1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any tips or suggestions on installing DT LT headers on 4.0L 09?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Bobo_1, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Going to install Doug Thorley long tube headers this weekend on an 09 4.0L. I have installed headers on a couple of cars where the space to install them was insanely small and it was like a ring puzzle - got to get it just right before they will finally slip in.

Looks like doing this on a truck is way easier since there is more room. With only 12K miles I assume the rusted bolts won't be an issue. Doesn't look like there is any EGR to worry about either.

I think I read somewhere that it is easier to remove the exhaust header studs from the block when doing this. Is that true?

Anything else I should know about before starting?

2. Oct 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    The install is easy. Getting the stock manifolds off is a bitch, but the DTLT's are cake. should take no more than couple hours all together. Install the O2 sim and enjoy:D

3. Oct 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    RADTACO68

RADTACO68 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rox
    colorado
    URD supercharger,Urd equel length headers and 3'' exhaust, 6" pro comp lift with Fox coilovers.BDS suspension.
    Just had same headers installed! Cost about 300 worth it! Kickass headers

4. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM
    Bobo_1

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Nice to know I am saving $300 :D

5. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    Bobo_1

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    I got the passenger side in last night. Yeah, what a bitch getting the stock ones out! And the instructions didn't mention it but I had to disconnect the y-pipe at the exhaust to move the y-pipe back. That gave the stock exhaust manifold more room to come off the studs.

My forearms are too big to reach the O2 sensor plug on the drivers side. I think I have talked my wife it to giving it a try - I told her I would bath her if she got dirty:rolleyes:

Just got the driver's side done. It took my wife and I both to get the O2 sensor unplogged. She got cut/scratched doing this. My forearms and hands look pretty cut up. Even with the truck the space is too small but still better than my Trans Am but still not like working on a bike. In that concept Tacoma where they stuck in a v8 theres got to be zero room.

Driver side header takes more work to get it to slide it. Still not bad at all. And after the headers are in things are much more accessible and I was able to reconnect the O2 sensor myself. Removing the bracket that mounts to the end of the header and to the bell housing makes getting the header in much easier.

I also did not use electrical O2 SIMS but used mechanical sims that cost about $6. No codes so far.

6. Oct 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    How are those mechanical sims working out?

7. Oct 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    Good job on doing it yourself. Everyone around austin wanted up around 400-500 to do it so i did it myself. Where do you connect the o2 sims? mine didnt come with directions.

8. Oct 20, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    Bobo_1

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    If you have the eletronic 02 Sims you will have to splice the wires into the ECU. Unless you have the new plug and play 02 sims from URD - this one does not require splicing wires. What do you have?

I tried the mechanical ones, and even double them up to move the sensor further away and I still throw codes. Going to have to get the eletronic ones. URD only has the new plug and play harness. I now realize I would prefer the older model that splices into the ECU.

For the older model: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32966

For the new plug and play it should be just that. Unplug the O2 sensor, plug that into the SIMS, plug the SIM into the 02 sensor.

9. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    kagmyster00

kagmyster00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    05AccessOffroad
    i installed mine last week seemed to be pretty easy except for some rusted bolts. I also got the O2 sim and it hooks up to the rear O2 sensors it is real easy to install when i started mine up no codes but now after a week i can hear it leaking on the passenger side head and both flanges

10. Oct 22, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    Bobo_1

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Install recommends retorgueing all bolts after a 20 minute warm up.

I snapped off one rusted bolt trying to get it off.

11. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    How are the gains?

12. Oct 23, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    Bobo_1

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    I can only give you a seat of the pants assessment. The gains are there. Maybe 10-15 hp. The sound is much better too. I added the MAF Calibrator with a custom map from URD and the gains are even more - again, seat of the pants only.

I always put headers on my vechiles (not my wife's :)) as the gains are always there. The headers for the Tacoma are allot cheaper than any other vechile I have put them on.

13. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    kagmyster00

kagmyster00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    05AccessOffroad
    Bobo was the MAF calibrator worth it and how was that install was it plug n play or did you have to do some splicing cus i was thinking on getting that in the future but didnt know if it was worth it

14. Oct 25, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    Bobo_1

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    Without a dyno there is no true way to know if it was worth it. I just know with the K&N CAI, headers, and exhaust the the computer need to be tuned for those changes. And I was not prepare to buy the X-One ECU programmer for just those changes. So, I got the next best thing. Seat of the pants says it was worth it.

It was not plug and play but it was simple and took less than 30 minutes. You splice into all but one wire. For those I used a wire tap from autozone. For the one sensor wire I did cut and solder.

Products Discussed in

To Top