1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N or AFE?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by scott20054, Oct 4, 2010.

?

K&N or AFE?

1. K&N Aie Filter

239 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter

443 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. Other

74 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Jan 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    JC808

JC808 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    10,DBL CAB, Blacked OUT!
    AFE Pro Dry Intake, Flowmaster 50 Series, Rear Camera Mod, Day Running Light Mod, Kill Switches!
    Installed the AFE intake this weekend with little to no instruction... Very easy!

2. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've owned both.

The K&N's allow more air flow than the AFE's.

Keep your K&N cleaned regularly. THe oil in the filter is what removes the fine dust/dirt and if the filter is dirty...it can't filter properly. I used to clean my K&N's every 6 months. Make sure the K&N is fully dry before applying the oil or else the oil won't 'wick' properly into the filter material. If the oil doesn't wick properly or overoiling, you can/will have oil on the MAF.

Always have your OEM paper filter available to use when you're cleaning. Let the filter dry overnight before oiling.

3. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I clean my AFE the same way I clean my previously owned K&N's. I actually use the AFE cleaning agent also (not sure if that's even necessary). No buckets for me.

4. Jan 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    gray liquid

gray liquid Member

Member:
    NC, for now
    Vehicle:
    '08 2.7, 4x4, access cab
    rmvd 2ndary air filter, memphis audio speakers,lce header, mobil1 full syn engoil(factory filter), afe pro dry s drop in,
    TOYOTA'S WEBSITE SAYS SOME AFTERMARKET COLD AIR INTAKES INTERFERE WITH THE MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR. ANYONE KNOW OF THIS PROB W/ K/N OR AFE. ALSO DOES AFE WARRANTY PRODUCT AS WELL AS K/N?

5. Jan 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    If you are going to go through all this to clean an air filter, you are anal...anal....anal....anal....or unemployed, or both.

6. Feb 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    anrima

anrima Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 DC 6 Spd
    AFE Pro Dry S, Flowmaster
    I love my AFE - sounds great and I am definitely getting 1-2 MPG better.

7. Feb 10, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    usualxsuspect

usualxsuspect Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 2.4L 2WD Xtracab SR5
    Pioneer deck + amp w/ Polk Audio 10' sub. AFE Pro Dry S air filter. Bug and window deflectors. Tinted all around.
    I've had my AFE since I got the truck. I'd recommend it.

8. Feb 11, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
    That's what I'm running...super easy to clean. It is a dry filter, like the AFE...so you only need a shop vac and an air compressor to clean.

I used to have a K&N in my old cherokee. They suck to clean and maintain.

9. Feb 11, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    I put an Injen CAI on my truck. It came with an Amsoil Ea dry filter. I added their prefilter to keep any big stuff off the filter, and it helps prevent water from going in the filter. I liked the Amsoil filter enought that I ordered the drop-in replacement for my wife's minivan.

10. Feb 11, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    likekaakow

likekaakow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    11' 4x2 sr5
    I have a 2011 Tacoma SR5---

Looking to buy the AFE cold air kit, anyone have the link for one that would work with my truck?

11. Feb 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
  12. Mar 8, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    sac130e

sac130e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Milton, FL.
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off-Road 2wd
    JVC Nav. System and entire Memphis Audio Speakers/Amps
    Don't think AFE has made filters for the 2011 Tacoma yet. Checked Autoanything website and not available. Seems to be a few things not out yet for the 2011.

13. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    Kelsey

Kelsey Camping Lover

Member:
    Jasper, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 Doublecab TRD 2WD
    K&N, Redline Differential Fluid
    I owned three different vehicles with K&N filters, my Taco included. I cleaned it and the wife's last Tuesday, and I really don't know why some folks think it's such a pain.
    It takes, like, two minutes to soak it with cleaner and wash it out with a garden hose. As far as oiling it goes, I spray it with a coat and let it sit while I'm doing other stuff so I can see if it's going to need more oiling (the white element will turn red if it's saturated well). Then I hit it with a finish coat to get what I missed the first time.
    Of course, it takes quite a while for the filter to air dry after you wash it, but if it's winter time, lay it on top of a heater register in the house. If it's summer, put it in the sun, leaned up so air can blow through it.
    Total actual time for the "process" of cleaning/re-oiling takes maybe 5-6 minutes.
    I think a lot of people are just impatient, and sit there and stare at the thing while it's drying or something. Impatience also makes them oil it heavier than they should because they want to hurry and get done.
    One thing that helps in the oiling is buying the oil in the aerosol version instead of the pump version. It's faster and easier to put it where you want it in an even coat.
    I've never used any other brand of performance filter, but the K&N has done so well for me, why should I? What you like is what you like. And it works...when I first put it in my truck, I got an honest 1mpg increase. Not much, but it's almost 20 more miles per tank. Might get me to the next gas station on a bad day!
    It helped the bottom end too. I know because on a particular long hill where my truck would always downshift, with the K&N it kept right on truckin' in high gear.

14. Apr 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    sako243

sako243 Active Member

Member:
    pennsylvaina
    Vehicle:
    2008 taco 4x4 off road v6
    scangaugell, bug deflector,
    i bought the afe cus i had the k&n in my dodge and it messed up my map. i have it for 30,000 miles and it still preformes flawless.

15. May 10, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    I personally run the K&N. Both air filters will do justice. It seems like the bottom line is how much maintenance you want to do on a given filter. AFE wash and dry. K&N wash, dry, oil (properly). When in doubt under oil, let it soak, and adjust fire from there. Personally I like taking the extra time to clean it and pay the extra attention to detail to have an oiled filter. To each his own more or less. Hope this helps.

16. Jun 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    GatorComa

GatorComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR 4x4
  17. Jun 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    UMBCrew

UMBCrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 6" Pro Comp Stage II
    6" Pro Comp Stage II, 305/65r17 Pro Comp Xtreme AT, Pro Comp 7033 17x9s, AFe Stage 2 Si, All-Pro Rear Bumper, Ultra-Guage, Kenwood KDC-X895, Kicker 6.5 2 ways
    Pro Dry all the way. I used to use K&N's in everything until it did screw up my MAF which threw codes and caused me fail a smog. Replaced the MAF, Threw away the K&N 350$ dollars later never had another code or problem since. I will not ever use a oiled filter in any car or truck ever again. I don't care what brand of car or filter. And to all the skeptics yes I did clean and oil correctly. when it happens to you, youll then feel the exact same way and never use an oiled filter again.

18. Jul 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Shadowbear01

Shadowbear01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    "North County" San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma DCSB Sport, 4.0L
    AFE throttle-body spacer, Doug Thorley shorty headers, TRD catback, adjustable Bilstein's set at highest level , Add-a-leaf and Bilstein 5100's, All-Pro rack
    My experience...
    I bought the AFE dry filter CAI. After three months of daily driving I noticed a drop in milage, down to 14MPG. I contacted AFE and spoke to Paul, he was very helpful. He sent me a new formed tube as there were some problems with the originals AND a new oiled filter. I used the oiled filter for two years.
    The dry filter is an extremely loud filter, which is great for scaring the crap out of people when passing them. The oiled has a bit less noise, but no noticeable performance gain over the dry. I have recently gone back to the stock airbox, with a K&N drop-in filter and my milage has gone up to 17.6 MPG.
    In my opinion, based upon two years experience as a daily driver, unless you regularly drive in the upper ranges of the RPM band there isn't much need for the big cone filters.
    BTW: I'll be selling my AFE dry & oiled filter kits soon.

19. Jul 19, 2011 at 4:08 AM
    Geno96542

Geno96542 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    K&N CAI Borla catback exhaust
    I've had a k&n cai on for ablot 15000 miles. Been seeing people say don't use k&n because of the oil and only sucks in hot air. I recorded the rpm's for idle and cruise speeds from 25mph to 70mph. Last night my aFe drop in filter came in. I put back on my stock intake with the afe. so far the rpms are a few hundred higher. I will update after this tank of gas with both rpms and mpg.

20. Jul 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    dwr80

dwr80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok, So honestly, I know there has been lots of posts on CAI's. What does one really gain from installing? Have an 09 trd sport and was thinking of the K&N 77 intake. I've always had KN filters and cleaning them is NO big deal. Just wondering what I would gain in installing this?

Products Discussed in

To Top