Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flowmaster Catback dual exhaust

Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Flowmaster Catback dual exhaust

Im thinking about buying this exhaust off of a friend. What do you guys think? It couldnt hurt my performance could it? I see people complaining about that concerning exhausts. I have an 05 access cab trd offroad.
Attached Thumbnails
Flowmaster Catback dual exhaust-z.jpg  
Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
I heard dual exhaust does nothing but give you a loud noise and you lose performance because its not a true dual exhaust. I like the sounds tho, how much did he want from you.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
true duals hurt the performance due to not enough back pressure...

fake duals like the ones pictured shouldnt hurt the performance because the single muffler provides enough backpressure
Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTron View Post
I heard dual exhaust does nothing but give you a loud noise and you lose performance because its not a true dual exhaust. I like the sounds tho, how much did he want from you.
He wants 200. Its not a true dual exhaust though.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #5

Here's what they say.

FLOWMASTER AMERICAN THUNDER CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM, ALUMINIZED STEEL, NATURAL FINISH -- <b>50-state legal</b>; 2.5 in. main piping diameter, 2.5 in. tail pipe diameter; Dual rear side exit exhaust system; Single inlet and dual outlet muffler configuration; Includes muffler, pipes, hangers, clamps, bolt, hanger keepers, nut, washers, and dual 2.5 in. polished stainless steel tips with embossed logo, round shape, angle cut, and rolled edge design; Benefits include reduced backpressure for improved acceleration and towing power, cooler under hood temperatures, cleaner and more efficient burn in the combustion chambers, and better fuel economy; Features mandrel-bent 16-gauge aluminized steel tubing; Delivers lesser interior resonance; Increases horsepower and torque; Easy installation; No system modification required; Made in USA.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
Well for 200 I say why not? Unless your crazy about performance wise I would say dont get it. If your looking for a more aggressive sound then I think youll like it. Its not a true dual exhaust so you might lose some performance.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Haha... I didn't want to have to give a backpressure speech but I will lol. A lot of people don't quite understand the pros and cons of backpressure. I am on my phone now but ill get on here in the morning and explain... For the time being I say don't get it, not because of the backpressure concerns, but because of the fact that you most definitely will lose a few ponies due to the flowmaster muffler...
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTron View Post
Well for 200 I say why not? Unless your crazy about performance wise I would say dont get it. If your looking for a more aggressive sound then I think youll like it. Its not a true dual exhaust so you might lose some performance but not enough for you to notice.
it probably wont reduce power. a flowmaster muffler adds power. this is just a flowmaster with two exits.

fake duals have the same backpressure as a typical aftermarket muffler
Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
odie is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Joe
odie's Tacoma Gallery
Flow masters

Two weeks after I bought my 05 Tacoma I put 50 series flowmasters single in dual out. It sounds great. I haven't noticed any performance problems as far as losing horsepower, my normal gas mileage is around 20-21 in the city, and 22-25 on highway. It all depends on how you drive. The only thing I have noticed is that my check engine light is on due to my o2 sensors after the cats are bad. I'm not for sure if the flow masters are the cause or not. I get alot of people commenting on the truck. I think you will like them.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
Hook-Line-Sinker
aKabar7 is a jewel in the roughaKabar7 is a jewel in the roughaKabar7 is a jewel in the rough
aKabar7's Tacoma Gallery
I also have the same muffler set up and have had no problems or haven't noticed anything significant enough to take it off. I will say that sometimes I wish it was a little throatier, but at other times when I'm driving 70 on the interstate I'm glad that it's not any louder. Once the muffler and engine are warm, the set up has a very nice/smooth tone to it that's definitely not overbearing. I think I paid just over 300 brand new from autoanything.com for mine.

I say do it if your only concern is power. Are you planning on racing your truck? It's just like when people put CAI's on their vehicles and swear it's faster. You may gain or lose a few hp, but nothing noticeable.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Hook-Line-Sinker
aKabar7 is a jewel in the roughaKabar7 is a jewel in the roughaKabar7 is a jewel in the rough
aKabar7's Tacoma Gallery
oh and one more thing.......

The mentioned kit is a bolt-on kit, but I would recommend welding it after you get it exactly how you want it. Take it from someone that has stopped on many trails and waited for it to cool off so I could piece it back together. Usually just from it sliding out of the hangers. I think the kits are supposed to come with caps for this problem but there were none in mine.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #12

Installed!

Well I decided to go for it and Im glad I did. Its not too loud but loud enough. Its perfect. I feel less delay from when I accelerate hard but thats all. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Flowmaster Catback dual exhaust-exhaust2.jpg   Flowmaster Catback dual exhaust-exhaust1.jpg