Other 74 9.83%
Voters: 753. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #61
Geno96542 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Gene
Geno96542's Tacoma Gallery
K&N CAI VS. aFe drop in filter

I've had a k&n cai on for ablot 15000 miles. Been seeing people say don't use k&n because of the oil and only sucks in hot air. I recorded the rpm's for idle and cruise speeds from 25mph to 70mph. Last night my aFe drop in filter came in. I put back on my stock intake with the afe. so far the rpms are a few hundred higher. I will update after this tank of gas with both rpms and mpg.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #62
dwr80 is on a distinguished road
dwr80's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, So honestly, I know there has been lots of posts on CAI's. What does one really gain from installing? Have an 09 trd sport and was thinking of the K&N 77 intake. I've always had KN filters and cleaning them is NO big deal. Just wondering what I would gain in installing this?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #63
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno96542 View Post
I've had a k&n cai on for ablot 15000 miles. Been seeing people say don't use k&n because of the oil and only sucks in hot air. I recorded the rpm's for idle and cruise speeds from 25mph to 70mph. Last night my aFe drop in filter came in. I put back on my stock intake with the afe. so far the rpms are a few hundred higher. I will update after this tank of gas with both rpms and mpg.
What does rpm have to do with your air cleaner? Your transmission and rear end control the rpm/mph.

There is no reason your rpm would be higher with one filter over another unless somehow your torque converter isn't locking up with one for some reason?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #64
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr80 View Post
Ok, So honestly, I know there has been lots of posts on CAI's. What does one really gain from installing? Have an 09 trd sport and was thinking of the K&N 77 intake. I've always had KN filters and cleaning them is NO big deal. Just wondering what I would gain in installing this?
K&N doesn't make cold air intakes for Tacomas. They make hot air intakes but that's it.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #65
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
What does rpm have to do with your air cleaner? Your transmission and rear end control the rpm/mph.

There is no reason your rpm would be higher with one filter over another unless somehow your torque converter isn't locking up with one for some reason?
lol
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #66
jastampke is on a distinguished road

Name: jason
jastampke's Tacoma Gallery
looking for better mpg's

does either filter help with mpg. should i go with the entire cold air system or just a filter for better mpg?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #67
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastampke View Post
does either filter help with mpg. should i go with the entire cold air system or just a filter for better mpg?
You won't get better mpg with a different air filter, or cold air system.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #68
Big R is on a distinguished road
Name: James Gibbs (randy)
Big R's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Big R
Airraid

I like Airraid.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #69
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
I realize this thread is old as dirt, but K&N is not difficult to clean or oil IMHO. The whole process takes 5 minutes (plus time to dry before oiling). I've no complaints with K&N and I'm on my 4th vehicle with K&N now and still using the same recharging kit.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #70
COBOUNDTACO is on a distinguished road
COBOUNDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've always run KN in everything. The box says clean every 100,000 miles and that build up in the filter helps filtration. I know dusty/offroad conditions warrant cleaning more often, but over cleaning is bad for the filter. Did I read it wrong?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #71
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBOUNDTACO View Post
I've always run KN in everything. The box says clean every 100,000 miles and that build up in the filter helps filtration. I know dusty/offroad conditions warrant cleaning more often, but over cleaning is bad for the filter. Did I read it wrong?
I don't think you want to clean it too often. My approach is clean it religously - which is to say, only when I think of it. That works out to about twice a year.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #72
Sanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Reed
Sanders17's Tacoma Gallery
AFE definitely
Old 09-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #73
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
filter

even tho i am an amsoil dealer, i use afe. tired of the oil mess and problems which can result therefrom.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #74
rubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: civil engineer
Name: nicholas
rubberduckytaco's Tacoma Gallery
would there be a difference in just putting the afe filter in oem box vs putting a afe filter on a CAI? im new to this so dont yell at me

p.s. can someone provide a link to buy such items please and thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #75
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
afe

i just bought the are and put it in the stock box. google are air filter and you'll get bunch of online stores selling them. i don't remember the name of the place i bought from. but it was 55 bucks shipped. by the way, according to my ultra gauge, my mileage did increase. when a motor doesn't have to work as hard to pull air in, up goes efficiency.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod45 View Post
i just bought the are and put it in the stock box. google are air filter and you'll get bunch of online stores selling them. i don't remember the name of the place i bought from. but it was 55 bucks shipped. by the way, according to my ultra gauge, my mileage did increase. when a motor doesn't have to work as hard to pull air in, up goes efficiency.
Your ultra gauge isn't precise enough to tell one way or the other, but strict laboratory testing using precise repeatable test loops say they don't increase mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

Pretty simply, the filter is not the restriction that is causing the motor to "work hard to pull air in" as you say. Under anything but wide open throttle, the throttle plate restricts the intake, that is how a gas motor is controlled. At any cruising speed the throttle is only slightly open, this causes the restriction and it doesn't matter if the air filter is more or less restrictive as the throttle plate is by far the biggest restriction. With no filter the throttle plate may open slightly less for the same speed, with a nearly clogged filter the throttle plate opens slightly more for the same speed but the mpg stays the same and the total restriction stays the same.

A restricted air filter may produce slightly less HP at wide open throttle and at 4-6000 rpm, but at part throttle it doesn't matter.

But throttle response, that another story.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #77
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I just added an old used KN cone filter to the end of my oem intake arm. No significant gains over drop in amsoil filter. Just better throttle response on take off.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #78
Unzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3/3 SFG(A) Retired
Name: Randy
Unzapato's Tacoma Gallery
K&N all the way

I guess it depends on your maintenance desires since the AFE is winning the poll. I've used K&Ns on my bikes and trucks for many years and never minded cleaning them. The manufacturer's data alone is enough to make me stick with K&N. The purpose IS to increase air flow after all.

AFE PRO DRY AIR FILTER = 416 CFM
K&N = 706.3 CFM
Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unzapato View Post
I guess it depends on your maintenance desires since the AFE is winning the poll. I've used K&Ns on my bikes and trucks for many years and never minded cleaning them. The manufacturer's data alone is enough to make me stick with K&N. The purpose IS to increase air flow after all.

AFE PRO DRY AIR FILTER = 416 CFM
K&N = 706.3 CFM
If the engine can't use it, it doesn't matter.

CFM = CID X RPM X VE / 3456 (3456 = 12" X 12" X 12" X 2 revs per CID)
CFM = 242CI X 5500RPM X 90% / 3456 = 346 < 416 < 706. Even 100% volumetric efficiency is less than 416 cfm

You aren't increasing air flow just because the filter can flow more.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #80
Unzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3/3 SFG(A) Retired
Name: Randy
Unzapato's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
If the engine can't use it, it doesn't matter.

CFM = CID X RPM X VE / 3456 (3456 = 12" X 12" X 12" X 2 revs per CID)
CFM = 242CI X 5500RPM X 90% / 3456 = 346 < 416 < 706. Even 100% volumetric efficiency is less than 416 cfm

You aren't increasing air flow just because the filter can flow more.
Under perfect conditions where zero dirt exists that is true (even though that math is way beyond anything I want to figure out), but the fact is there will always be dirt in the filter. Given the same amount of crud build-up in both filters, the less restrictive filter will give better performance. Again, individual maintenance preference matters more, as they are both great filters. I'll stick with the K&N. They are cheaper anyway.