K&N or AFE?

View Poll Results: K&N or AFE?
K&N Aie Filter 238 31.56%
AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter 442 58.62%
Other 74 9.81%
Voters: 754. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #101
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
No loss of performance and doesn't seem to be lean but don't have an afr hooked up to it. I do have the URD MAF calibrator and an innovate LC-1 wbo2 with gauge but haven't hooked it up yet. May complete setup with aeroturbine 2525xl muffler/resonator before going to tuning. I have the bluetooth elm 327 and torque app on my droid phone but haven't spent much time playing around or monitoring long term fuel trims yet....need to tho.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #103
ich bin die Scheiße
IBATanker is on a distinguished road

Army: bad mo fo
Name: Chuck
IBATanker's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about that to, oiled vs. non-oiled. And what brand was good, thinking about getting a cold air intake in the future.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #104
bzwarts is on a distinguished road

Name: brad
bzwarts's Tacoma Gallery
i just installed a k+n on my 01, and it sounds amasing when you have your foot into it, as well as a pretty surprising preformance gain, but for some reason it will randomly stall when i push the clutch in, as well as randomly bounces a code that tells me it is running too lean. i have just emailed k+n and have not yet got a responce
Old 03-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #105
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a Volant intake with air scoop. It's loud!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #106
The Riddler is on a distinguished road

The Riddler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
I have run K&N air filters in my trucks for years without issue. Cleaning them has never seemed like a big deal to me, pretty easy to do - use a garden hose, dry off, and spray with red oil: cleaning procedure. And the fear that oil would contaminate the operation of the MAF is certainly only possible if someone excessively over oiled the filter.. MAF Urban Myth

Anyway, I can say the aftermarket K&N provided a difference in performance on my truck over a stock air filter.. but better yet is a big money saver long term.
I agree. I can see someone over oiling a K and N and slapping it in without drying. It says in the instructions to let it dry. Sometimes over a day. I like the convenience of the AFE not to oil it. Maybe I might try one sometime....Like others, I don't see it to be a mistake to buy a K and N.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #107
808Bradah is on a distinguished road
808Bradah's Tacoma Gallery
how often do u guys clean the afe air filter?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #108
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
I just installed a Volant intake with air scoop. It's loud!
Just sold some springs to a guy who runs this setup. Ran the volant box first, liked it. Picked up a second hand scoop and raved about the increase in power. Made up my mind for me that the URD that I've been drooling over is the way to go for maximum effect.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #110
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Buy 2 either way and then just change them out periodicaly and no wait to dry. Clean it and let it dry whenever you feel like it. I too have used KN filters for years with no problem. Either way you have to let it dry.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #111
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Buy 2 either way and then just change them out periodicaly and no wait to dry. Clean it and let it dry whenever you feel like it. I too have used KN filters for years with no problem. Either way you have to let it dry.
Agreed. I only ran one, and had to let it dry for an afternoon when I cleaned it. Def shoulda had two!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #112
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
Agreed. I only ran one, and had to let it dry for an afternoon when I cleaned it. Def shoulda had two!
Save your stock 'paper' filter.

When you clean the K&N, put the stock filter back in..... until the K&N is dry, oiled, and ready to put back in.

That's what I do whenever I've cleaned the K&N's that I've owned and the AFE.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Save your stock 'paper' filter.

When you clean the K&N, put the stock filter back in..... until the K&N is dry, oiled, and ready to put back in.

That's what I do whenever I've cleaned the K&N's that I've owned and the AFE.
Another good idea. I had the cone, shoulda bought two.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #114
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
Location: Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on the right.
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
When it all comes down to it, it's personal choice. I have never had an issue with K&N, which I have run in every make and model of vehicle I have owned including heavy duty trucks, my Ducati, and currently in my Taco. I think the K&N rep is hard to beat, and sure, the cleaning takes a few minutes, but the money that I have saved on filters is pretty nice. K&N also offers a bombastic warranty, but outside of manufacturer defects, what can REALLY go wrong with a filter outside of abuse and neglect? The prices are all marginally similar for the initial purchase - but I only have to buy the cleaning kit every 5 or so cleanings. Just my $0.02.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...ir-intake.aspx
Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #115
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mipawlus View Post
K&N also offers a bombastic warranty, but outside of manufacturer defects, what can REALLY go wrong with a filter outside of abuse and neglect?
dry rot... tho' it took 12 years

But K&N shipped me a new element free of charge...
so I'm good for another 12

I like my fipk element plenty...
Saved me tons of money over the years...
But never mind their drop in element for the stock AB.
I'd stick to the the stock fuzzy over that.

Too many folk seem to compare K&N's "drop in" to the fipk element.
They are not even close to being the same...
except for the sharing of the mfg'rs product name.

btw...

to help minimize that dry rot occurrence...
it is as simple as rotating the element on is base mount...
so that the same pleats are not at the bottom, always.

If any moisture gets to the pleats...
gravity will wick moisture to the lowest pleats.
When that dries... and over time...
dry rot could occur.

just sayin'
Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #116
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to pass along my experience with the AFE Pro Dry S CAI. I had it installed on my Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel for about a year. To do an oil change I pulled off the tube running from the filter element to the turbo, and couldn't help but notice how dirty the turbo was...

I checked the entire set up to see if it could have be caused by a leak, and everything was tight. I can only surmise that the dirt on the turbo came thru the filter element.

I went with AFE due to the ease of care and not having to oil the element, But because of that experience I'd never trust one on another vehicle again.

Just my $.02 YMMV.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #117
Don't mind me, I'm only slightly stupid
HamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
HamerMan's Tacoma Gallery
The k&n CAN mess the MAF up if you over oil it. Otherwise it works beautifully
Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #118
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Hello all noob here...I'm interested in the AFE filter. Where would I get one? (Gonna search of course)

Now not to stir any pot that may be around on this issue, but I've heard these higher performance air filters let more dirt/contaminates through. What say you?
Old 10-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #119
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
Hello all noob here...I'm interested in the AFE filter. Where would I get one? (Gonna search of course)

Now not to stir any pot that may be around on this issue, but I've heard these higher performance air filters let more dirt/contaminates through. What say you?
Fact.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #120
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
Good experience with k&n so far