Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Chip my truck?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
MrGuitarguy's Tacoma Gallery
Chip my truck?

So Ive been thinking about this for a while. I want to get one of those performance chips for my truck BUT, not for its intended purpose. From what I understand those chips do not do much for our v6's, but I have a friend who has a V8 and has a chip. From what I'm told it has an "economical" setting, and he gets 17mpg on his v8. What if I chipped my truck for the sole purpose of using it on economic mode and saving gas? What are the chances of that working?

Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Search URD MAF calibrator and APR X1. There are no "chips" for these trucks. Performance chips only work for vehicle computers up until about 1997 when the reflashable eprom chip was eliminated.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
I would say don't do it. Like everyone has said before most of those are lies. Plus toyota designed these engines to run at optimum performance don't you think that if toyota could simply write a program for magical gas milage they would.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
MrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGuitarguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Plus toyota designed these engines to run at optimum performance don't you think that if toyota could simply write a program for magical gas milage they would.
Not if an oil company/gas company paid them not too.

Who makes the APR X1?

EDIT: NVM.
APR Toyota 4.0L X-One Engine Controller

$1,495.00 ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!!?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuitarguy View Post
That makes no sense. I would think that extra revenue from selling a more efficient truck and the hype from it would be much more than anything a oil company would pay. Plus it isn't like they are getting 45mpg it is only 20 max. That is one out there conspiracy.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Who makes the APR X1?

the possibilities are limitless with it. Its not just a "chip"
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:

Who makes the APR X1?

Toyota is strict with who the give access to their ECUs so you won't find a simple hand held programmer that will tune the ECU like you can get for American vehicles. That APR unit isn't even available for my 2010 because Toyota hasn't given the needed codes to APR for them to develop a X1 that will work with the 2010 and up trucks.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
the possibilities are limitless with it. Its not just a "chip"
Can you tell me what you know. I did a quick search and just found people talking about how great it is. What is so great about it?

Also I read about the MAF calibrator but didnt understand what that did either.

I am completely clueless about this technology

All help appreciated.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
Performance chips are good for diesel's only IMO. I've seen one of the Superchips progammers royally screw up more than a few F150 ecu's. Get the Thorley headers if you want the performance gain you THINK you are going to get with the "chip". Then look into the MAF calibrator and an intake/exhaust setup.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k6750 View Post
Performance chips are good for diesel's only IMO. I've seen one of the Superchips progammers royally screw up more than a few F150 ecu's. Get the Thorley headers if you want the performance gain you THINK you are going to get with the "chip". Then look into the MAF calibrator and an intake/exhaust setup.

I'm contemplating that too. Right now I have a drop in K&N filter and a Magnaflow muffler. What do you think would be the next best performance gaining mod? TRD intake or headers? I know both used together is best but the wallet only allows for one thing at a time. I'm a little scared of intakes though because some rob you of bottom end power. But maybe a legitimate and 50 state legal one is different...