headers. Better flow design IMO. If I was buying them I'd prefer stainless steel, but the ceramic coating available will probably do almost as well in terms of corrosion. Plus, they are cheaper.

5. Oct 8, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Just got DT LT. DT seems to be the way to go and URD sells both DT and JBA in the short tube but only DT in the LT for my year and model which would be the same for you.

I am in the middle of installing them. Quality appears to be there for fit and ceramic coating. I am happy with what I got considering I only really had one choice for LT.

6. Oct 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    with the long tubes you'll feel the gain in the mid-high rpm range, especially if you get a tune, and they sound straight beast

7. Oct 20, 2010 at 1:25 AM
    kauai808boy

kauai808boy Member

Member:
    icon/fox 3inch lift, flow-master super 40, jba shorty headers
    ive seen dt and jba shorty headers with stock exhaust and then after with flowmaster super 40 series run on a dyno and there not that much of difference in torque and hp even wen they changed the exhaust to a flowmaster there was only a 4 hp gain from stock exhaust. so i think it doesn't really matter wat kind of brand of headers u get because they basically all do the same thing give more smoother output flow of air with less restriction i think u go with headers and exhaust mainly for the sound

if u want a big difference go with different piston or a shaved head for higher compression or supercharger

8. Nov 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    ikillterrorists

ikillterrorists Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    New Paltz, NY
    Vehicle:
    Sold my tacoma, got a Dodge Ram
    TRD Cold air intake Aries Grille Guard Flowmaster American Thunder Dual Exhaust Pro comp 3" suspension lift KMC XD Hoss, BFG KM2 285/75/16 Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator N-Fab Side Steps Access Roll-Up Cover TRD Quick Shifter SafeHitch
    How much louder do Doug Thorley headers make your truck sound, from inside the cab? I have a Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust and one in a while the volume starts getting to me...will DT's be much louder than this???

9. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    RADTACO68

RADTACO68 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rox
    colorado
    URD supercharger,Urd equel length headers and 3'' exhaust, 6" pro comp lift with Fox coilovers.BDS suspension.
    Prob wouldn't notice a big difference unless u are running a cold air intake.just realy up to u how much noise u like!

10. Nov 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    ikillterrorists

ikillterrorists Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    New Paltz, NY
    Vehicle:
    Sold my tacoma, got a Dodge Ram
    TRD Cold air intake Aries Grille Guard Flowmaster American Thunder Dual Exhaust Pro comp 3" suspension lift KMC XD Hoss, BFG KM2 285/75/16 Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator N-Fab Side Steps Access Roll-Up Cover TRD Quick Shifter SafeHitch
    Yeah I have a CAI...I love the sound of it, a lot more than the sound of the exhaust. Actually I'm kinda bummed sometimes because the exhaust overpowers the CAI sound!

Products Discussed in

To Top