Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2.7L Intake

Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
2.7L Intake

I want to attempt a DIY intake for my 2.7L 2nd gen Taco. I have already removed the huge resonator which rests inside the fender well.

Since the stock intake is already cold air intake, I am planning on keeping the stock airbox and replacing the stock paper filter with aFe Pro Dry filter. The outlet of the stock airbox is a tad over 3". 3" is what the diameter of the after market intake is. I haven't measured the throttle body inlet, but I believe the inlet is 2.75".

So I am thinking of getting 3" aluminum pipe and few angled couplers. 3" coupler from airbox to the aluminum pipe and 3" to 2.75" coupler from aluminum pipe to throttle body.

Now the difficult thing will be figuring out the angles for the couplers and thats pretty much it. Then getting barb for the valve cover breather & fuel rail breather & drilling and tapping the aluminum pipe. Later on welding the barbs into the intake to prevent possible air leaks after the MAS sensor.

If I am not mistaken this setup should yield the same amount of gains as aftermarket intake.

It will actually be BETTER than aftermarket intake, since it will be a true CAI. Also snorkel is possible with this setup.

Benefits of this setup should be;

- larger diameter piping from airbox to throttle body
- shorter distance for the air to travel achieved by removing the 2nd resonator located above the valve cover.
- less resistance achieved by removing the harmonica coupler between the airbox and pipe with resonator

This whole setup shouldn't cost more than $100-$120 including aFe filter and should yield the same gains as aftermarket intake.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
404 Not Found
Crap.....can't seemed to get the link to work. Let me see if I can fix it

Okay the link below worked for me
new link
Old 10-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post

Thanks man
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Crap.....can't seemed to get the link to work. Let me see if I can fix it

Okay the link below worked for me
new link
Yeah I have seen that before. His intake consists of three couplers, I believe it is possible to get away with using just two couplers.

As well as he used left over parts from intake for another car, I will try to use universal parts and provide list of parts as well as detailed HOW-TO.

Lastly his intake was most likely more expensive, because it is an AEM intake for Prelude which is at least $200 or more new. I am planning to spend less than $60 in universal parts.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #9

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
It just seemed like the gains he experienced were mainly at WOT. It didn't sound like it improved anything at lower RPMs, maybe actually decreased performance there. I'm no expert on intakes so maybe you'll have different results.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
It just seemed like the gains he experienced were mainly at WOT. It didn't sound like it improved anything at lower RPMs, maybe actually decreased performance there. I'm no expert on intakes so maybe you'll have different results.
After market intake is; less restrictive filter, larger diameter & more straight forward piping, allowing more air into the engine, when the engine needs it.

The engine only needs more air than the stock intake can provide in higher rpms and at WOT and that's where will you see gains.

If you expect the aftermarket intake to give you gains everywhere in the rpm range and at every throttle position, you are in for a disappointment...
Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you expect the aftermarket intake to give you gains everywhere in the rpm range and at every throttle position, you are in for a disappointment...
This is so so very true!

Quote:
Since the stock intake is already cold air intake, I am planning on keeping the stock airbox and replacing the stock paper filter with aFe Pro Dry filter.
Best thing you can do as well as removing the charcoal filter right befind the air filter

So I am thinking of getting 3" aluminum pipe and few angled couplers. 3" coupler from airbox to the aluminum pipe and 3" to 2.75" coupler from aluminum pipe to throttle body.
I think that you should make the pipe a smaller diameter...

If I am not mistaken this setup should yield the same amount of gains as aftermarket intake.
Do you consistently drive in high rpm's? They yield nothing in daily driving except sound

Benefits of this setup should be;

- larger diameter piping from airbox to throttle body
- shorter distance for the air to travel achieved by removing the 2nd resonator located above the valve cover.
- less resistance achieved by removing the harmonica coupler between the airbox and pipe with resonator
So my thinking on the subject: the amount of time our trucks spend at high rpm's is nothing (well at least me) so why on earth would I be trying to gain performance of my top end? The thing you want to work on is the powerband you actually drive your truck in. I am trying to find a stock intake system (I would use mine but then id have no intake lol) and I want to see how it would do with the stock diameter tubing just removing some bends and removing the silencer.

That being said is anyone running a intake and willing to part with their stock stuff? PM me
Old 10-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
This is so so very true!

So my thinking on the subject: the amount of time our trucks spend at high rpm's is nothing (well at least me) so why on earth would I be trying to gain performance of my top end? The thing you want to work on is the powerband you actually drive your truck in. I am trying to find a stock intake system (I would use mine but then id have no intake lol) and I want to see how it would do with the stock diameter tubing just removing some bends and removing the silencer.

That being said is anyone running a intake and willing to part with their stock stuff? PM me
You will NOT get gains in the 1-3k rpm range on an 2.7L naturally aspirated engine without forced induction. End of story.

I rev up my engine when I have bed loaded and I am trying to get up to speed on highway. Just yesterday I had two ATV's in the bed of my 5lugger & three guys in the cab...lol Intake would help the engine breather better & accelerate better under such conditions.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

since its a week since your post have you done anything, made it yet or started thinking more into the design and such?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
since its a week since your post have you done anything, made it yet or started thinking more into the design and such?
No because the wifey "needed" make-up, clothes, etc...
Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
Almost there

Quote:
No because the wifey "needed" make-up, clothes, etc...
damn dont you hate that!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
damn dont you hate that!
Life is about compromises, especially in married life. Right now main priority is ordering the Fat Bob's lift this Friday When i am doing the lift in my friends garage, I will take a closer look at the inatake and see if he has some parts laying around
Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #19
Almost there

I as well as contemplating doing a custom intake with the stock air box just need a stock air box besides mine to work with
Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going to use aluminum, I will suggest using heat shield wrapping to prevent heat sync. Essentially warming up the air in the intake tube because the metal holds heat longer than plastics due to it being thicker.

PVC won't do much better. I did a home made one out of PVC on my Dodge, dumb. See if you can get a cheapy ABS plastic tube off of Craigslist or eBay and use that.

That is my suggestion. Either way, you're not going to see much of a gain. Maybe some mpg's, but 2 or 3 at most. But it will sound cooler.