Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Cold Air Intakes

Old 10-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Dewman4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Dewman4's Tacoma Gallery
Cold Air Intakes

I just wanted to get everyones thought on this. I am looking at getting a cold air intake put into my taco. I am deciding between Volant Cold Air Intake and the afe stage 2 Si Air Intake. Whats do you all think?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
they look cool and make you sound fast but thats about it.

but i still like mine
Old 10-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
you'll get gains on the top end, but unless you get a maf cal, or apr-x1 dont expect huge gains
Old 10-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Dewman4's Tacoma Gallery
I am new to doing all these mods so can you explain what a maf cal, or apr-x1 are? I am not sure what these are or what they do.

So are you recommending the afe stage 2?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
yes stage II si
Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You already have a cold air intake. Stock is cold air.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
smuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud of
Name: CR
smuggiesrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Correct. Just get a AFE pro dry s filter and be done forever for $80.
Get a TRD cat back exhaust and get the added sound AND the power your looking for. I just did and really am surprised with the HP increase. I can notice a nice sound and power increase in the 2200 to 3200 RPM.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
ScootsOFP is on a distinguished road

Marines: E4/0311/usmcr/OIF 8-1
Name: Scoot
ScootsOFP's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the deckplate mod. Its 20x cheaper and will actually give you mpg/hp gains. Plus, it still gives you a pretty cool sound once you hit 3k rpms.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootsOFP View Post
Check out the deckplate mod. Its 20x cheaper and will actually give you mpg/hp gains. Plus, it still gives you a pretty cool sound once you hit 3k rpms.
he has a 2nd gen, and to the op, the urd maf cal, changes your afr to compensate for the intake, and make your truck run smoother. the apr-x1 is a stand alont unit but gives you full control of your engine.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Dewman4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
he has a 2nd gen, and to the op, the urd maf cal, changes your afr to compensate for the intake, and make your truck run smoother. the apr-x1 is a stand alont unit but gives you full control of your engine.

i am still trying to learn what this all means, I am new to doing mods. What is the urd maf cal. Also what is the apr-x1.

It looks like you put an afe cai on yours, is that something you would recommend?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman4 View Post
i am still trying to learn what this all means, I am new to doing mods. What is the urd maf cal. Also what is the apr-x1.

It looks like you put an afe cai on yours, is that something you would recommend?
URD = Underdog Racing Development, google them and check out their website. You can search for stuff on their website for your year.

AFR - Air/Fuel Ratio

MAF - Mass AirFlow Sensor

The APR-X1 is a unit which controls your engine. It's fairly expensive but people here say good things about it. Apparently if you couple it with a supercharger you'd have a pretty mean Taco.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
BigKatTaco is on a distinguished road
BigKatTaco's Tacoma Gallery
would the trd exhaust fit on a sr5 03 taco
Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman4 View Post

yes i recommend the intake
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
Outside outside the box
TacohaulicJ is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
TacohaulicJ's Tacoma Gallery
I am very very happy with my TRD CAI / Magnaflow exhaust. Maf cal soon to follow as well as Doug Thorley head. Who says ya can't have a little fun w/ a taco
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
i love my long tubes, sounds like a beast
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
Master Gunner Member
SpcDaddy951 is on a distinguished road

Army: Assistant Gunner Bravo Troop, 1st Battalion, 11th Armor Calvary Regiment
Name: Chris Aka Loonz
SpcDaddy951's Tacoma Gallery
Good Stuff i was going to start a post like this but why post now when i got all the info i needed!!! Thx Guys
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #17
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
if you get an aftermarket intake... get either TRD or Afe stage 2... everything else are not true cold air intakes, otherwise stay stock with new filter
Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #18
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggiesrider View Post
Correct. Just get a AFE pro dry s filter and be done forever for $80.
and this
Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
also just throwin this out there, the long tubes are loud depending on your muffler too
Old 10-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Master Gunner Member
SpcDaddy951 is on a distinguished road

Army: Assistant Gunner Bravo Troop, 1st Battalion, 11th Armor Calvary Regiment
Name: Chris Aka Loonz
SpcDaddy951's Tacoma Gallery
question i was looking AFE Intake Stage II But It They Have 2 Options Pro-dry-s And The Pro 5R Now I read The description and i dunno what to get! i mean i'm going to want to use it offroading one day but for the mean time till i get my lift and tired its pretty much my everyday driver!!!!

Please Help!!!