Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

DTLT headers install problem?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
kagmyster00 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
kagmyster00's Tacoma Gallery
DTLT headers install problem?

Ok i got my headers today so i started to take off my stock exhaust manifold and as i got to the bolts that are on the brackets that go to the transmission where it connects to the Y pipe i ran into a problem i can not get these bolts loose i tried everything so im thinking about just cutting the bracket off would this be ok or do i need that support for the headers?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation I wouldn't do that..

Try soaking with WD40, or PB blaster & use a breaker bar first
Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Penetrating lube over night and more right before you take the part off.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
kagmyster00 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
kagmyster00's Tacoma Gallery
well i tried soaking it over night and spayed it again before i tried to get them loose well now the bolt is rounded off so now im screwed anything i could try without cutting it off
Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Bobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant future

Army: C Co, 2nd Bat 75th Inf
Name: Bobo
Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea. I am doing mine this weekend. If there is a bracket there I wouldn't taking/cutting it off unless it is not used as part of the mount for the LT headers. I would going to Sears or any hardware/automotive store and getting the specific socket/tool used to get off rounded nuts. I have gotten round nuts off sometime by hammering on a smaller socket (real bitch to get it off), use a butane torch to heat it up, use a hammer and chisel to work it off. I have not looked at the nut so I am not sure if you could take a cutoff wheel to it to cut it away.

BTW, anything you can share with me on doing this beyond your current issue - I started another thread asking for tips and suggestions. I don't have a manual and I assume there are no instructions in the box but I have done this on bikes and cars.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt remount mine and have had no problems
Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmyster00 View Post
well i tried soaking it over night and spayed it again before i tried to get them loose well now the bolt is rounded off so now im screwed anything i could try without cutting it off
You can by a stripped nut or bolt remover. The size you need is 14mm

Those brackets are there for a good reason. If the headers are not secured to the brackets, there could be issues with the motor tourqing and causing possible damage to the header flanges. Not 100% positive but I would hate to find ou the hard way.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Bobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant future

Army: C Co, 2nd Bat 75th Inf
Name: Bobo
Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
According to the install instructions I have both brackets are to be reused. Therefore, I wouldn't cut it! Keep them and reuse them. That is whay the end of the header is threaded to take the stock bolt.