Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

AFE pro dry S filter?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #21
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
Yes please post part #s for both pieces as I am looking at making this one of my next mods and I had heard +s and -s of the oil based filters (mainly the dirt thing). So if someone has a way to improve the performance of my Taco even more... let me at it
Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #22
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyman81 View Post
Yes please post part #s for both pieces as I am looking at making this one of my next mods and I had heard +s and -s of the oil based filters (mainly the dirt thing). So if someone has a way to improve the performance of my Taco even more... let me at it
Not really knowing what motor you have by your info.?
If you haven't done anything yet you have options.
The true CAI's that replace everything from the thottle body out aren't cheap. Anywhere from $250 and up. Some at this price are sucking air from the engine compartment as well. Limited gain if any.
The Toyota airbox setup isn't really that bad and does suck the air from outside the engine compartment through the fender well area. A drop in replacement oil free OEM type filter would offer better results than some of the high dollar ones for that reason for $45. If you still wanted more power and are slightly mech. inclined there is the deck plate mod. that some on here recommend.
Personally the only reason I go with an aftermarket drop in is maybe slightly more responsiveness and the fact that they are cleanable and reuseable and usually pay for themselves within 3 factory type air filter replacements.

http://www.afefilters.com/IntakeSytemstest.php
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #23
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
My apologies. I do have the V-6 and have done nothing to anything (yet - getting the exhaust done tomorrow - Flowmaster 40). So I was mainly trying to figure out if it would be better to just change the drop in filter and see what I get (as I am not mechanically inclined enough to want to monkey with cutting holes in anything) or pay to have a complete intake system put in. Just trying to get a guage on if I will see better results one way over another and if the "full" intake is worth the extra $$$$ (and I would probably want to stay away from the oiled filters )
Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #24
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My apologies. I do have the V-6 and have done nothing to anything (yet - getting the exhaust done tomorrow - Flowmaster 40). So I was mainly trying to figure out if it would be better to just change the drop in filter and see what I get (as I am not mechanically inclined enough to want to monkey with cutting holes in anything) or pay to have a complete intake system put in. Just trying to get a guage on if I will see better results one way over another and if the "full" intake is worth the extra $$$$ (and I would probably want to stay away from the oiled filters )
honestly, with the actual deck plate mod being dyno'd and the cost of the deckplate versus the cost of an intake.........do the deckplate mod and get and good drop in filter, honestly probably the best bang for your buck there. and you'll see results!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I ran the K&N drop in on my '89 and '99 and never had any trouble with the oil issues. I think most of that is simply over oiling when cleaning. On the '99 I actually drilled several .5" holes in the front of the air box between the honycombs towards the grill and never had any issues including water from driving in rain. I went with the oil free this time because of ease of cleaning, it is supposed to filter better, and eventual cost savings which would apply either way you choose to go.
Also welcome to TW.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i had a hard time finding a pro dry s filter for a 08 2.7. i found an AFE filter but it was a pro guard. will it still have the same benefits as a Pro dry s?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #27
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC the Pro Guard will need to be cleaned and re-oiled, but the Pro Dry doesn't need to be re-oiled.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #28
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
You might also look at the AEM Dryflow. Also a good non-oiled filter that I've used in the past.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #29
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
The part # of my filter that I just put on my K&N CAI system is 21-30018. But everyones system is different the hight might need to be shorter to fit or something else. But I just highly recomend this filter, its awsome!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
i had a hard time finding a pro dry s filter for a 08 2.7. i found an AFE filter but it was a pro guard. will it still have the same benefits as a Pro dry s?

Here you go on part number.

https://www.shopatron.com/product/pr...31-10123/534.0

You should also consider removing your secondary air filter for best bang for the $$.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #31
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
hey thanks. yeah i do plan to do that. i asked at the dearlership and they said that people that did it had problems with the MAF and check engine light. i figured it was just some bullshit response for me to keep it in there.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
hey thanks. yeah i do plan to do that. i asked at the dearlership and they said that people that did it had problems with the MAF and check engine light. i figured it was just some bullshit response for me to keep it in there.
Haven't read or heard of any of those problems from removing the secondary filter. Have read that there is more of a noticable performance difference when removing it on the I4 vs. the V6.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #33
grantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura aboutgrantfire319 has a spectacular aura about
grantfire319's Tacoma Gallery
I have been reading all the hype on AFE and I am convinced. Problem is, is I can't find a friggin link to get one for a 05 4.0L. I have found some links, but there asking 60+bucks for them. Is this the right price? Seems like several of you have got one for cheaper.I know the 2.7s are cheaper but is this the right price for a 4.0L?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantfire319 View Post
I have been reading all the hype on AFE and I am convinced. Problem is, is I can't find a friggin link to get one for a 05 4.0L. I have found some links, but there asking 60+bucks for them. Is this the right price? Seems like several of you have got one for cheaper.I know the 2.7s are cheaper but is this the right price for a 4.0L?
Check the group buy thread and you may get a cut yet. I purchased mine in Jan. for $44 including frt. so yes they are popular and have gone up $$ a bunch.

https://www.shopatron.com/product/pr...31-10114/534.0

Direct is now cheaper than where I got mine???
Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #35
JesseJames is on a distinguished road
JesseJames's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD CAI on my 08 Tacoma and want to swap out the oiled filter for the AFE Pro Dry S, but I don't know which one I need. Does anyone know which model would fit? Please Help!