Notices

K&N or AFE?

View Poll Results: K&N or AFE?
K&N Aie Filter 238 31.61%
AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter 441 58.57%
Other 74 9.83%
Voters: 753. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #81
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unzapato View Post
Under perfect conditions where zero dirt exists that is true (even though that math is way beyond anything I want to figure out), but the fact is there will always be dirt in the filter. Given the same amount of crud build-up in both filters, the less restrictive filter will give better performance. Again, individual maintenance preference matters more, as they are both great filters. I'll stick with the K&N. They are cheaper anyway.
The point is the engine doesn't need a high flow filter if it doesn't flow that much air anyway. You can't get better performance if the filter can outflow the engine.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #82
Unzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnzapato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3/3 SFG(A) Retired
Name: Randy
Unzapato's Tacoma Gallery
Point taken.

My point is dirt in the filter will restrict airflow. If not, why do you ever have to change/clean it? The less restrictive filter will remain the less restrictive with the same amount of dirt packed into it. If you are saying there is no point at which a clogged filter restricts airflow then you are dreadfully wrong. By your logic one should never have to change the factory filter.

Anyway, find a paper element filter with factory specs that is cleanable/reusable that is cheaper than both and I'm in there like swimwear.

Otherwise: 1x $54 K&N > 1x $57 AER > Many x $24 Fram filters over the lifetime of the truck.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #83
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unzapato View Post
Point taken.

My point is dirt in the filter will restrict airflow. If not, why do you ever have to change/clean it? The less restrictive filter will remain the less restrictive with the same amount of dirt packed into it. If you are saying there is no point at which a clogged filter restricts airflow then you are dreadfully wrong. By your logic one should never have to change the factory filter.

Anyway, find a paper element filter with factory specs that is cleanable/reusable that is cheaper than both and I'm in there like swimwear.

Otherwise: 1x $54 K&N > 1x $57 AER > Many x $24 Fram filters over the lifetime of the truck.
After reading the link that I provided on post 77 I have decided to go 60k miles interval before changing the filter for me. They found no change in MPG but reduction (7%) power with filters that are 2-3 times more clogged than a filter with 30k of use. A dirty filter actually filters more, which is a good thing. No argument a very dirty filter will reduce peak power, but not with your typical 30K interval.

With my 2.7L I don't care if I lose a few HP at 5500rpm, I don't see that engine speed anyway. I picked up 3 oem filters at the dealer for $14.99 each, that's 240k for $45 including the original.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #84
Scrider424 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Anthony
Scrider424's Tacoma Gallery
I do a lot of beach driving here in corpus and it's super fine sand that gets everywhere. What do you guys recommend for me? I like the idea of the dry filters as I don't want to deal with the oil gunking up anything. However would the dry filters offer enough protection? Is my best bet just to stay stock paper filter while I'm living here?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #85
John Cheong is on a distinguished road

Name: John
John Cheong's Tacoma Gallery
ive seen k&n can fuck up your MAF sensor because of the oil. i use afe and i love it!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #86
802Tacoma is on a distinguished road
802Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How much does a CAI help with mileage, I have been on the fence about one for a while, wondering if it is worth it.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #87
accesscab is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
accesscab's Tacoma Gallery
I have a k&n and wish I would have got afe does anyone know if an afe dry filter will fit on k&n intake?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #88
accesscab is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
accesscab's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I will do. Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #89
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrider424 View Post
I do a lot of beach driving here in corpus and it's super fine sand that gets everywhere. What do you guys recommend for me? I like the idea of the dry filters as I don't want to deal with the oil gunking up anything. However would the dry filters offer enough protection? Is my best bet just to stay stock paper filter while I'm living here?
I would recommend NOT removing the secondary filter first of all then just cleaning/replacing more often whether you use oiled, dry or paper.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #91
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you still have the secondary charcoal filter in the stock air intake on a 2nd gen, an oiled K&N drop-in will never mess with your MAF. The secondary charcoal filter is eventually, way way down the road, going to get dirty too. Then what, buy a whole new lid to get a clean one? Wash it off with lid removed from truck? Remove it and go more? It's just a matter of reusing or filling landfills with old filters. None are any better or worse. Just choose one because clean or dirty is the only real difference.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #92
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
Does the AFE pro dry add any performance compared to the stock filter?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #93
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't think oiling the filter is a pain in the ass, and plus I've never had a MAF problem.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #94
gold68ht is on a distinguished road

Army: UH-60/UH-1/UH-72 crew chief
gold68ht's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD intake kit, and I have no complaints. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone over-oiling the filter.

The oil is spray on, and it's dyed red. Spray it on, just enough to tint the media red, then let it sit on some newspaper for 20 mins or so. If it's running out of the filter onto the paper, you put on too much. Clean it and start over.

Seems easy enough to me. Isn't the AF-e kit more expensive?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #95
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

K&N intake tube, Volant box, aFe dry-flo filter & oem wheel well baffle. There, some of everything..........minus any oiling.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #96
As the crow flies
Corvus is on a distinguished road

Corvus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
K&N intake tube, Volant box, aFe dry-flo filter & oem wheel well baffle. There, some of everything..........minus any oiling.

That's a nice looking setup right there.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #97
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks. Added the ram air to it the other day..............clear lid for filter box is next.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #98
As the crow flies

Corvus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. Added the ram air to it the other day..............clear lid for filter box is next.

Looks great! That's a serious air setup! How does it sound??

Going with the full CAI short ram would be a diminishing return over just dropping in a Pro Dry methinks...
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #99
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I didn't care for the open filter in the bay like the K&N setup is. Soaked up heat even with the divider wall and also soaked up moisture enough to bog the truck on frwy in hard rain. The sound is noticeable with header and intake but is different and not brappy with filter enclosed in the box like it was when open. Other than the enclosed kind of setup, just the pro dry s drop-in in the oem box is next best IMO.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #100
As the crow flies

Corvus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't care for the open filter in the bay like the K&N setup is. Soaked up heat even with the divider wall and also soaked up moisture enough to bog the truck on frwy in hard rain. The sound is noticeable with header and intake but is different and not brappy with filter enclosed in the box like it was when open. Other than the enclosed kind of setup, just the pro dry s drop-in in the oem box is next best IMO.
Great. Thanks for the feedback. I can def see where you're coming from not wanting the filter out in the open like that. Wish they made a fender mount like I had on my old Foxbody mustang. What's your total bill for a setup like this if you don't mind me asking? Seems like a ram air and closed off box like you have is probably the best setup you can run. I'd like something like that also with some LCE headers. Do you see any real loss of performance or need for a retune? Running lean at all?