Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

cat back or muffler?

View Poll Results: muffler vs cat-back
muffler 16 53.33%
cat back 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
dirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to behold
EMS: paramedic
dirtytaco2010's Tacoma Gallery
Smile cat back or muffler?

looking to get a good sound from my exhaust. There are 9million and one options and the same amount of threads..I've looked at them..I am leaning towards the flowmaster 40 series muffler vs. the cat back..my question is:

is there any benefit to a whole cat back system vs just changing out my muffler to get sound and moderate gains? A new muffler is much more wallet friendly..and seems to have the same result. and with the extra cash I can do more mods

your thoughts please?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
instead of going that route id suggest going with the Doug Thorely Long tube headers!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
dirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to beholddirtytaco2010 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
instead of going that route id suggest going with the Doug Thorely Long tube headers!
maybe in the future the $$$ is the issue there lol
Old 10-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ah ok lol kinda figured there had to be something that was keeping headers from being considered!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
austinstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I put on a Flowmaster Super 40 single in dual out with 3.5x12 Echo Tips, I wanted something that kept the same departure angle of the truck.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
depends on what you want. if you want just sound, then get the muffler. if you want sound + power, then get the cat-back...
Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Go witht he muffler. Why spend extra money for the cat back exhaust system??
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a muffler... Theres no reason to buy a system, your gains are minimal.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
smuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud of
Name: CR
smuggiesrider's Tacoma Gallery
Just found a 5k mile old trd cat back for $200. REALLY impressed with the extra power. It's noticeable in the 2-3k RPM range. Great sound too!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I personally never liked the idea of just cutting out the stock muffler and welding in something new. I don't mind paying a bit more for a quality catback system.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
austin and whipper snapper i have to agree...i think im gonna just wait a little longer and spring for the flowmaster super 40 single in dual out... fount it today 352...shipped with a coupon code...
Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
bigstik will become famous soon enough

Name: Tanner
bigstik's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Wickedflow muffler installed and I love how it sounds. Also, I plan on getting a resonated tip here soon to deepen the tone a little more. I'm, not sure if you've heard of this site or not but its http://www.bearriverconverters.com
Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik View Post
I've got a Wickedflow muffler installed and I love how it sounds. Also, I plan on getting a resonated tip here soon to deepen the tone a little more. I'm, not sure if you've heard of this site or not but its http://www.bearriverconverters.com
i have and was looking into this actually...was the install easy? is it just a clamp or do you need to have it welded on?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #15
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
You can weld or clamp, but for security sake, I would weld it. I will vouch for a muffler replacement. A catback is kind of nice because ease or install, but you are paying the premium price for about $30 worth of extra pipe. If you buy catback, you are limited to the manufacturers who actually make cat backs. Aero Turbine, my tacos muffler brand, as well as like wicked flows, do not make catback systems. So in that regard you are kind of limited. My vote is that you do a muffler swap. Take the truck to the shop and have them clamp a few different ones in, then weld in the one you like best.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
You can weld or clamp, but for security sake, I would weld it. I will vouch for a muffler replacement. A catback is kind of nice because ease or install, but you are paying the premium price for about $30 worth of extra pipe. If you buy catback, you are limited to the manufacturers who actually make cat backs. Aero Turbine, my tacos muffler brand, as well as like wicked flows, do not make catback systems. So in that regard you are kind of limited. My vote is that you do a muffler swap. Take the truck to the shop and have them clamp a few different ones in, then weld in the one you like best.
Good advice thanks. I didn't know they would let you test a few out
Old 10-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I like the catback because I seem to change my mind about sound a lot.

1st was a Banks catback, great sound just a bit too loud. My son has it on his now.
2nd was a TRD, great sound and just right for me on loudness.

3rd setup was a URD pipebomb which eliminates the rear cats and moves the driverside pipe up and out of the way for skid plates to get max. clearance with the TRD catback. This was too loud again.

4th setup URD pipebomb and stock catback. silent at low rpm and slight throttle openings. Howls nicely at higher rpms and wide open throttle.
I also have the TRD intake so it adds a bit to the wide open howl as well.

I like this (for now ) we will see how things go.
I just prefer the easy changing without welding muffs for my use.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
mainahtacomah is on a distinguished road
Army: 25U 75TH REGIMENT RANGER
Name: Galen
mainahtacomah's Tacoma Gallery
A guy at my work just did up a custom y pipe, rear cat "delete" and custom cat back exhaust with a flowmaster 40 muffler. Piping is all 3 in and i gotta say if you can make one yourself or have one made do it it was worth it for me at least!!! sounds awesome and even though power gain is minimal it is a definite smoother power band.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
MadTaco has a spectacular aura aboutMadTaco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bill
MadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainahtacomah View Post
A guy at my work just did up a custom y pipe, rear cat "delete" and custom cat back exhaust with a flowmaster 40 muffler. Piping is all 3 in and i gotta say if you can make one yourself or have one made do it it was worth it for me at least!!! sounds awesome and even though power gain is minimal it is a definite smoother power band.
aha Mainah,

can yah send pichas of that setup? sounds kindah like what i wanah doo.

You betch yah!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
tacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud of

Name: carlitos
tacomadude18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinstaco View Post
I put on a Flowmaster Super 40 single in dual out with 3.5x12 Echo Tips, I wanted something that kept the same departure angle of the truck.
nice, i wanna get something like this too..
is it custom built??