Notices

K&N or AFE?

View Poll Results: K&N or AFE?
K&N Aie Filter 238 31.65%
AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter 440 58.51%
Other 74 9.84%
Voters: 752. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #21
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post

Anyway, I can say the aftermarket K&N provided a difference in performance on my truck over a stock air filter.. but better yet is a big money saver long term.
Theres a thread on here started by my cousin, who had K&N filters in all his cars, but over oiled it on this which fucked his maf up and lead to his fuel pump going out.

Its not likeley but could happen.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #22
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
austinstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadej87 View Post
i bought the AFE CAI, i heard that the oil from the K&N messes up the MAF, and if it doesnt, then oh well, better safe than sorry i guess

one of the guys i used to work with put the K&N in his and the power difference is about the same.
the only way a k&n will mess up a maf is if it is dripping with oil I have been running k&n for about 10 years in various vehicles, motorcycles tractors and mowers
Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #23
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott20054 View Post
ok so i been hearing quite a bit about AFE pro dry air filter. now i'm not looking a which i want to have i'm just wondering what yall think is better and why
do these things really make a difference?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #24
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post

do these things really make a difference?
For most engines? Yes. Though it isn't a huge difference. For the OP, probably more then the rest of us. Having a high flow air filter with a supercharger is highly desirable.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #25
blahablaha is on a distinguished road
Name: Father
blahablaha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have run K&N air filters in my trucks for years without issue. Cleaning them has never seemed like a big deal to me, pretty easy to do - use a garden hose, dry off, and spray with red oil: cleaning procedure. And the fear that oil would contaminate the operation of the MAF is certainly only possible if someone excessively over oiled the filter.. MAF Urban Myth

Anyway, I can say the aftermarket K&N provided a difference in performance on my truck over a stock air filter.. but better yet is a big money saver long term.

Interesting-- I'm a bit worried about my truck right now as I appear to have over-oiled my filter... but K&N claims that this is almost certainly not related to MAF failures. I've taken the filter off and am re-oiling it from a fresh cleaning, but your link laid my fears about damage to the truck to rest. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #26
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahablaha View Post
Interesting-- I'm a bit worried about my trick right now as I appear to have over-oiled my filter... but K&N claims that this is almost certainly not related to MAF failures. I've taken the filter off and am re-oiling it from a fresh cleaning, but your link laid my fears about damage to the truck to rest. Thanks!
You could confirm that one way or another with a can of MAF cleaner.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
You could confirm that one way or another with a can of MAF cleaner.
Hmmm.... I assume that is done according to the following post?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-cleaning.html
Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Hmmm.... I assume that is done according to the following post?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-cleaning.html
Well, you would want to follow the link there to the actual write up, but yes.
http://www.4runners.org/writeups/throttle/index.html
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #30
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
K&N

i kinda new to the whole K&N line but i cleaned and oiled my filter. When i oiled i followed the directions and it said to oil till a deep red appears so i did so and it took about have the bottle to do so is this normal????

thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Well, you would want to follow the link there to the actual write up, but yes.
http://www.4runners.org/writeups/throttle/index.html
You know, I finally got around to doing this, though a much more helpful walk-through can be found at:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...g-2005-v6.html

Sure enough, my MAF was splattered with oil from my K&N filter. A little contact cleaner cleaned 'er right up, and the throttle body got a scrub-down too. The engine is much peppier and the throttle is more responsive... no more gurgling at low RPMs.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #32

Quote:
You know, I finally got around to doing this, though a much more helpful walk-through can be found at:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...g-2005-v6.html

Sure enough, my MAF was splattered with oil from my K&N filter. A little contact cleaner cleaned 'er right up, and the throttle body got a scrub-down too. The engine is much peppier and the throttle is more responsive... no more gurgling at low RPMs.

Thanks!
That is a better how-to. Glad cleaning everything fixed you up.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 AM   #33
396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BMC  -  Retired USNR
396tears's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
I have run K&N air filters in my trucks for years without issue. Cleaning them has never seemed like a big deal to me, pretty easy to do - use a garden hose, dry off, and spray with red oil: cleaning procedure. And the fear that oil would contaminate the operation of the MAF is certainly only possible if someone excessively over oiled the filter.. MAF Urban Myth

X2

i have used them for several years
Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #34
LongfellowDeeds
LongfellowDeeds is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jonathan
LongfellowDeeds's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil EAA....

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=EAA238-EA

Will be installing one in my Taco after work today. My roommate put one in his 2001 cobra mustang and could tell a nice difference. You can also hear it sucking the air through. Almost sounds like he has a turbo on the thing...... Cant wait to see how it does on the taco!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #35
nmtim is on a distinguished road
nmtim's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone see a problem running an AFE filter on the K&N CAI?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #36
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtim View Post
Anyone see a problem running an AFE filter on the K&N CAI?
if you could find a filter that would fit, but i really dont see any reason in doing that unless you already have the k and n and you wanna get rid of the oiled filter
Old 12-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #37
Abron Cabron
NewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic; Ski Patrol; River Guide
Name: Abraham
NewMexiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So I live in the desert too, and I decided to switch to AFE from K&N, because dirt and oil is no bueno. Cant say I notice a huge difference, but it still seems to be the right choice for offroading and living in the dirt.

on the other hand I do have a K&N filter for 05-up that i posted for sale in the BST a while ago. If this thread sways anyone back to K&N you can have mine for at least half off plus the filter cleaner kit thrown in. PM me for a good deal.
...or I guess i'll have a spare in case of catastrophic airfilter failure...or some shit. lol. sorry for the ...
Old 12-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #38
Love Your Leisure
BrentPaucke is on a distinguished road
Navy: ABH
Name: brent
BrentPaucke's Tacoma Gallery
you should get the afe stage 2 si (sealed intake) with the pro dry filter not only will you enjoy less maintance on you filter but it has a nice little growl and its sealed so less hott air from the engine
Old 12-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #39
Son of Baconator
unentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FCC(SW)
Name: Jacob
unentered's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to unentered Send a message via Skype™ to unentered
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
amsoil ea
This is what I chose, same concept as AFE Pro Dry, and for some reason I think they may manufacture the filters for AEM??
Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #40
Mi Vida Taco will become famous soon enoughMi Vida Taco will become famous soon enough

Army: Infantry
Mi Vida Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It seems to me that its more of a pain to wash the AFE! having to refill that bucket that many times. K&N just takes me 2 minutes with a garden hose with a nozzle than let dry then a light spray of oil, not very hard to do and not using 4-5 huge buckets of water. Though ive never used the AFE dry filter so dont know the differance performance wise. but if every one says thats its about the same then im stickin with K&N.