Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What kind of gas do you use?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #21
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
I only use shell 93. My truck like's it. The manual does say that you will get better performance from the higher octane gas. Don't believe me???? Read it!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #23
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
I only use shell 93. My truck like's it. The manual does say that you will get better performance from the higher octane gas. Don't believe me???? Read it!

Not all manuals say that. My says 87 and nothing about better performance with 91. The took it out of the manual at some point probably because it wasn't true. I bet people expected some massive power increase but in reality it wasn't much.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #24
bram will become famous soon enoughbram will become famous soon enough
Name: Bram
bram's Tacoma Gallery
mine runs on lpg
Old 10-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #25
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Mine runs on threads about which gas to put in my tank.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I use 87 octane regular gas. I've never seen a difference running premium gas.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post

I agree. I've been running 92 Chevron in my S/C 1st gen ever since I put the s/c on. I just recently switched to Shell V Power 92 and my truck clearly runs better and seems to have more power, less ping. I will be using Shell V power from now on.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 AM   #28
Doug001 is on a distinguished road
Doug001's Tacoma Gallery
I have used 87,89, and 91 but seem to do fine with 87. I just filled up with Chevron and truck seems to run smoother- as it enjoys the taste better! I also used a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner just recently.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:00 AM   #29
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
they must have not had a thread star-rating option back in 2010
this has to be the first thread i've seen on octane that isn't rated 1-star

in before the 1-star rating

... ... ...and i use 89 or 91
Old 03-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #31
fulleraj is on a distinguished road

fulleraj's Tacoma Gallery
Might be psychological, but v6 seems to run smoother and start easier with 91 in the tank during winter time.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #32
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by city81 View Post
Is is possible that I get 10 more miles on every tankfull at Chevron now that I don't use the value fuel at Costco or Safeway Gas? They all add their own chemicals to the same basic batch, but my Taco likes Chevron.
Ding, ding, ding.

All gasoline of a given octane is exactly the same. All refiners, unless delivering directly from the refinery to the station, dump their product into the same pipeline. Marketing is the biggest factor in getting people to buy from one station or another. The do have various additives that are unique to the brand but then again its like debating Sea-Foam vs. Techron.

The biggest different between stations is tank maintenance. If the tanks are in good condition, cleaned regularly and monitored for ground water, then the gas should be good.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #33
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
I bounce back and forth but I can tell a night and day difference between 87 and 93. 93 Gets me better mpg and is noticeably peppier in the lower rpms. I have an FJ though, so its supposed to use premium anyways.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #34
GTS Bruce is on a distinguished road
Name: W
GTS Bruce's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't checked for mileage differences. However my truck runs smoother or better on 89 octane compared to 87. I always use plus 2 points in everything. Better yet some stations have no ethanol gas and every thing with a carb runs much better on it. Lots of marinas have no etoh. See puregas.org and call around your area.Often can be found at a station selling race gas too. GTS Bruce
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #35
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of gas do u use

Regular