1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats a great intake with CAI for my 2005 tacoma TRD??

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 06WHITETRD, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM
    06WHITETRD

06WHITETRD [OP] Gotta Love my Taco!!!!

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma OFF-ROAD
    Tinted windows, window visors, XDI True Flow intake, White Devil Emblem, sport white grill, stubbie 6' antenna, TRD license plate frame,TRD Exhaust, weathertech floor front & rear, LED map/dome & license plate lights,Black Grille,T-Rex eyebrows,black Skid Plate,Lower bumper cover,Black emblems,white TRD Emblem,lamin-x yellow,Slotted & Cross Drilled rotors,Redline shocks(hood),HID 6k,more to come
    I bought a AEM brute intake but its only for off-road without a carb-legal sticker. Im not happy about it and Im going to return it. So I want to know which intake with a Carb-legal sticker for my tacoma. Let me know asap cuz I want to get one ASAP.

2. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    most are only legal for "off road" use. I always see people debating that the TRD is legal. I don't know the truth though. You could look at getting a high flow dry filter and remove the secondary filter.

3. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:28 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Save yourself some money and get a high flow dry drop in like an AFE. :thumbsup:

4. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:38 AM
    06WHITETRD

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows, window visors, XDI True Flow intake, White Devil Emblem, sport white grill, stubbie 6' antenna, TRD license plate frame,TRD Exhaust, weathertech floor front & rear, LED map/dome & license plate lights,Black Grille,T-Rex eyebrows,black Skid Plate,Lower bumper cover,Black emblems,white TRD Emblem,lamin-x yellow,Slotted & Cross Drilled rotors,Redline shocks(hood),HID 6k,more to come

oh really. how much did you get urs?? how is the truck running?? CAI??

5. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    there was a group buy for the AFE. It is just a standard rectangular filter that fits in the OEM location.

I don't have one. I'm running the URD intake which is not legal in CA.

6. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:42 AM
    06WHITETRD

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    URd oh i see.. well about the group buy AFE. i seen the post. but too much ppl talkin about stuff. bottom line, is how much? lol

7. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
  8. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    the group buy is over. I've never heard of any complaints, but don't expect the same performance gain as an intake.

9. Jul 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM
    06WHITETRD

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    I like the AFE intake.. ppl are telling me to go with just the AFE filter( its cheaper ). so I gotta see whats up.

10. Jul 23, 2008 at 12:39 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    but at the same time, you gotta think about different intakes....as they all dont have the same qualities, and too, with an intake, to get the benefit of it.....you gotta be in the higher rpms,as this is where the extra power from a cai comes from. and it helps to have the maf calibrator to properly tune it. otherwise......the filter is a better choice than the complete cai......imo!

11. Jul 23, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
  12. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:16 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    trd is not legal it states its for off road use only and the aem brute force intake is pending carb number dont know about afe .

13. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    Tacoma_CT

Tacoma_CT Active Member

Member:
    Bristol CT
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with TRD Sp
    True Flow XDI Air Intake, Borla exaust, Hunter brush gaurd, Hunter nurf bars, Toyota Roof rack Comming SOON.. Glass works fenders
    if you want to spend some cash theres always the TRUE FLOW XDI look at my pictures if you want to see it

14. Jul 23, 2008 at 2:31 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i'd look into the full AFE intake setup w/ the pro dry s filter on it

15. Jul 23, 2008 at 3:53 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah, if you are gonna do an intake without doing the maf calibrator too......i think this would be a decent setup!!

16. Jul 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM
    silverbullet05

silverbullet05 OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon

Member:
    First Name:
    SlickRick
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    BLACK 09 DC 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    Icon Coilovers, Icon Rear Res. Shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, Fabtech AAL, TRD CAI, KMC XD Enduros, 285's BFG KM2; Demello Sliders, Full Budbuilt Skid Set
    I got the trd cai and its not legal either. I have never had a cop ask me to pop the hood. Unless you get caught racing or have so many mods that they cant ignore you, I would imagine you would be ok. With the emissions laws in cali I wouldn't expect any to be legal. good luck and let us know if you find one.

sticker that came on trd cai box
    [​IMG]

17. Jul 24, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    k&n is good but its an oiled filter. so u have to keep it oiled. im going for an AFE magnum CAI. its pretty good

18. Jul 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    06WHITETRD

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    I like the true flow xdi and the volant. THose look pretty good in the dyno results.lol.. any one get discount on those or what?? AFE is good but Not sure about it.

19. Jul 24, 2008 at 11:18 AM
    06WHITETRD

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    I have notice that most intake for 05 Toyota Tacoma dont have carb number. I wonder why??? I dont like K&N. its small tube and ppl are selling them. THat means that the intake s u xs.

20. Jul 24, 2008 at 11:28 PM
    06WHITETRD

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Some guy from True FLow wrote to me:
    Thank you for your interest in True Flow. Unfortunately the XDI intake is not CARB approved as of yet. I can tell you however that the majority of our competitors are in the same boat. California has become very strict on their approval process recently and I don't know of any intakes that are being approved. This is very unfortunate because these intakes actually improve emissions and fuel mileage so it really does not make since. A lot of it is just political. Secondly I don’t think any Toyota’s can be CARB approved unless they leave the pre-filter where it is. Toyota uses a carbon pre-filter in their intake system. According to CARB you have to keep that carbon pre-filter or use the exact same material in your system. Since Toyota isn’t revealing what they are using, anyone making an aftermarket intake that removes the carbon pre-filter will not be able to get CARB approval. What most people in California do who run our intake is keep their factory system to put back on when it is time for emissions. Luckily our system is only about a 20-30 minute process to change back so it is not difficult. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

what ya think of this??

Products Discussed in

To Top