Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

I apologize in advance for this thread...

Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
marcosbullock is on a distinguished road
Name: Marcos
marcosbullock's Tacoma Gallery
Question I apologize in advance for this thread...

So I'm sure there are a million "which exhaust will sound beast?!?!?" threads on here but I felt the need to start my own.

First a little background. This Tacoma (V6) will be my first truck and my first V6 other than the Eclipse that I never cared enough about to mod. I've been building Mustangs since the ripe old age of 13 and have always been in love with them. However, I'm heading to law school and my 2000 Saleen wasn't going to meet the reliability criteria for the next 3 years. It was a 4.6 Liter V8 that had BBK long tube headers, an off road H pipe, and two single chambered bullet mufflers in the rear. It was mean sounding for sure. Before that car I had a 94 Cobra that I had built. It had a 5.0 liter V8 pushrod, Trick Flow intake manifold and top end, Comp Stage 2 camshaft, and the same exhaust as the one listed before. Needless to say, this car sounded like a thunderstorm when it drove by and rumbled the pavement when it was stopped at a red light.

Now I know that I won't be able to get that kind of tone or volume from a 6 cylinder and don't expect to. However, I do want to get the best "V-8" sound I can from this motor and do NOT (at any cost) to have the ricey bumblebee tone that's normally associated with 6 cylinder engines.

So the question is this, if you were driving the Tacoma and had a history of musclecars...what exhaust system would you choose if you wanted a taste of home? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

-Marcos
Old 10-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'd choose stock for you but I like my Banks exhaust for me.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No exhaust can make a V6 sound like a V8. Some are louder than others, and some have more in cab resonance than others. For loud exhaust, look at the FLow masters. I personally like a more mellow tone, quiet when at cruise, but nice growl when opened up. I chose the TRD exhaust.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I too love the rumble of the V8s. I came from a Z71 with a Gibson Supertruck exhaust. That being said, I won't do anything with the exhaust of my Tacoma. If I can't have the big, unmistakable rumble of a V8, to me its not worth spending money on a new exhaust. I've listened to a lot of sound clips of various set-ups (exhaust/intake combinations) and have yet to find one that I like. Some sound better than others, there are plenty that put out nice sound (non-ricey), just none that caught my attention.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
my long tubes sound beast
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've listened to a lot of sound clips of various set-ups (exhaust/intake combinations) and have yet to find one that I like.
Same here. Should have bought a Hemi Ram. Haha
Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosbullock View Post
Same here. Should have bought a Hemi Ram. Haha
Not unless you like puked transmissions...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Not unless you like puked transmissions...
Look at the list of Stangs I had earlier and it's only a fraction of the ones I've owned or built...I've blown more than my share of trannies (pre-emptive "that's what she said") Haha
Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've blown more than my share of trannies (pre-emptive "that's what she said") Haha

I just choked on my lunch when I read that
Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
I test drove '11 Taco Tjx Taco with TRD exhaust and I really liked the sound of the TRD exhaust. very nice note for a v6.
Is that the same exhaust that's on the 09-10 TRD's?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Is that the same exhaust that's on the 09-10 TRD's?
No. The TRD exhaust is a add on system. They are only included on the truck if you buy the overpriced TX/TX Pro package or if the dealer put it on the truck.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BMC  -  Retired USNR
396tears's Tacoma Gallery
build your own sound like i did

18 " stainless magnaflow muffler
imco resonator
stainless tip

sounds great - throaty growl during acceleration
no drone
quiet at highway speeds

definitely no ricey sounds
Old 10-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
The closest exhaust that I've heard personally and not on the internet that sounds like a V8 would be the MBRP Dual exhaust. At idle, it sounds similar* to a V8 but at higher RPM's it doesn't drone much at all IMO.

* Nothing on a V6 will sound like a V8, but this is the closest for me.