Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Unichip dyno (CAI and exhaust)

Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
pamantea is on a distinguished road
pamantea's Tacoma Gallery
Unichip dyno (CAI and exhaust)

Hey guys,

I have the TRD exhaust and come the spring I will be getting a CAI. I also want to either add the unichip or the APRX1. I know the price is huge, and both website claim around 30 HP gains. My question is the dyno on unichip website, is that realistic? I mean 258.2 rWHP? Based on our stock 236 showing a 191 HP on dynos predicts roughly a 19% power loss. So with 258.2 rWHP with CAI, CatB exhaust, and unichip, that would be close to 320 HP at the crank. That doesn't add up to me.... 85 HP gained from those three items? What is going on? Is that a real dyno?

http://www.unichip.us/system/uploads...Y05%20Taco.pdf
Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its more like 50 hp gain. Still alot, and Im sure an "Ideal" condition test.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its more like 50 hp gain. Still alot, and Im sure an "Ideal" condition test.
What do you mean by Ideal?
Also, I have tried searching but could not find a similar dyno. Do you know/have/ or seen a dyno of a non turbo or SC tacoma with higher amounts of HP?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamantea View Post
What do you mean by Ideal?
Also, I have tried searching but could not find a similar dyno. Do you know/have/ or seen a dyno of a non turbo or SC tacoma with higher amounts of HP?
My truck dynoed at 205 stock. I have seen some higher dyno's on custom tacos. Some have been in the upper 250's, so its not unheard of to get that power.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
My numbers are in my sig. The APR X1 is the best bang for its buck as it will help any other performance mods you add later on. self tuning, easily adjusted by the end user, and cant beat the engine guardian that it has. I gained 12hp and 33tq from just adding the x1 to my truck
Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
I take it from what I'm reading...everyone is talking 6 cylinder?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
On what kind of dyno?
IIRC, It was an inertia dyno.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxchrisfla View Post
My numbers are in my sig. The APR X1 is the best bang for its buck as it will help any other performance mods you add later on. self tuning, easily adjusted by the end user, and cant beat the engine guardian that it has. I gained 12hp and 33tq from just adding the x1 to my truck
Keep in mind I have a 4x4 access cab TRD. I don't know if that matters....but im guessing the size of tires matter? In the spring I will be putting 33" on 20" BMF novakane rims.
And I see you have the MAF cal AND the APR. Is that overkill? Do you need both?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Keep in mind I have a 4x4 access cab TRD. I don't know if that matters....but im guessing the size of tires matter? In the spring I will be putting 33" on 20" BMF novakane rims.
No. Useing a MAF cal, and an APR does nothing. The APR gives more tuning than the Maf cal. though.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No. Useing a MAF cal, and an APR does nothing. The APR gives more tuning than the Maf cal. though.
Would I better off with just one or the other? and what about the unichip?
I like the idea of plug and play for the reason of warrenty.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The APR unit is the favorite around here. The Unichip unit works but not as well. Do a search on both and you will see most choose the APR. The APR can be removable if you get the URD harness. If you are 2010 or newer there is no compatable APR unit.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The APR unit is the favorite around here. The Unichip unit works but not as well. Do a search on both and you will see most choose the APR. The APR can be removable if you get the URD harness. If you are 2010 or newer there is no compatable APR unit.
Yeah I heard that Toyota hasn't released the harnesses yet for 09 and up and once they do (if they do) APR will have a unit for these trucks. Why does unichip have harnesses and APR doesn't? Its odd. I've been reading like mad lately about all these options and if the APR does become available in the spring, I will most likely buy that.

Does an aftermarket Y pipe do anything?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Also keep in mind that unichip can only be tuned by unichip certified tuner...
Yeah, I have considered that. I will be buying a CAI in the spring. I have the TRD catback exhaust now. So the unichip would be tuned for that. But if I ever buy the long tube headers, that would suck to have to get it retuned.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
Quote:
I didnt have them in at the same time. went from the maf cal to the x1. the x1 is a great setup also if you want to go with the trd supercharger later on. as most early trd sc's know, they reflash your ecu and once that is done, you cant remove the supercharger because they cant reflash your ecu. so if you were to sell your truck you cant really part the sc out. but if you went with the x1, since it mounts inbetween the harness, and the ecu, your tune is all in the x1 ecu, and you can remove it and never know the difference.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxchrisfla View Post
I didnt have them in at the same time. went from the maf cal to the x1. the x1 is a great setup also if you want to go with the trd supercharger later on. as most early trd sc's know, they reflash your ecu and once that is done, you cant remove the supercharger because they cant reflash your ecu. so if you were to sell your truck you cant really part the sc out. but if you went with the x1, since it mounts inbetween the harness, and the ecu, your tune is all in the x1 ecu, and you can remove it and never know the difference.
I am loving your HP ratings! With a TRD CAI, TRD exhaust and APRX1, what HP ratings would I realistically get with stock tires and with 33" tires? Do the tires make that much difference?