Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Automatic shifting?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic shifting?

Could you shift a automatic as if it were a manual? Go from L to D as if i had a stick?Aside from having no clutch of course.
Would this damage anything or not?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, obviously at the correct speeds... The Taco autos have a selection for each gear (1-5), so you could call it a clutchless tranny. After the fun wears off, the main use of manually shifting your automatic is for slowing down on down grades and not riding on the brake. Don't abuse it however, because brakes are cheaper to replace than transmissions!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Search "Bad to downshift in a auto". It has some good info.
Heres the link...http://http://www.tacomaworld.com/fo...hift-auto.html
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
Search "Bad to downshift in a auto". It has some good info.
Heres the link...http://http://www.tacomaworld.com/fo...hift-auto.html
Fixed
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...hift-auto.html
Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you need to then do it. If you just want to then there is no need for you to be cool guy.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all. No need to do it just one of those things I wondered about a automatic. Figured this would be perfect place to ask
Old 10-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
I do it sometimes when I want a little bit more power, but after reading part of the thread that MontanaTaco posted, I think I'll take it a little easier. I can't really use my tranny for downshifting at highway speeds though anyways, because I only have 1, 2, and D.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
Thanks I can never get those links to work.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Shifting the auto is useful when towing, going down long grades, and offroad. Otherwise, leave the shifter alone. If you wanted to row your own, they did offer a manual tranny...
Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Shifting the auto is useful when towing, going down long grades, and offroad. Otherwise, leave the shifter alone. If you wanted to row your own, they did offer a manual tranny...
Shifting the auto can be fun too. Many times, when comming to a turn, or slowing down, I go into first around 25 mph, blip the throttle, and let it slow me.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Shifting the auto can be fun too. Many times, when comming to a turn, or slowing down, I go into first around 25 mph, blip the throttle, and let it slow me.
after or before I see a speed trap instead of stepping on the brakes engaging the break light I go into 4th on the freeway dropping down a few miles an hour
Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
after or before I see a speed trap instead of stepping on the brakes engaging the break light I go into 4th on the freeway dropping down a few miles an hour
How many single gears (e.g. L, 2, etc) do you v6 auto guys have?

Quote:
v6's must be able to downshift to 1st at higher speed/RPM's?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
we have all 5

L, 2, 3, 4, D
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
How many single gears (e.g. L, 2, etc) do you v6 auto guys have?
D, 4, 3, 2, and L.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
v6's must be able to downshift to 1st at higher speed/RPM's?
The ECU wont let it go into first until about 15 mph. However, Say your going about 25, and you drop it into first gear, you can blip the throttle, and when the revs match the speed, it will go into gear.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
moderately modded

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
D, 4, 3, 2, and L.
Shoot, that's better than my parents's V6 Ford Explorer. That's a nice setup

Quote:
The ECU wont let it go into first until about 15 mph. However, Say your going about 25, and you drop it into first gear, you can blip the throttle, and when the revs match the speed, it will go into gear.
All right, cool. thanks guys